Sponsored by:

Ill take this over a new C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
I average over 24mpg with my Corvette because I usually drive conservatively.
Nice.
When I drive conservatively on the highway (65-70mph or so) I get 31mpg according to my C6's DIC. The best was when I did that on the way home from the track after running a few 10 second 1/4 mile passes.
Amazing cars these Corvettes are.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
When I drive conservatively on the highway (65-70mph or so) I get 31mpg according to my C6's DIC. ....
Amazing cars these Corvettes are.
The DIC will give you a fair indication, but a manual calculation will give the most accurate results. I manage 27 - 29 on most over the road trips, although I have poked into the 30s. The Corvette is amazing in that regard.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
The DIC will give you a fair indication, but a manual calculation will give the most accurate results. I manage 27 - 29 on most over the road trips, although I have poked into the 30s. The Corvette is amazing in that regard.
Yes, I'd assumed that it might be reading a slight bit on the high side.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yes, I'd assumed that it might be reading a slight bit on the high side.
It's fun to watch the DIC show some astronomical instantaneous numbers when it's safe to do that.

The car's trip mileage is a big plus to the car!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Not sure how accurate the instant DIC numbers are, but I have compared the average DIC mileage with manual calculation on several tanks and, at least on my car, the DIC average comes out to match.

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Don't forget FLYWHEEL storage... That's already being used and is doing quite well. They're cheap, they aren't harmful to the environment, they don't have a cycle life and they don't even require any sort of electric drive system. If you have something bad to say about flywheel energy storage, I'd be surprised if the point is valid.
Hadn't done much research on flywheel energy storage, so did so.. Does seem to have potential. 90% energy efficiency or close to it is impressive. It still needs some way to create the energy, which I still would prefer hydrogen to gas, ethanol, or battery. But seeing as the actual energy source could be much smaller, it is less of an issue.

One drawback I see, is the potential for explosive release of the energy in an accident. Not that isn't an issue with hydrogen, but with modern hydrogen fuel cells it is very minimal.

Of course there is the whole need for dual counter rotating flywheels to eliminate gyro effect, and they have to be 100% synchronized or they create torque forces that can ruin the shafts they turn on. But with today's tech, that should be a minor issue.

Matter of fact, after reading about them, if they could be sealed with their bearing in some super cooling agent, they could use super conductor bearings and their energy efficiency could be greater than 90%. Maybe 97/98%.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
jeremyttt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The super bowl commercial for the new nsx is hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LofPu0ycbo
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Not sure how accurate the instant DIC numbers are, but I have compared the average DIC mileage with manual calculation on several tanks and, at least on my car, the DIC average comes out to match.

Hadn't done much research on flywheel energy storage, so did so.. Does seem to have potential. 90% energy efficiency or close to it is impressive. It still needs some way to create the energy, which I still would prefer hydrogen to gas, ethanol, or battery. But seeing as the actual energy source could be much smaller, it is less of an issue.

One drawback I see, is the potential for explosive release of the energy in an accident. Not that isn't an issue with hydrogen, but with modern hydrogen fuel cells it is very minimal.

Of course there is the whole need for dual counter rotating flywheels to eliminate gyro effect, and they have to be 100% synchronized or they create torque forces that can ruin the shafts they turn on. But with today's tech, that should be a minor issue.

Matter of fact, after reading about them, if they could be sealed with their bearing in some super cooling agent, they could use super conductor bearings and their energy efficiency could be greater than 90%. Maybe 97/98%.
I'm glad you checked it out. It's a point I've been trying to make for a while. Many people on here aren't really willing to look at the facts and just keep on about old news and nothing new.

The good thing about using flywheel tech for economical use is that it doesn't actually need a separate power source to work. Buses use it with a special transmission directly linked to the flywheel storage. When the bus brakes, the transmission changes gearing so that the rear wheels drive the flywheel to spin up. While the bus sits, the flywheel spins free. When the bus accelerates, the transmission changes gearing again to use the flywheel as a parallel power source to drive the rear wheels. This allows the bus to capture and reuse the majority of the energy normally lost to braking via heat.

Porsche uses this same principle, except they use 3 small electric motors. This is a far more costly design and a bit more complex, but it also comes with far more options as far as how the system can be used. The way their system works is that the two front wheels are driven by 2 independent electric motors. The flywheel is driven by a single larger electric motor. The two electric motors act as generators (electric brakes) and the power is sent to the 3rd motor driving the flywheel store the energy. When the power is needed either in flat acceleration or power boosting, the flywheel motor becomes an electric brake and sends that energy to the front wheel motors.

Your concerns about the gyro effect are likely valid. I've had the same thought about that as well. Judging by the size and shape of the Porsche GT3R setup, I'd guess they have stacked two flywheels in the case that counter spin via gearing. It wouldn't be hard to do so and would naturally maintain a 1:1 spin ratio with very little cost or weight.

Quick Reply: Ill take this over a new C7