Corvette c7 spotted

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
...And from what I have read, it's "supposed" to have a Dual Clutch setup
I've heard that hinted at over the last year or two as well but I'm not counting on that happening at this point. The new 7 speed manual is almost a given, and a stronger and improved 6L80/6L90 6 speed (or 7 or 8 speed?) automatic might work very well too though.

Originally Posted by thebrander
Are you sure the 5th gen doesn't out handle the 1st gen despite the extra weight? (i.e. lateral g's, braking distance, slalom, lap times, etc.)
While he is right about the excessive weight of the new Camaros, you are also correct.
The new car handles, stops and yes even still accelerates better than the any of the standard (ie: non COPO/non Yenko type models) 1st gen cars (or even the 2nd or 3rdgen cars as well). Even the V6 model is capable of low 14s (or even high 13s in the right conditions). I've personally driven a barely bolt ons only 2010 V6 to a 13.6@102mph.

On a set of modern drag radials/slicks there's even a chance that a 1st gen Z28 or SS396 could out accelerate a current gen SS, but maybe not.
And of course the new Camaro ZL1 will literally trounce ANY Camaro that's come before it on any type of track.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And of course the new Camaro ZL1 will literally trounce ANY Camaro that's come before it on any type of track.
Ah ah ah!

The ZL-1 '69s went 11.60s to 11.80s on 6.5" wide tires, all day, stock. I think even with 550hp, people are going to have a tough time driving the new ZL1 to 11.5 or better. Remember, the rated power on the original 427 in those cars was 430, though all the engine dynos have shown perfectly recreated engines out of NOS pieces to put out over 500, and sometimes up to 550... which, coincidentally is what the new car is openly claiming... though this one needs a blower.

Last edited by SlickShoes; 04-15-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
The ZL-1 '69s went 11.60s to 11.80s on 6.5" wide tires, all day, stock.
Generally speaking, no one ever ran (nor recorded) those cars in pure BONE STOCK trim with just a tire swap, it was quite common to 'tune' those cars with different carburetor jetting changes and uncorked/open headers so that part about doing it being 'stock' might be a little misleading.
Still impressive of course.

I think even with 550hp, people are going to have a tough time driving the new ZL1 to 11.5 or better.
580hp actually.
I've been drag racing/'ET chasing' in modern era cars for many years now, I've put a bolt ons only LS2 car solidly into the 10s multiple time and even a bolt ons only LS1 car into the high 11s. I'm quite confident that a bone stock 5th gen Camaro ZL1 will run at least an 11.8 second 1/4 mile pass in pure bone stock (right down to tires and paper air filter) before 2012 is over.
With only the addition (replacement) of drag radials the car should go at worst an 11.5. Time will tell.
I think these very recent test results of a barely bolt ons only ZL1 back this up:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/the-race-to-the-10s-23325.html
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrander
Are you sure the 5th gen doesn't out handle the 1st gen despite the extra weight? (i.e. lateral g's, braking distance, slalom, lap times, etc.)
I sure the new model probably does outperform it on all those things, in spite of the weight. However, you can easily change that with swaping a few parts on the original. You won't be able to easily drop 600 pounds off the new model.

What I am saying is the new model would be so much better if it weighed the same as the 1969 model.

Generally speaking weight is the enemy. Although there can be tradeoffs. A slightly heavier brake system could dramatically improve braking.

Think how fabulous the new ZL1 would perform if it were 600 pounds lighter, most of off the front end.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I sure the new model probably does outperform it on all those things, in spite of the weight. However, you can easily change that with swaping a few parts on the original. You won't be able to easily drop 600 pounds off the new model.

What I am saying is the new model would be so much better if it weighed the same as the 1969 model.

Generally speaking weight is the enemy. Although there can be tradeoffs. A slightly heavier brake system could dramatically improve braking.

Think how fabulous the new ZL1 would perform if it were 600 pounds lighter, most of off the front end.
Not to mention that the '69 looks a lot better and has far greater visibility from inside the coupe.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Not to mention that the '69 looks a lot better and has far greater visibility from inside the coupe.
I agree with you.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

No doubt and I think that's exactly what we're going to see in the 6th gen. I predict it will be back to around 3400lbs with the current HP level and even better electronic handling/stability control.

Pretty impressive technology roadmap GM is on using the MR shocks and PTM to make 4200lbs lap like a 3200lb Z06, followed by a focus (I assume) on weight reduction to take the performance to the next level.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally speaking, no one ever ran (nor recorded) those cars in pure BONE STOCK trim with just a tire swap, it was quite common to 'tune' those cars with different carburetor jetting changes and uncorked/open headers so that part about doing it being 'stock' might be a little misleading.
Still impressive of course.

580hp actually.
I've been drag racing/'ET chasing' in modern era cars for many years now, I've put a bolt ons only LS2 car solidly into the 10s multiple time and even a bolt ons only LS1 car into the high 11s. I'm quite confident that a bone stock 5th gen Camaro ZL1 will run at least an 11.8 second 1/4 mile pass in pure bone stock (right down to tires and paper air filter) before 2012 is over.
With only the addition (replacement) of drag radials the car should go at worst an 11.5. Time will tell.
I think these very recent test results of a barely bolt ons only ZL1 back this up:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/the-race-to-the-10s-23325.html
And I commend you, as well as the other CF hotshoes here who've managed wring such amazing times out of these cars, but you're the anomalies. The exceptions, not the rules. If that was commonplace, then everybody would be able to put stock C6Z's in the 10's on runflats like Ranger. "Bolt-on" 10 second LS2 cars are unicorns. Hell, bolt-on 11 second LS2 cars even are still less common than the more average bolt-on 12 second LS2 cars.

I specifically neglected to say it was going to be impossible in lieu of saying it's going to be extremely difficult for most people (99% of buyers and testers) to best the times of the original ZL1 by any repeatable margin. When the car hits the public in any substantial numbers, if I'm wrong and everybody and their mom is going low 11's in them, I will happily grill up some crow and butter my foot. For now, I'm confidently skeptical.

In addition, the 11.60's to 11.80's times that I researched were the un-tweaked claims for those cars. The ones with rejetted carbs, silly timing thrown at them, uncorked exhausts, etc (tuned cars) were going high 10's. The records are there, and can be read from myriad sources.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

And I commend you, as well as the other CF hotshoes here who've managed wring such amazing times out of these cars, but you're the anomalies. The exceptions, not the rules. If that was commonplace, then everybody would be able to put stock C6Z's in the 10's on runflats like Ranger. "Bolt-on" 10 second LS2 cars are unicorns. Hell, bolt-on 11 second LS2 cars even are still less common than the more average bolt-on 12 second LS2 cars.

I specifically neglected to say it was going to be impossible in lieu of saying it's going to be extremely difficult for most people (99% of buyers and testers) to best the times of the original ZL1 by any repeatable margin. When the car hits the public in any substantial numbers, if I'm wrong and everybody and their mom is going low 11's in them, I will happily grill up some crow and butter my foot. For now, I'm confidently skeptical.

In addition, the 11.60's to 11.80's times that I researched were the un-tweaked claims for those cars. The ones with rejetted carbs, silly timing thrown at them, uncorked exhausts, etc (tuned cars) were going high 10's. The records are there, and can be read from myriad sources.
My bolt ons ls6 is a solid mid 11 car on drag radials and bad socal air. I bet low 11s to high 10s on drag radials and some East coast love would be possible. That is with stock gearing so these cars have a ton of potential. I think the zl-1s will be pretty regular 10 sec cars with minimal mods.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
...And from what I have read, it's "supposed" to have a Dual Clutch setup, a better interior with "modern" electronics.

I bet it gets a much improved paddle shifted torque converter auto.

Which may provide adequate shift speed, and likely higher durability than some dual clutch set-ups.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I bet it gets a much improved paddle shifted torque converter auto.

Which may provide adequate shift speed, and likely higher durability than some dual clutch set-ups.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see the GTR trans holding up just fine after some upgrades.... Don't hate me, i want a DCT inside a Corvette.

The Porsche boxster spyder has one and its simply AWESOME.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HighlanderX
I see the GTR trans holding up just fine after some upgrades....
Well, maybe now they're holding up better, but it wasn't always that way:

http://www.blog.automotiveaddicts.co...ission-failure

Don't hate me, i want a DCT inside a Corvette.
Me too.
But I can also still deal with the C7 having a traditional style automatic as long as it's strong and functions well with at least some 'sporting' feel about it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

The problem is that it will not hold to the z06/zr1 power reliably. Which is why I think the best solution is the DCT.

Yes, now they are holding and previously you would have to buy a new trans for $20k in order to get the car going. The car had its misshaps.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

The problem is that it will not hold to the z06/zr1 power reliably. Which is why I think the best solution is the DCT.
True, the advent/introduction of a strong new DCT/SMG style trans could finally mean the availability of an automatic in the Z06 and ZR1 models, but I have a feeling that those two models will still maintain/follow the 'Viper concept' of a traditional 'three pedal' type manual transmission only.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Which is a bad decision...

here they have sold 15 gtrs this year alone on a single dealer of a friend of mine and he tells me that interestingly enough, most were corvette owners...

Maybe is the market here.. but i believe gm would sell a lot more Z06/ZR1 if they had an "auto" as an OPTION.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette c7 spotted

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Go to www.corvetteblogger.com and see the video.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
Go to www.corvetteblogger.com and see the video.
That video is also featured back on page 1 of this very thread, post# 11.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

True, the advent/introduction of a strong new DCT/SMG style trans could finally mean the availability of an automatic in the Z06 and ZR1 models, but I have a feeling that those two models will still maintain/follow the 'Viper concept' of a traditional 'three pedal' type manual transmission only.
They have a auto trans that will hold up to the Z06, it is in the CTS-V and ZL1; 6L90 IIRC. Not sure that it would hold up to the ZR1.

Quick Reply: Corvette c7 spotted