Sponsored by:

Will the C7 have LED headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Will the C7 have LED headlights.

Okay here is what I have been thinking. I believe Audi was the first to use LED lights in the front headlight area. Since then I have seen them on Lexus, BMW, MB, Porshe and the Chrysler 300.

Do you think GM will hop on this trendy bandwagon and apply them to the C7?

Do you want to see them on the C7?

Are there any benifits to using LED in the front end?

For me they are gimmicky in regards to where they are used. For example, I saw a new C class MB that had a strip of four of them on the lower front fascia area and wondered if they were effective. It seems in place of round fog lights, they would be virtually useless.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Okay here is what I have been thinking. I believe Audi was the first to use LED lights in the front headlight area. Since then I have seen them on Lexus, BMW, MB, Porshe and the Chrysler 300.

Do you think GM will hop on this trendy bandwagon and apply them to the C7?

Do you want to see them on the C7?

Are there any benifits to using LED in the front end?

For me they are gimmicky in regards to where they are used. For example, I saw a new C class MB that had a strip of four of them on the lower front fascia area and wondered if they were effective. It seems in place of round fog lights, they would be virtually useless.
If positioned properly and used with powerful LED, they are excellent for "Daytime Running Lights", For example used on new MB or Audi.

To me LED isn't for lighting up the road, but more about about making a car more visible in certain daytime lights.

And it could give a car a beautiful set of eyes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope GM incorporates LED into their lighting scheme. There are some very tasteful and sexy examples on Audi, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc. to give GM some inspiration so they can raise the bar. Driving lights, brake lights, accent lighting, interior lighting - its all good.

LED lighting can really dress up a performance car - kinda like jewelry on a pretty woman.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I don't think they are as good as HIDs as headlights but maybe the technology is improving?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Don't count on it. It's 2012 and the C6 doesn't even have them in its tail lights.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
Don't count on it. It's 2012 and the C6 doesn't even have them in its tail lights.
GM will have to modernize eventually. The current price tag of a fully-optioned 2012 Z06 is around $100k and that's getting to be rarified air. Seems like a lighting upgrade is appropriate in that price range.

We can always hope.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Yes for tail lights. Perhaps corner lights.

For head lights they are not optimal. To get enough lumens you have to have a large die or multiple LEDs. This is not optimal for projecting a tight beam. Maybe with a lens system. Plus you need sharp cutoffs. Perhaps they will be a good solution someday. Maybe with multiple LEDs and an complex set or reflector and different lens on each you could get an interesting pattern.

Hey, I hear BMW is working on using LASERs, that could be interesting.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Racer X

For head lights they are not optimal. To get enough lumens you have to have a large die or multiple LEDs. This is not optimal for projecting a tight beam. Maybe with a lens system. Plus you need sharp cutoffs. Perhaps they will be a good solution someday. Maybe with multiple LEDs and an complex set or reflector and different lens on each you could get an interesting pattern.

Audi now has pure LED headlights as an option, very expensive, not sure how good they work.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

GM has experimented with LED headlights, as evident by the LED bars in the headlights of the SRX, CTS, ATS, and Escalade Platinum. The Escalade Platinum headlights are also completely powered by LEDs. They are certainly efficient lights, and last much longer than regular lights. I hope GM utilizes them for the C7.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Audi now has pure LED headlights as an option, very expensive, not sure how good they work.
It is not that they can't be made to work, but they are why more complicated than a point source hot wire or arc with a parabolic reflector and pattern shaping lens. They may require active cooling to work well. Have you seen the cooling structure on a 100 watt equivilent of the household can light? Regular incandescents are not very bothered by high operating temperatures, LEDs are. It hampers their output and life.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually they will have laser-beam headlights to help deal with idiot drivers.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Nissan Leaf has LED headlights. Can Corvette aspire to be as tech-cool as the leaf?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Corvette won't have LEDs, but they're working on the next best thing, which they're sure will really impress us -- CFL.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Nissan Leaf has LED headlights. Can Corvette aspire to be as tech-cool as the leaf?
The Leaf could not over drive headlights powered by a couple of double A batteries.

LEDS are well suited to certain tasks. Sometimes companies put in technology for technolgies sake, not for good rational engineering design reasons because it is the most appropriate solution.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Escalade's top model uses LED headlights. GM has the technology. Why not use LED headlights on the C7? They're bright and they can be focused well.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Laser is a better solution.

The biggest problem with LED headlights is heating the glass in front of them. This isn't an issue with laser, HID or halogen since they all project their heat forward through IR waves. LEDs project forward very little heat in comparison and (as mentioned) the heat builds up behind the LED requiring an active cooling system.

The reason why this is a problem is because the heat from the headlights helps and effectively removes frost from the headlights naturally.

I've been doing testing with 60 watt LEDs to see if I can build LED headlights for the C5s. It turns out that the heating issue would be a big one for anyone anywhere that the lights may frost up while driving or on the driveway.

However, the LEDs definitely put out more light than HIDs. My single LED chip puts out approx 4200 Lumens; considerably more than a 55w HID putting out 3200 Lumens. And these are far more durable as far as powering up/down, vibration and power flux.

The hardest part has been designing a housing for them. But I believe that if you actively heat the front lens with the heat generated by the LEDs, they could be a very good option.

It is not that they can't be made to work, but they are why more complicated than a point source hot wire or arc with a parabolic reflector and pattern shaping lens. They may require active cooling to work well. Have you seen the cooling structure on a 100 watt equivilent of the household can light? Regular incandescents are not very bothered by high operating temperatures, LEDs are. It hampers their output and life.
Correct. The biggest issue is that the light output isn't in the same pattern or shape as light from a standard HID or Halogen bulb. So creating a good housing/reflector/lens setup is a seriously difficult task.

Originally Posted by Like dem Vettes
The Escalade's top model uses LED headlights. GM has the technology. Why not use LED headlights on the C7? They're bright and they can be focused well.
I'd like to know how they're making this work as far as cut-offs.

This was my first test with the LED chip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYW_az9pSwM

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 02-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

I found so more detailed information on the Escalade LED headlamp assembly. It is interesting, but complex. Claims to be the first LED headlight assembly in the US that uses LEDs for both High Beam and Low Beam.

This the article: http://blogs.motortrend.com/blinded-...ogen-2069.html

Highlights: Low beam requires 5 lamps (each side) that each have a different pattern to get the right total pattern, and 2 lamps for the high beam to get the right pattern. Expected replacement cost? $1500 each. Requires active cooling of the headlamps. Good news is that the cooling fan is replaceable. Power draw is less than Halogen and more than HID. Color temp is 6000K.

Are you sure you want LEDs right now?

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C7 have LED headlights.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In parts, I can do it for about $400 for BOTH sides as far as low beams go. I haven't tested the 100 watt LEDs I want to use for the high beams yet. $1500 is just BS GM pricing.

Looking at how they're cooling the lights and heating the front glass, it looks EXACTLY like what I'd planned to do.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
In parts, I can do it for about $400 for BOTH sides as far as low beams go. I haven't tested the 100 watt LEDs I want to use for the high beams yet. $1500 is just BS GM pricing.

Looking at how they're cooling the lights and heating the front glass, it looks EXACTLY like what I'd planned to do.
Remember the $1500 is for the whole assembly, if it gets damaged in a wreck.. The cover, and everything. Have you priced those kind things for HID lights oe even halogens? They aren't cheap either. Their cost is probably $300. I looked a lot of places online for a replacement assembly price, but no luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Of course it will, even Kia's have them now

I just hope GM is not behind (in typical GM fashion) and puts on the LED's that were in style a few years ago (far apart) and makes them closer or one piece giving the car a sexier look.

Quick Reply: Will the C7 have LED headlights.