Sponsored by:

C7 interior expectations.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
That Caddy interior is nice! Maybe a $1-1.5K bump for it?
That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ya know, that could very well even be what ALL of this about actually, it's the Porschephile types simply feverishly seeking some (any) area or gap with which to bash because they CANNOT STAND the fact that Corvettes can get so many things done even better and also do it for less entry fee.
"Oh, your $49k Corvette out accelerates my $100k Porsche? Well uhh, ok but umm, yeah, well, your leather isn't as soft and your car doesn't sell well in Brussels, so there!
Ha, I sure showed that Corvette guy didn't I?!
"

Hell, I'd be pissed off as well if I'd bought a supposedly "world class" sports car and some allegedly "non world class" sports car could easily outperform it for 40% cheaper LOL.
Oh wait, buying/owning a sports car is ABSOLUTELY NOT about performance, I forgot.
How often do you race other people on the street? Do you honestly think a Porsche Turbo owner is pissed that a Viper/Corvette might beat him on a highway roll (because you'd better pray for perfect shifts and excellent surface grip if you're going to "easily outperform" a Turbo from a dig). Do you think people who buy Miatas, Elises, GT-86s, etc, really care about objective performance?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Aside from the usual banter, Guibo takes particular offense when reserved keywords like world class or supercar are associated with the Corvette or to say the Europeans would fawn over the ZR1 if they saw one. The indignation related to those points is priceless. But the truths are self evident, the European car enthusiasts are keenly aware of the Corvette. The media in print, blogs...they can't get enough! The interest is everywhere, Angus and Justin at 200 mph on the autobahn, in Maranello at the Ferrari factory, mixing with the 458 Italia in the Alps. Sport Auto giving it props for being one of the very top production cars for its lap times at Hockenheimring. On and on it goes. Such a pariah to them it is, that Corvette Forums itself is invaded to warn the great unwashed to dare not infringe on society's elite class. It is an unintentional yet axiomatic tribute that they come here to deny Corvette's place among the world's performance supercars.
I subscribe to this opinion in full.

Signed:

Happy C6 owner in Stuttgart - Germany.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Guibo
How often do you race other people on the street?
Often enough.
But even if it's only one time, I'm paying thousands of dollars for a product, I want to know that it can do what it was designed to do and do it well, maybe even be the best at it.
When I buy a hammer I don't want it to just be able to crush milk cartons, I want it to hammer big nails into very hardened wood too.

Do you honestly think a Porsche Turbo owner is pissed that a Viper/Corvette might beat him on a highway roll (because you'd better pray for perfect shifts and excellent surface grip if you're going to "easily outperform" a Turbo from a dig).
So now all of a sudden, the average sports car buyer (or more specifically, the average Porsche sports car buyer) has no ego?
Perhaps just a tad of that "I bought the best, nothing can beat me" vibe running through their mind when they drive their shiny new cars?
You yourself stated that the average income for a Porsche 911 owner is $300k/year, correct?
For a 911 Turbo owner it would likely be even higher.
Most of them got there being timid and non competitive in your opinion?
If you're a hard charging, go getter in the office/trading floor/courtroom/football field/basketball court etc and you've just ponied up $130k+ for what is advertised as one of the fastest cars in the world...well, you see where I'm going with that.
Perhaps a bit of generalizing/stereotyping there but c'mon man, we both live in the REAL world.

Do you think people who buy Miatas, Elises, GT-86s, etc, really care about objective performance?
Some people buy Miatas because they're cute, others buy them because they make good autocross cars or to compete in the Madza Cup spec series or other SCCA road racing classes.
The new Scion/Subaru twins might find similar buyers as they are being touted for their cornering/handling/braking prowess. And an Elise is a hardcore/bare bones sports car that appeals to a very small (and dedicated) audience, they're very low, they're not very roomy/spacious inside, not that good in snow/ice, they can't haul many bags of topsoil. So yes, many buyers of cars like those do care about at least some areas of performance.
Otherwise they'd just buy Altimas, Camrys or Accords.

Again, you're not wrong there. And neither am I.
Neither one of us is actually in a position to determine exactly why OTHERS buy what they do.
That would be quite bold, no?
Just because YOU don't place certain demands on a particular vehicle purchase, doesn't mean that others don't.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Often enough.
But even if it's only one time, I'm paying thousands of dollars for a product, I want to know that it can do what it was designed to do and do it well, maybe even be the best at it.
When I buy a hammer I don't want it to just be able to crush milk cartons, I want it to hammer big nails into very hardened wood too.

So now all of a sudden, the average sports car buyer (or more specifically, the average Porsche sports car buyer) has no ego?
Perhaps just a tad of that "I bought the best, nothing can beat me" vibe running through their mind when they drive their shiny new cars?
You yourself stated that the average income for a Porsche 911 owner is $300k/year, correct?
For a 911 Turbo owner it would likely be even higher.
Most of them got there being timid and non competitive in your opinion?
If you're a hard charging, go getter in the office/trading floor/courtroom/football field/basketball court etc and you've just ponied up $130k+ for what is advertised as one of the fastest cars in the world...well, you see where I'm going with that.
Perhaps a bit of generalizing/stereotyping there but c'mon man, we both live in the REAL world.

Some people buy Miatas because they're cute, others buy them because they make good autocross cars or to compete in the Madza Cup spec series or other SCCA road racing classes.
The new Scion/Subaru twins might find similar buyers as they are being touted for their cornering/handling/braking prowess. And an Elise is a hardcore/bare bones sports car that appeals to a very small (and dedicated) audience, they're very low, they're not very roomy/spacious inside, not that good in snow/ice, they can't haul many bags of topsoil. So yes, many buyers of cars like those do care about at least some areas of performance.
Otherwise they'd just buy Altimas, Camrys or Accords.

Again, you're not wrong there. And neither am I.
Neither one of us is actually in a position to determine exactly why OTHERS buy what they do.
Just because YOU don't place certain demands on a particular vehicle purchase, doesn't mean that others don't.

I would hate if there was only one car available. How boring would that be? We wouldn't have debates like this one.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The average Porsche buyer knows that if he rolls against another worthy sports car on the street and a LEO happens to see it, he's going to jail.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
The average Porsche buyer knows that if he rolls against another worthy sports car on the street and a LEO happens to see it, he's going to jail.
Yep, any bust over 100 MPH brings out the bracelets and the ride downtown. Um, hypothetically speaking, of course.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Often enough.
Describe for me "often enough." Every time you drive? Every month? Then describe for me how often you look at your interior, touch the steering wheel, touch the shifter or armrest, how often you use the seats. How often do you use the steering wheel to steer the car, or use the shift **** to change gears?
So you're telling me that most Porsches are built to be faster than Corvettes/Vipers, interiors be damned. So, why are their interiors so nice?
The Corvette is advertised as a high-quality, luxurious premium car. GM make no small claims that it was designed for that. Is it the best at that? By the consensus of most independent sources, and from owners in this very thread, the answer seems to be no.
When you buy a hammer, you can bet that 99% of the time that you use it, you'll be hammering nails. Not crushing milk cartons. By the same token, I doubt you're racing people 99% of the time you're driving.

Maybe they are. Maybe it's just a figment of your own imagination, and need to feel secure that you bought "the best" product. Have you done a poll on this matter? I have a feeling they aren't so interested in such matters. If they were, they would have bought a Corvette or Viper instead, which they can easily afford.

That they may be advertised as one of the fastest cars in the world does not mean they have to be the fastest cars in the world. Understand the distinction.
You seriously think those ballers/executives/traders care so much about ouright performance and performance/dollar? Some will have Corvettes, but they will also have Porsches, Ferraris, Rolls, Bentleys, Astons, Land Rovers, and Mercs. None of these are particularly effective performance bang/buck machines. I think your typical 1%er, if he's not taken by limo to work, is going to find the Corvette's outright performance advantage of little use in an urban setting of traffic, cops, speed cameras, pothole-ridden and cracked roads, etc. As such, other qualities of a car (its refinement, ride, overall quality and feel) become much more important.

The new Scion/Subaru twins might find similar buyers as they are being touted for their cornering/handling/braking prowess. And an Elise is a hardcore/bare bones sports car that appeals to a very small (and dedicated) audience, they're very low, they're not very roomy/spacious inside, not that good in snow/ice, they can't haul many bags of topsoil.
And of those million or so Miata owners, you're telling me none of them buy them because they're fun to drive? Out of those millions, what % do you think ever actually end up in a Mazda Cup spec series or SCCA road racing class? The fact that the new Scion/Subaru twins are being touted for their cornering/handling/braking prowess doesn't mean people are buying them to acheive great objective performance. In fact, you've totally misread Toyobaru's intent with those cars: It's about fun. Not headline-grabbing objective numbers.
Again, you seem to not accept that, for the vast majority, they want something fun and practical. That the Elise appeals to a very small audience doesn't diminish the fact that it's a sports car that was designed not for outright numbers. It wasn't designed to beat other cars, as you claim that is the purpose of owning/buying a sports car. Once the performance level gets to a certain point, most owners won't care about the marginal differences between, say, a Turbo or a ZR1.

The difference here is that you're marginalizing the importance of fun in a sports car. You seem to be saying that there is no other point in owning/buying a sportscar than to impose one's own egotistical superiority over others by beating others down on the street.
I have already conceded pages ago in this very thread that some buy for performance/dollar. Why you continue to overlook this fact is quite puzzling. But we can look at the vast majority of sports car buyers, especially in those in the premium class, and get an idea of what the majority don't necessarily want above all else. The case was made earlier that the Corvette outsells all 2-seat Porsche sports cars, Merc 2-seaters, other sports cars and exotics combined. As it turns out, that is not even true in the US, one of the most value-conscious of the industrialized nations. Nevermind the outlook when you look at total sports car sales around the world. And with Viper (faster than Porsche for similar money) once on its deathbed and now resurrected with an improved interior, I think we can safely assume that those who value performance/dollar are in the minority. It's not the major consideration in buying/owning a sports car that you've made it out to be. It might not even be a major consideration for the vast majority of Corvette buyers, who might just want something fun, something American, something that looks good, is low and sporty, and (yes) offers more status and cachet and technology than a Mustang.

Last edited by Guibo; 05-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

..... The case was made earlier that the Corvette outsells all 2-seat Porsche sports cars, Merc 2-seaters, other sports cars and exotics combined. As it turns out, that is not even true in the US, one of the most value-conscious of the industrialized nations. .......
So did you include the 911 in that Porsche count? If so, you shouldn't have done that. It is not a "2 seater". It is a 2+2. So it is essentially the Boxter and the Cayman. And maybe a couple of the track versions.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guibo - Outstanding reply.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Notch
Guibo - Outstanding reply.

Originally Posted by Racer X
So did you include the 911 in that Porsche count? If so, you shouldn't have done that. It is not a "2 seater". It is a 2+2. So it is essentially the Boxter and the Cayman. And maybe a couple of the track versions.
I didn't include any of the 911s in that count. I know it's not a 2-seater (but I have a pretty good hunch why someone would want to leave it out of sales calculations).
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I never characterized a "voracious European buying public." I said they would fawn over it if they got the chance to see the ZR1, but it was not there. You cited two registrations in UK as your grand rebuttal. And now you are saying that was not a problem of too few cars? The FACT was that GM never intended to bring more than two ZR1s into UK, and take orders for 10 in 2009.
I cited two registrations in the UK and also an article by Georg Kacher in Car Magazine which said 25 were planned for the UK.
Prove to me that 2 were all that Kroymans was able to bring in since 2009. Prove to me that you even need an official importer to bring a car into the UK. Then explain the Carrera GT and Ford GT new vehicle registrations; 50 CGTs were earmarked for the UK, but they ended up with 85. Fact of the matter is, you really don't need an official importer to get cars in the UK. Those early R35 GT-R tests in the UK were done on privately imported cars from Japan.
Prove to me the existence of more than (2) ZR1s in the UK from 2008 to 2010. The rest of your post is obfuscation.

Check the timeline:
November 2004 - Cadillac and Corvette Distributorship
Pendragon became sole distributor in the UK. Operating from a number of sites, these editions to our portfolio strengthen the relationship with general motors.
http://www.pendragonplc.com/Corporat...onHistory.aspx

May 2007
"General Motors is poised to take responsibility for Cadillac and Corvette in-house in the UK in a move that could eventually see Pendragon lose solus distributorship.
However, the carmaker is playing down the changes, saying it is still in talks with partners Kroymans, Cadillac’s European importer, and Pendragon.
Pendragon was appointed in late-2004 as the UK’s only Cadillac and Corvette retail group. It originally planned to build 18 ‘Experience centres’ within three years and quickly established 12, but last year suffered a £3.5m loss from the operation and has this year closed two sites citing slow sales.
Volumes in the UK have been disappointing. Expectations had been to sell more than 4,000 units after three years, but last year Pendragon sold just 400 Cadillacs. So far this year it has sold 32 cars.
GM had already said that it would bring the fleet sales operation in-house this month."
http://www.am-online.com/news/2007/5...us-deal/15026/

July 2007
"General Motors UK operational headquarters in Luton has assumed responsibility for sales, marketing, distribution and aftersales for Cadillac, Corvette and Hummer in the UK market following a strategic review by the official European importer, Kroymans Corporation and General Motors Europe.
Corvette, the classic all-American sports car, has seen steady growth in its niche. Corvette sales will continue to rise with the introduction of several exciting new derivatives in 2008*."

http://www.duemotori.com/news/auto_n..._in_the_UK.php
*Corvette sales did not continue to rise in the UK. They improved in 2007 (22 new registrations) from 2006 (1), but dropped in 2008 (6), before Kroyman's problems in 2009. Overall Corvette production for Europe dropped slightly in 2008 over 2007, so it appears even GM anticipated no increase

April 9 2008
Motor Trend reports Corvette sales already on downward trend in Europe (down 30% vs 2007):
http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-boasts-...urope-410.html
Irrelevant. ZR1 not available for sale during these time periods. More obfuscation.

November 2008
Car Magazine reports that 25 units of the ZR1 were planned for the UK, in a preview test in the US. More about that in the 11th post of this thread (check out the "Corvette hater" who started that thread):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-uk-tests.html
You cite a thread started by YOU. There is no quote from Car Magazine and I don't know what you could be referring to in the 11th post. More obfuscation.

January 8 2009
Car Magazine announces UK's winners and losers in car sales in 2008. Porsche does make the list of losers, down 31% but still delivering over 5918 cars. Cadillac down 50%. Corvette down 75% (13 cars sold)
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/news/se...rs-and-losers/
More obfuscation.

March 2009
"Netherlands-based Kroymans Corp., filed the equivalent of Chapter 11 protection from its creditors in Dutch courts recently. Last week, the courts granted Kroymans approval to suspend debt payments on four of its business units, including Kroymans Import Europe, which distributes the Cadillac, Corvette and Hummer brands in Europe.
A Kroymans spokesman told the trade journal the court-appointed administrators will take possession of the 3,500 unsold Cadillacs, Corvettes and Hummers at its 165 dealerships on Monday. "

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/03/...tors-woes.html
No proof of ZR1s in that group of 3500 unsold cars. The car was announced on sale in the UK Sept 2008 in a quantity of 2, and available to order (ATO) just 10 units in 2009. You found two registrations. That squares with the announcement. By March 2009, Kroymans was in bankruptcy and it wasn't until December 2009 before International Fleet Sales took over distribution as GM came out of bankruptcy.

You've been saying that any European who wanted one could get one, but with an ordering hassle like that, a proven supply of just two left hand ZR1s, that was not an obstacle to owning one but the interior was? Absurd.

IFS Europe B.V. had already taken over from Kroymans after its bankruptcy, and it is under their auspices that the Corvette-Europe site operates:
http://www.corvette-europe.com/imprint.html

So what has happened since then? Bauer Millett took some of Kroymans's European stock of unsold Corvettes, Cadillacs, and Hummers and temporarily increased UK sales in 2009 for two of them (not Hummer). Meaning those 2 ZR1s sold in the UK may very well have come from Europe which blows a hole in the theory that ZR1s weren't imported; if they weren't imported, how did they get there? GM had 2010 to sort out their distribution issues. Yet by 2010, only 2 Corvettes sold in the UK (zero ZR1s); there was only one new Corvette registration in the UK for that year which tells us that perhaps 1 was privately imported to Europe, meaning it can be done. GM had 2011 to sort out their distribution issues. Zero Corvettes sold/registered.
So you're saying that by 2010, (2) right hand ZR1's came into the UK from Europe. Your timeline is wrong. ZR1s were not in that group of unsold cars that bankrupted Kroymans. The window for importing the two ZR1s was between 4th quarter 2008 and Kroymans bankruptcy filing in Mar 2009. It was announced that just 2 ZR1s went on sale after Sept 2008, and that only 10 were available to order for 2009. So if we count all 12, that was the supply available to 800 million in Europe and UK.

It's pretty apparent that the Corvette's sales problems in the UK (and the rest of Europe in general) had started before the bankruptcy of Kroymans, who has said in no uncertain terms that they missed sales targets. Not supply targets. Short of a ship sinking (it's happened) or a tsunami (that too), supply is usually not a problem for a market that wants a product.
It was in the case of the ZR1. You'd have had better luck feeding 5 thousand with 5 loaves of bread and two fishes.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Prove to me the existence of more than (2) ZR1s in the UK from 2008 to 2010. The rest of your post is obfuscation.
Irrelevant. ZR1 not available for sale during these time periods. More obfuscation.
So now you are allowing that 2 ZR1s were in the UK. If ZR1s were never imported as you had originally claimed, how did they get there?
A ZR1 can be privately imported into the UK, just like the Carrera GT (of which 50 were originally planned for the UK, but 85 new vehicles were eventually registered). Just like the Ford GT (of which 28 were officially allocated to the UK, yet 30 were registered in 2006 alone, with a total 76 registered). Tell me why a ZR1 can't be imported in the same manner.
Here's a ZR1 in Sweden, filmed 5/2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCw88BNJAPM
This should tell us that by 2010, the ZR1 was unquestionably imported into Europe. So why zero registrations in the UK for 2010?

Note the caption in this photo:
"May I proudly present: One of the very first ZR1s to be photographed in Germany (second one in Munich)
This photo was taken on July 10, 2009"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/germanspotter/3707980542/

And this one:
"The owner is the youngest billionaire in Switzerland.
This photo was taken on July 25, 2009 in Lehel, Munich."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenopho...hy/3754888126/

Here's one in Italy, also in 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPc9zwR2XI

Here's one at a German import tuner show, which was held Apr 30 thru May 3, 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6mA-iuUiM

Here's a ZR1 in a showroom, snapped in April 2009:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonny-bens/3446256139/

Your claim that the ZR1 was never imported, and particularly with regard to the time frame in question, appears to be patently false.

The window for importing the two ZR1s was between 4th quarter 2008 and Kroymans bankruptcy filing in Mar 2009[/b]. It was announced that just 2 ZR1s went on sale after Sept 2008, and that only 10 were available to order for 2009. So if we count all 12, that was the supply available to 800 million in Europe and UK.
If only 10 were available for order for 2009, then why did they make 37 of them with the European export RPO? ~9 were available for 2009 to the UK. Not all of Europe. Tell me why there are zero new ZR1 registrations to the UK in 2010 and 2011.

No proof of ZR1s in that group of 3500 unsold cars.
I have no proof that a blue Corvette convertible or a black BLS was in that group of unsold cars, but do I need it to show that Corvette/Cadillac sales have been on the decline before Kroymans went bankrupt? Not at all. We have the slowdown in both Corvette and Cadillac sales numbers, as well as the decline in European-market RPO's for the Corvette. Meaning GM had already anticipated declining demand on already low production numbers. All of this is documented before the Kroymans bankruptcy. All of this documented by the fact that GM announced withdrawal of Cadillac/Corvette brand from half of 25 markets. Simple fact is, they had a dealer network but hardly anybody showed up to buy, which shows that in the supply/demand chicken vs egg analogy, it is demand that drives supply. Corvette's presence in Europe is almost non-existent because demand is virtually non-existent, compared to perceived competitors.
I wasn't talking about the ZR1 being in that group (though it very well could be); I was talking about the Corvette's low demand in Europe in general. The obfuscation here is being done on your part.

You cite a thread started by YOU. There is no quote from Car Magazine and I don't know what you could be referring to in the 11th post. More obfuscation.
I was referring to this article, which clearly timed-out as it was posted years ago:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4619/c6zr1.jpg

25 planned for the UK. Currently running at 2 new registrations. You can't pin this on Kroymans.

It was in the case of the ZR1. You'd have had better luck feeding 5 thousand with 5 loaves of bread and two fishes.
So are you saying that people in the UK/Europe starve for the ZR1 just like 5 thousand people fighting for 5 loaves of bread and two fishes? Tell me again why Geiger even has a ZR1 for sale on its website, and heavily discounted too.

Last edited by Guibo; 05-23-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Guibo you make me nuts!

The Vette is absolutely world class at what it does; nothing else in the world can touch it for the price (even the new Mustang Cobras/Shelbys will fall short in certain performance parameters, even if only fuel efficiency and tire wear LOL)

The majority of folks on this site get that there are finer details out there on equivalent performers (at 2X or more the price), and there are really sweet sports cars at the same price with a bit more fit and finish, or a more fashionable interior design theme (which may not age all that well, BTW, given that Vette interiors in the C5 and C6 got more like old Porsche interiors, while Porsche and BMW slathered on more brightwork, sound deadener, and curb weight!) They also made their choice based on what the Vette does offer because that's what they value.

But, what YOU don't seem to get is that given the choice between retaining what makes Vettes world class at a great price, or classing it up with trim and "niceties" while charging $10K more, most of us will go for the former every time.

Back on topic -- let's get the interior a little bit more stylish while retaining the excellent ergonomics and big, legible instrumentation, offer reasonably-priced factory option sport seats that reflect truth in advertising, and do it at minimal cost. Then continue to stay ahead of Euro and Asian performance at much lower entry price, make the thing look like it is doing 120MPH standing still, and all will be well. It's not rocket science.

The rest of it seems like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

But, what YOU don't seem to get is that given the choice between retaining what makes Vettes world class at a great price, or classing it up with trim and "niceties" while charging $10K more, most of us will go for the former every time.

...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely disagree!!! With the exception of some who are just obsessed with keeping the car cheap (in price, content and stature), I am sure most will pay more for a more refined and upscale car.

I would have no problem with a $60K base Corvette if it was world class in every aspect (interior, transmission, engine, dealer experience, warranty, etc). And if GM does the above then guess what? The Corvette would still be relatively very cheap and the best bang for the buck even at $60K! If $10K extra is really going to break someone that is looking for a high-line vehicle then they really have no business buying a Corvette in the first place.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
Guibo you make me nuts!

The Vette is absolutely world class at what it does; nothing else in the world can touch it for the price (even the new Mustang Cobras/Shelbys will fall short in certain performance parameters, even if only fuel efficiency and tire wear LOL)

The majority of folks on this site get that there are finer details out there on equivalent performers (at 2X or more the price), and there are really sweet sports cars at the same price with a bit more fit and finish, or a more fashionable interior design theme (which may not age all that well, BTW, given that Vette interiors in the C5 and C6 got more like old Porsche interiors, while Porsche and BMW slathered on more brightwork, sound deadener, and curb weight!) They also made their choice based on what the Vette does offer because that's what they value.

Back on topic -- let's get the interior a little bit more stylish while retaining the excellent ergonomics and big, legible instrumentation, offer reasonably-priced factory option sport seats that reflect truth in advertising, and do it at minimal cost. Then continue to stay ahead of Euro and Asian performance at much lower entry price, make the thing look like it is doing 120MPH standing still, and all will be well. It's not rocket science.The rest of it seems like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
Nicely stated, and good luck with staying on topic . . .
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Where does this $10K number come from? That's an absurd figure for upgrading the standard interior. This is a mass-produced automobile; you're not going to do what Lamborghini does, you're going to do something that can be done on a 30,000 cars-per-year assembly line, not something that you buy 2 of from a small-town craftsman.

Sure, you might charge $10K for a whole set of high-profit hand-selected hand-stitched color-matched hides, like Porsche does, but you'll notice they don't do that on the standard interior.

Most Corvette buyers would not pay an extra $10K just for the interior. That's absurd. But GM can add $1K to the base MSRP and deliver a fantastic interior, and offer the expected $2K-$3K technology package and the $3K Recaros and even a $2K all-leather package and make most Corvette buyers very happy.

As long as we can get the HUD by itself.

.Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-23-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: don't package the HUD!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 interior expectations.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Argent C5

Back on topic -- let's get the interior a little bit more stylish while retaining the excellent ergonomics and big, legible instrumentation, offer reasonably-priced factory option sport seats that reflect truth in advertising, and do it at minimal cost. Then continue to stay ahead of Euro and Asian performance at much lower entry price, make the thing look like it is doing 120MPH standing still, and all will be well. It's not rocket science.

The rest of it seems like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
While I do for the most part agree with this ^ ....I do have to see this side of the coin as well:
Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
I would have no problem with a $60K base Corvette if it was world class in every aspect (interior, transmission, engine, dealer experience, warranty, etc). And if GM does the above then guess what? The Corvette would still be relatively very cheap and the best bang for the buck even at $60K! If $10K extra is really going to break someone that is looking for a high-line vehicle then they really have no business buying a Corvette in the first place.
The interesting part of that is that it might not even cost a whole $10k more do accomplish this.
Through the magic/wonders of quantity purchasing/amortization (and perhaps even through some partial sharing with high line Cadillac models?) I'm guessing that GM/Chevrolet/Team Corvette could in fact deliver a very stylishly appointed interior with quality materials (maybe not glove soft Bentley/Rolls Royce levels mind you, but at least a match for the Carrera S) for less than a $2k increase in base MSRP over the current base C6's layout. Any further (3LT, 4LT etc.) upgrades can still be available for those that want the cognac leather with pink silk stitching and seat massagers LOL and that would also allow for some extra profits for GM.
30k - 40k units per year over the course of 4-7 years, it's very possible that one could have their cake and eat it too.

Now, I like my money and do want to retain as much of it as possible while still owning/enjoying my sports cars. But I think even I with my uber thrifty mentality could bring myself to pay $53k for a Corvette with an awesome interior versus only $51k (or even $55k versus $53k, however pricing plays out for the C7) for one with an adequately good one (which is how I find the current base C6 to be inside).
$60k+ for a base Corvette? Maybe others would still go for it but that would only work for me if the car delivered C6 Z06 levels of performance (as performance is still my main priority) along with said improved interior accoutrement right out of the gate, which I just don't see happening.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Where does this $10K number come from? That's an absurd figure for upgrading the standard interior. This is a mass-produced automobile; you're not going to do what Lamborghini does, you're going to do something that can be done on a 30,000 cars-per-year assembly line, not something that you buy 2 of from a small-town craftsman.

Sure, you might charge $10K for a whole set of high-profit hand-selected hand-stitched color-matched hides, like Porsche does, but you'll notice they don't do that on the standard interior.

Most Corvette buyers would not pay an extra $10K just for the interior. That's absurd. But GM can add $1K to the base MSRP and deliver a fantastic interior, and offer the expected $2K-$3K technology package and the $3K Recaros and even a $2K all-leather package and make most Corvette buyers very happy.
Oh, ya beat me to it by 4 minutes LOL.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

As long as we can get the HUD by itself.

.Jinx
I'm not only talking about the interior but the car as a whole. Better transmission, better technology, better warranty, better warranty, etc along with a world class interior.

It could be $5K or $10K?? The point is that if the corvette had all of the above at a base price of $60K, it would still be the best bang for the buck out there.

Quick Reply: C7 interior expectations.