C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 SWAP for the C7? ------ Who really wants a smaller 5.5L!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Runge_Kutta
If you combine the DI with a cam-in-cam design and the 3V head
Interesting that you mention that, no one has really talked about that lately but there were photos of a peculiar but very innovative LSx motor with 3 valve/offset rocker heads floating around quite a few years ago and some had even thought that it was going to be the 'then new' LS7 or 'new' LS3, but it of course wasn't.
Maybe it's coming now?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Runge_Kutta, good to see you here. Always informative and thought-provoking.

It's been, what, nine years since we saw the 3V OHC patents break? I wonder if DI hasn't bought the 2V engine more time and the 3V will stay on the shelf for a while longer. GM's probably not in a hurry to complicate the valvetrain of their truck engine.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Until this car runs off rainbows gumdrops and has an exhaust that can heal the Ozone layer I say just put the larger engine in there and forget fuel econ and all this other stuff that should be reserved for Cruzes Impalas and family cars...

Most people don't even drive their Corvette year round where I live and Ford just released a 650HP Mustang are we really going to wait 3 and a half years for GM to match up with a next generation C7 Equiv?

Just seems like a bunch of marketing while going in the wrong direction design wise and *** grabbing to the Government for the bailout to me is all... If were talking about if it can even match up to a C6 engine it's already failed miserably...

Hopefully the speculation isn't correct.
If you just feel the need for 650hp, just go buy a Mustang now that they have finally shoved enough hp to actually move all that bulk around and maybe have made it a drivable car. Or, maybe you should wait for the Mustang 1000.

So sick of hearing the whining about something people know nothing about. I don't hear you whining about the Viper and their bailout. Is it only because of the hp?

This idea that somehow GM isn't "keeping up" is pretty laughable. How many years has Corvette had two 200 mph cars in it's lineup?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Hate Obama for whatever reason and however incompetent he may seem, but the idea that he or any other no good politician stays up at night focused on how they can destroy the Corvette gives me a good laugh.

I used to laugh at posters on the Viper forums for the digs they take at this website, now I find myself agreeing with them these days. At this point, a lot of naysayers want to be disappointed in the C7. I'm guessing it's to justify their "investment" in an LS3 C6 as the last greatest Corvette ever.

I'm not really seeing any C6 Z06 guys or ZR1 owners raising hell, nor should they. They have a pretty good grasp of the term disenfranchisement and that GM wouldn't slight them with the release of the base offering Corvette. Guess that just leaves the LS3 guys to take up arms and rattle sabers.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 04-07-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shado

I also think that whatever engine the C7 does have, 5.5L, 5/7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, etc., it will put out enough power, to at the very least, match (more than likely exceed) the C6s performance. The old adage,there's no replacement for displacement isn't as gospel as it once was. Technology is doing amazing things.

I for one am not too concerned with size. Just overall performance.
Motor size or dick size. Yes size counts, look at all the small
european motors. High horsepower ratings but achieved at
high speed. The snap your neck is not there. The motors are
not what has become reflective with american horsepower.
On the other women are liars LOL LOL, if was at the "D"
buffet good bet what they pick out
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinx
Runge_Kutta, good to see you here. Always informative and thought-provoking.

It's been, what, nine years since we saw the 3V OHC patents break? I wonder if DI hasn't bought the 2V engine more time and the 3V will stay on the shelf for a while longer. GM's probably not in a hurry to complicate the valvetrain of their truck engine.
Well, we shall see. With some serious CAFE standards looming, I don't think they can afford to hold back. The 3V design will allow substantially higher flow rates through the heads and lowered throttling losses. I'd be surprised and disappointed if they didn't move to 3V. Patent 7523729 (2009!) looks like the 3V engine. To me, the more interesting question is what technologies would be used in Gen VI small blocks? All I can think of are material upgrades and HCCI.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7523729.pdf
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6505589.pdf

Here are the patents that reference 6505589. Some are from Ford and some from DaimlerChrysler.

1 7,878,168 - High performance overhead valvetrain assembly
2 7,617,807 - Engine and valvetrain with dual pushrod lifters and independent lash adjustment
3 7,523,729 - Rocker assembly with adjustable swivel foot
4 7,418,932 - Electromagnetically driven valve
5 7,228,833 - Rocker system for an internal combustion engine
6 7,185,615 - Variable stroke engine
7 6,964,252 - Valve lifter for internal combustion engine
8 6,895,925 - Internal combustion engine having three valves per cylinder
9 6,892,714 - Exhaust gas reflux apparatus for internal combustion engine
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I'm not sure I understand your point here. Of course none of knows who will win tomorrow's football, baseball, or basketball game. Does that mean that ball fans who enjoy speculating about which team will win are engaging in a silly waste of time?

I'm a Corvette fan and owner who enjoys speculating about the C7 looks, features, and specifications. For those who don't share this interest, there are many other threads taht might be more to their liking.
Good points here. Just to add to this line of thought......I have had the opportunity along with many other dedicated Corvette Owners to attend the various Corvette Corrals at the ALMS races. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the confident posture the GM brass portray about the new C7. These are people who know what Corvette owners want. They understand the direction Corvette needs to go in. Just take a look back at what the C5 and C6 have accomplished. When you listen to Tadge Juechter and Harlan Charles speak about the C7 you just know they get it. They are speaking at Sebring or lime Rock not some corporate retreat. I am so excited about the upcoming C7 and so confident that it will be better in every way that I just can't wait to see and drive it. Show a little faith brothers and sisters. Afterall, we are Corvette People!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 AM
stranded
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ten years ago, the LS6 put out 405 HP / 400 TQ with a mere 5.7L of displacement. Do people bag on the LS6 these days? Is its torque curve undesirable?

I'm confident 5.5L would be plenty to work with in 2012 and beyond.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I also think that whatever engine the C7 does have, 5.5L, 5/7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, etc., it will put out enough power, to at the very least, match (more than likely exceed) the C6s performance. The old adage,there's no replacement for displacement isn't as gospel as it once was. Technology is doing amazing things.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lets just hope they are better engines than the crappy ls3 and ls7. Dependability of the ls1 and ls6 would be nice
Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Lets just hope they are better engines than the crappy ls3 and ls7. Dependability of the ls1 and ls6 would be nice
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but.....I'm just not aware of problems with the LS3. I've had 2 of them as daily drivers and think they are the best overall engines I have ever owned. Obviously you have had a different experience. Can you relate?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
I'm just not aware of problems with the LS3. I've had 2 of them as daily drivers and think they are the best overall engines I have ever owned.
100%
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually is is still gospel.

This is why the Germans, Italians and Japanese have been increasing displacement every year for the last decade.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by sdurg24
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but.....I'm just not aware of problems with the LS3. I've had 2 of them as daily drivers and think they are the best overall engines I have ever owned. Obviously you have had a different experience. Can you relate?
For daily driving they are fine, but if you attempt to use one on the track, it wont last long. Some blow after 2 laps. Bearing starvation. And dont get me going on the laundry list of ls7 problems. I have an ls3 now, but its very different and purpose built.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by RC45

This is why the Germans, Italians and Japanese have been increasing displacement every year for the last decade.

I agree. Turbos and blowers are crap and low displacement may make 550hp, but no tq at all. I think we should just all get a 2013 viper. They got it right
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Future Production

FACILITY

Tonawanda Engine Plant
Buffalo, N.Y.
Gen V engines

St. Catharines Powertrain
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Gen V engines

Mexico Powertrain
various
Gen V engines

Bedford Powertrain
Bedford, Ind.
Gen V cylinder head castings

Defiance Casting Operations
Defiance, Ohio
Gen V cylinder blocks, cylinder heads

and crankshafts

Bay City Components
Bay City, Mich.
Gen V engine components

The Tonawanda Engine Plant is to build engines for the pick up trucks and I believe scheduled to start doing so fairly soon. That infers that the pick up version of the Gen V will appear before the Vett appears. We may have some Gen V information soon, but may have to do some speculating about the specifics of the Vett version.
I suspect the St. Catharines Powertrain plant will continue to supply Vett engines. Anyone from Canada ready to share some info?
Here's what we know now from GM

WIXOM, Mich. – A new direct-injection fuel system will help GM’s Gen-V small-block engine deliver greater fuel efficiency compared with the current generation. The fifth-generation small block is an all-new engine family that builds on the architectural and technology legacy of previous generations with greater efficiency, performance and refinement.

General Motors is investing more than $1 billion in manufacturing facilities associated with producing Gen-V small-block engines, resulting in the creation or retention of 1,711 jobs.

GM announced the new direct-injection fuel system for the small block at the Performance Build Center, in Wixom, Mich., as the final fasteners on the 100-millionth production small-block engine – a 638-hp supercharged LS9 engine for the Corvette ZR1 – were tightened. The small block was introduced in 1955.

“Direct injection is a vital progression from conventional port fuel injection that enables an advanced, new level of engine management. The precise control of combustion afforded from direct injection makes it almost entirely an engineering ‘win-win’ – you get enhanced power and torque in addition to better fuel efficiency,” said Bill Visnic, analyst and senior editor at Edmunds.com.

“The evolution to direct injection should be as significant for the next-generation small-block V-8 as perhaps any single engineering upgrade in this storied engine’s nearly 60-year history,” Visnic said.

In the fifth-generation small block, the all-new direct injection combustion system will work with a higher compression ratio and other technologies to enhance efficiency. That means greater performance using less fuel than comparably sized Gen-IV engines.

“The Gen-V small block is an all-new, state-of-the-art engine family that will offer more efficiency and refinement than any other small block in its more than half-century of production,” said Jordan Lee, chief engineer. “For customers, that will mean cars and trucks that deliver more while using less gas to do it.”

The Gen-V small block will go into production in the near future and is guaranteed to have 4.4-inch bore centers – the center-to-center distance between cylinders that has been part of the small-block’s architecture from its introduction 56 years ago.

Last edited by I Bin Therbefor; 04-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Motor size or dick size. Yes size counts, look at all the small
european motors. High horsepower ratings but achieved at
high speed. The snap your neck is not there. The motors are
not what has become reflective with american horsepower.
On the other women are liars LOL LOL, if was at the "D"
buffet good bet what they pick out

Originally Posted by RC45

I agree. But, I'm no saying GM should drop to a 3.8L.

my quote:
The old adage, there's no replacement for displacement isn't as gospel as it once was. Technology is doing amazing things.

I don't think GM necessarily needs to increase, or even maintain, it's current engine displacement to keep the performance. I think they can stay in the 5.5L - current 6.2L size and still match/better the current performance specs. Especially if they're able to lighten the car. I'm very anxious to read the specs of whatever new power plant they use.

I agree. Turbos and blowers are crap and low displacement may make 550hp, but no tq at all. I think we should just all get a 2013 viper. They got it right

Going by your last two posts, I'm not sure whether or not to take you seriously.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 SWAP for the C7? ------ Who really wants a smaller 5.5L!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be more worried about direct injection and cylinder deactivation the first few years. These changes will ultimately be big improvements. However, resale might not be great for early C7s until the engines are fully debugged and tuners and suppliers gain experience with them. (GM might be running similar engines now, but not in a Corvette)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

For daily driving they are fine, but if you attempt to use one on the track, it wont last long. Some blow after 2 laps. Bearing starvation. And dont get me going on the laundry list of ls7 problems. I have an ls3 now, but its very different and purpose built.
I too have heard of some problems related to the LS7 but don't know enough about them to comment. I have taken my Corvette to Track Masters at Watkins Glen for several "Track Days" with no adverse effects. Could this be why my 2011 GS has the remote oil sump? I have also driven hard for 3 days at Bob Bondurant School of High Performance with totally stock ZR1s as well as slightly modified GS models. No apparant problems and they use them all the time. I do believe all GS C6 models use the LS3. Maybe others can chime in on this?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

LS1/LS6's like to spin rod/crank bearings alot, not sure how they could be the best engine in GM's line up. I am speaking from experience.

The LT5 was probably a stronger engine than all of them...with today's refinements...I can't imagine how great it could perform.

Last edited by Vicarious.; 04-09-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: LS3 SWAP for the C7? ------ Who really wants a smaller 5.5L!