C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the C7 compete with the new NSX?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Can the C7 compete with the new NSX?

While I have been a loyal American Car buyer so far, The next Acura NSX has really raised the bar for the C7. It's what the C7 needs to look like and not just be a modified C5/C6.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

How has it raised the bar, they've only gotten as far as a concept... I do love the old ones though
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
How has it raised the bar, they've only gotten as far as a concept...
Exactly. This alleged 'new Honda NSX' has raised no more bars than the C6 line has because the C6 is here now and the NSX is not...nevermind the C7 that also isn't even out yet.
It's merely a concept, an idea, not an actual car or yard stick that anything can be measured against.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The NSX was always cool. But for being a poor mans Ferrari, it performed exactly as Ferrari did against the Corvette. Only as ferrari's were 4 times the price of a corvette and barely beat it, the NSX was 2 times the price of the Corvette and didnt beat it. Heres some numbers for you. The last year for the NSX was 05. MSRP for the 3.2/6speed was almost $89,000. Conveniently the next year was the first year for the new z06 priced at almost $66,000. Rarity aside, which would you choose?

Obviously a lot has changed in the world of cars. But since its been on again off again and with 10 different potential drivetrains, the NSX is still nothing more then an idea for a long while.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

Sadly most Japanese performance cars become better when you bolt in a LS motor.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

most Japanese performance cars become better when you bolt in a LS motor.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

that is so true! LMAO!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
While I have been a loyal American Car buyer so far, The next Acura NSX has really raised the bar for the C7. It's what the C7 needs to look like and not just be a modified C5/C6.
We don't even know what the details of either car yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I for one, hope the C7 DOESN'T look like that. It looks like a cross between Sideswipe (the Concept Corvette Stingray in Transformers) and a Japanese Sci-fi cartoon car. And I also hope the C7 has more HP than their expected rating of 400HP...

Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree that the new NSX look awesome. It will provide outstanding handling characteristics and all of the car magazines will rave about its handling prowess. But, and you may mark my words, when it is released, it will be underpowered with respect the Corvette. It will not have enough HP to match an equivalently priced Corvette on the track, though it may come close due due its mid-engine design and electronic stabilization. If I am right, I'll buy a C7. If I am wrong, I'll buy the new NSX (assuming it is not outrageously priced with respect to an equivalent Corvette).
Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghostmech
I for one, hope the C7 DOESN'T look like that. It looks like a cross between Sideswipe (the Concept Corvette Stingray in Transformers) and a Japanese Sci-fi cartoon car. And I also hope the C7 has more HP than their expected rating of 400HP...
I also hope that the base C7 doesn't attempt to 'compete with' the Honda in price/market strategy either because historically speaking the NSX has always been substantially more costly.

Originally Posted by C7ZR1forT
It will not have enough HP to match an equivalently priced Corvette on the track
(assuming it is not outrageously priced with respect to an equivalent Corvette).
Again, if history repeats itself then one likely won't even need an 'equivalently priced' Corvette to match/exceed the overall performance of this Honda, a much less expensive model Corvette will probably get that job done.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah maybe the same bar as the Lexus LF-A raised.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate the NSX with a passion.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
Hate the NSX with a passion.
I don't see how ANYONE could hate this ...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stew24
I don't see how ANYONE could hate this ...
I can. Well, 'hate' is a little strong so maybe 'dislike' would be a more appropriate choice?
Or perhaps he was referring more to this torqueless wonder?:

Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the new NSK design is nice but Honda cars don't have "Power/Tq" that we're used to. When you drive them, it really irritates you when pressing the pedal, the car is screaming, but just not pulling hard. I think this issue will be very hard for a Corvette guy to overcome.

Where Corvette is lacking, is a modern and better interior design and the new direct fuel injection system for more efficiency.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the C7 compete with the new NSX?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Exactly. This alleged 'new Honda NSX' has raised no more bars than the C6 line has because the C6 is here now and the NSX is not...nevermind the C7 that also isn't even out yet.
It's merely a concept, an idea, not an actual car or yard stick that anything can be measured against.
Actually, Honda is on record as saying this is pretty much the production car. 2015 is the year. That should be about the year for the Z06 version of the C7-- and I'll be making my m ind up then which way to go. It may be a tough choice-- you know the interior is going to be better
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The NSX will be an interesting car. Honda's developed some neat handling tricks with SH-AWD that will surely be applied here. Think about what it'll be like in the twisties with all four wheels under power. Will it feel nimble? How will it compare to future Porsche and Ferrari performance hybrids? To the brutish GT-R? How "right" will they get it? Honda's short on "right" lately; will this be a renaissance or a(nother) distracting failure?

I really hope the new NSX helps Honda get its mojo back. I miss the small-sporty-smart cars Honda used to build.

Automotive variety is a wonderful thing. Corvette and NSX will be competition in only the most banal sense. In every way that matters they are kindred spirits: cars that exist for the joy of driving.

.Jinx
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That NSX concept is sweet. I love it.

BTW, I think the new hybrid AWD is probably the future of AWD sports cars. No need to have the ICE connected to the front wheels when you can stick little electrical motors at each hub. No extra drive shafts or differentials. If the ICE goes dead for whatever reason, the electrical motors will still pull you along.

This would be a light weight and very little design compromise AWD system.

I'm hardly an AWD fan, but this is where AWD for sports cars should be headed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can the C7 compete with the new NSX?