Sponsored by:

why buy c7

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Not true actually. You've referenced Harley before, and in their air cooled, pushrod design they are screwed without a revamp within about 5 years or less. But the difference is they can't fight the EPA with a whopping 9.5:1 compression or whatever they may have. Not water cooled, so can't make them anymore aggressive without generating too much heat + the uphill struggle against EPA regulations.

The corvette doesn't have that problem. Their engine from 97 is still emission compliant while they've developed improvements through the years. Also, since this isn't standardized racing the "well a 6.0 vs a 5.0 isn't right" doesn't apply. Think about it, the lsx have hit every power standard since inception with regards to competition. Started as 350hp, then 400, then 450, then 500, then 600+(strangely the amount of 550hp cars isn't nearly as large as 500ish or 600ish). Yes, the Boss 302 makes 444, but the ls3 makes 436 in the vette regardless of what displacement was needed. Not only that but a 5.7 pushrod made 405hp in 2002. And the thing that's most important, is that it's done it with no "tricks." Since 97, its been essentially a redesigned heads/block/intake of a 1969 350ci. If direct injection and variable cam timing are added, it should have no problem competing all through the cars lifespan again.
The truth is there are a bunch of air cooled motorcycles out there, and I know the HArley faithful like to blame the EPA; but the engine modification business is huge in the Harley ecosystem and is the "real" culprit. Agreed that the Corvette doesn't have that issue, I was just referencing that there is a big portion f the Corvette faithful that love that they can add horsepower, relatively easily; and that's part of what those owners love above their Corvette.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

That was a good one!
Just speaking the truth as I'm sure you've noticed. There's a bunch of gossip hens who think the sky is falling in here.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At first I thought this was just another troll post, posting an unfounded rant then stepping away to watch the fireworks. After reading thru it some, I think what the OP is trying to do is read the EPA mandates/Barry Motors Green-tea leafs and is assuming that the Corvette will have to do what happened from the mid 70s thru the 80s when HP was cut and emissions controls were added to meet the new mileage/pollution standards of the times. Those cars were pathetic...and got worse.

I think despite Barry and the EPA, the Corvette team won't make that mistake again and are taking the efficiency route which should be good for performance all the way around. I too had a 69 427 Vette (along with a 67 Camaro with a 427) and the power/rumble of those cars were unforgettable, but my stock '09 Z06 could beat them both and the kick in the pants when you throttle it is pretty awesome....can't wait 'til I get my E-force and "accoutrements" ....the power at the seat should be ....scary.

My only fear (if any) is the body design. I really don't want a Transformer-ish car and I definitely don't want the Gen 5 Camaro-ish tail....but like someone else said, I have to trust Corvette guys at GM will do us Corvette guys right.

Quick Reply: why buy c7