Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a thought on models

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Default Just a thought on models

Many have talked about the possibility of no Z06. Other have said the base engine will be a 5.5 liter or 6.0, or 6.2 or, or,.....

What if the new models came like this:

Base - 5.5 L DI 440 HP automatic only for the entry level and cruiser set. Someone who wants look of a great sports car, but too embarrassed to be seen in a Z3.4 V2.

GS - 6.0 liter DI 480HP 7 speed manual or auto - sport suspension, option for "R" compound tire and small flairs. All trim levels have HUD. For the person that likes handling and performance but can't afford the Z06.

Z06 - 7.0 L DI 575 HP 7 speed manual or 7 speed automated manual; "R" compounds with track oriented suspension, F56 (one better than the F55!) optional, 150+ pounds lighter than GS, even bigger flairs, more aerodynamic aids. Carbon Ceramic brakes optional, deeper rear end gear available, Torsen standard, Lightweight front Glass, coated polycarbonate back glass - 20 inch wheels not available (they hurt handling), Carbon fiber wheels available

ZR1 - 6.2 L DI 700HP 7 speed manual or 7 speed automated manual, all carbon fiber body, Comes with "R" compounds and F56 standard, active aero, Carbon Ceramic brakes standard

The Base and GS model would be available in targa and convertible.

The Z06 and the ZR1 would be hardtops.

Four trim levels:
  • Base - Cloth or Alcantara single color trim - manual seats - only available on Base model
  • Leather - leather seats and steering wheel - heated seats - basic power seats, mirrors steering wheel; HUD - available on all models
  • Deluxe - higher quality leather all over- two tone - virgin (none of that slutty stuff) walnut burl wood trim - heated and cooled seats - cool entertainment system, power everything - extra sound deadening; available on all models
  • Track - Alcantara - carbon fiber or aluminum trim - super HUD - track oriented manual lightweight seats - heat shielding with minimal sound deadening - lighter weight carpeting; not available on base model - Standard on Z06

Just some thoughts. Details need to be worked out. This was stream of consciousness.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As I suggested something like this a little while ago. I also included a "GT" as well that would be on the level of a GS but have a hard top vert model to replace both the coupe and rag vert. I don't care about the weight or trunk space!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Many have talked about the possibility of no Z06. Other have said the base engine will be a 5.5 liter or 6.0, or 6.2 or, or,.....

Base - 5.5 L DI 440 HP automatic only for the entry level and cruiser set. Someone who wants look of a great sports car, but too embarrassed to be seen in a Z3.4 V2.

GS - 6.0 liter DI 480HP 7 speed manual or auto - sport suspension, option for "R" compound tire and small flairs. All trim levels have HUD. For the person that likes handling and performance but can't afford the Z06.

Z06 - 7.0 L DI 575 HP 7 speed manual or 7 speed automated manual; "R" compounds with track oriented suspension, F56 (one better than the F55!) optional, 150+ pounds lighter than GS, even bigger flairs, more aerodynamic aids. Carbon Ceramic brakes optional, deeper rear end gear available, Torsen standard, Lightweight front Glass, coated polycarbonate back glass - 20 inch wheels not available (they hurt handling), Carbon fiber wheels available

ZR1 - 6.2 L DI 700HP 7 speed manual or 7 speed automated manual, all carbon fiber body, Comes with "R" compounds and F56 standard, active aero, Carbon Ceramic brakes standard

Four trim levels:
  • Base - Cloth or Alcantara single color trim - manual seats - only available on Base model
  • Leather - leather seats and steering wheel - heated seats - basic power seats, mirrors steering wheel; HUD - available on all models
  • Deluxe - higher quality leather all over- two tone - virgin (none of that slutty stuff) walnut burl wood trim - heated and cooled seats - cool entertainment system, power everything - extra sound deadening; available on all models
  • Track - Alcantara - carbon fiber or aluminum trim - super HUD - track oriented manual lightweight seats - heat shielding with minimal sound deadening - lighter weight carpeting; not available on base model - Standard on Z06

Just some thoughts. Details need to be worked out. This was stream of consciousness.
That could all work too I suppose. I don't see it happening that exact way but definitely some good suggestions/ideas there.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't see the business case for this. One engine to cover the volume seller and one engine for the exotic edition seems more like GM. (I bet the Z06 becomes the stripped-down track version of the ZR1, if they don't just retire the Z06 badge completely.)

Why should they build two engines? It's not like the smaller-displacement engine will cost less to build; in fact by doing two engines to cover the same sales volume their overhead increases. And there's no way they can cut enough cost out of the car to make it cheaper enough to increase sales volume significantly (from the normal 30K/yr Corvette has hovered around for decades).

It makes more sense to build one engine, and bump it up after a few years if competition demands it.

.Jinx
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't see the business case for this. One engine to cover the volume seller and one engine for the exotic edition seems more like GM. (I bet the Z06 becomes the stripped-down track version of the ZR1, if they don't just retire the Z06 badge completely.)

Why should they build two engines? It's not like the smaller-displacement engine will cost less to build; in fact by doing two engines to cover the same sales volume their overhead increases. And there's no way they can cut enough cost out of the car to make it cheaper enough to increase sales volume significantly (from the normal 30K/yr Corvette has hovered around for decades).

It makes more sense to build one engine, and bump it up after a few years if competition demands it.
I have to agree there, while some of us would perhaps love to see multiple engine offerings like it was back in the day (and even still into the early '80s with both an L48 and L82 still being offered during the 1980 model year), it just isn't practical today. And with the ability to now deliver both excellent power output (436hp in a base C6 with the optional exhaust) AND stellar highway fuel economy (some have reported getting upwards of 32mpg at 65mph) there is little reason to do it as well.
Sometimes that 'one size fits all' thing isn't so bad.

I too believe that the Z06 model in it's current iteration (LS7 7.0L etc.) might not return for the C7 era.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

.Jinx
Considering GM basically has multiple engines for their trucks, I don't see why it would be so difficult to do the same for the Corvette. The 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 were all basically iron LSX blocks. Hell you could swap 70% of the parts between the entire platform(and many Corvettes are using truck blocks right now!).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM
User24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM can only allow the Camaro product line to grow within the performance shadow of the z06, but not surpass it. Because of that, I don't think the performance numbers you've given allows enough room for future Camaros to expand performance and maintain competitiveness.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Considering GM basically has multiple engines for their trucks, I don't see why it would be so difficult to do the same for the Corvette.
Very good point, but one must also factor in the total quantity/volume of trucks (GM full sized pick ups being the 2nd best selling vehicles in North America I believe?) that are produced/sold each year to see how those extra development/production costs are distributed/absorbed/amortized.
I don't think that two or three different engine/transmission combinations can be absorbed by only 30k - 40k units per year, not at the base Corvette's 'value oriented' price points at least.
Of course we have Z06s and ZR1s both with freestanding engines, but they're also not only $49k base.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I think GM sold over a half-million full-size pickups last year. Then there's the SUVs.

We're talking twenty times the volume of the Corvette, when the Corvette is selling well.

So maybe if you drop a bone-stock truck motor into Corvette, and you do it so cheaply there's a point to the car (i.e. not another $1000-off Billy Bob), and that motor isn't a total turnoff to buyers, and that exercise credibly increases sales volume and profit... wait, what was the point again?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,201 Posts

My thoughts on models is that we should have a blonde, brunette and redhead to appeal to everyone.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
My thoughts on models is that we should have a blonde, brunette and redhead to appeal to everyone.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

What about the guys who like Asians and Latinas?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Yes, them too! (Asian females that is, not Asian cars LOL)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

.Jinx
It is not about cutting engine costs for the base model. It may increase the fuel mileage which is good. On the first three engines the difference in cost in building them is small. Probably less than $100 between the first two and less than $1000 between the GS and Z06 depending on if there is a dry sump, but they could charge MUCH more. Think 3k bump for the engine alone on the GS plus other pieces, and 8k for the z06. It is about making profit for GM so they continue to make models.

The variety appeal to the different type buyers. Appeals to looks, performance, luxury and any combination of the three they desire without paying for too much stuff they don't want.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

lame. lets make all of them 700hp v12s and price them at $25k

as long as they all have good seats...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,201 Posts

I stand corrected.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're still brunettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Just a thought on models

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Four trim levels:

Ambitious. I can't see the 4th motor for the GS. There's no reason for it. I'd also be very surprised to see any of the engines displacing more than 400ci. And I'd have described the base car much less disparagingly. It's still going to be a phenomenal car and the car which the rest of the trim levels are built upon.

By your standard, the tech in the ZR1 would require it to start at 120k and option up to 150k, to come in line with the R8 V10 and be aimed at the Aventador. Interior trim levels are pretty good, but I doubt there is going to be cloth. Maybe leatherette, but no Corvette has come with cloth in 2 generations. The 2LT/LZ/ZR would be power/heated seats.

Honestly, telescoping wheel should come on all the cars, seeing as it's probably cheaper to only have to manufacture and install the one column, and its stupid to keep that sort of adjustability to high trim levels. The fact that you have to go at least 2LT/LZ/ZR to get a telescoping wheel on the C6 is frankly ridiculous. Some of us have longer legs than arms.

Polycarbonate windows, full CF body, CF wheels, and standard R-comps are more wish fulfillment than realistic. Too expensive all across, windows too much of a pain to maintain, and remember, GM is still in the business of selling road cars with warranties. If we're lucky, GM will take a big swing at the performance of the 458 Italia on street tires. Optional Sport Cup ZPs are fine, but standard is a bad move because more people want street cars than race cars.

Considering GM basically has multiple engines for their trucks, I don't see why it would be so difficult to do the same for the Corvette. The 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 were all basically iron LSX blocks. Hell you could swap 70% of the parts between the entire platform(and many Corvettes are using truck blocks right now!).
Just because the blocks are mostly the same doesn't mean that each motor doesn't require its own powertrain development (which comes at huge cost). What we do in detached garages is a far cry from what GM does in labs.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

It is not about cutting engine costs for the base model. It may increase the fuel mileage which is good. On the first three engines the difference in cost in building them is small. Probably less than $100 between the first two and less than $1000 between the GS and Z06 depending on if there is a dry sump, but they could charge MUCH more. Think 3k bump for the engine alone on the GS plus other pieces, and 8k for the z06. It is about making profit for GM so they continue to make models.
Fuel mileage delta between the 440 and 480 doesn't justify building, certifying, and carrying two engines to cover the same sales volume, not at Corvette quantities. And we all know the 480 won't cost more per unit to build, so charging another $3K for a 10% bump feels like a ripoff. And the base car is stigmatized as the wimpy one (even though it's only by 10%). It hurts both models.

We knew the LS6 was more exotic. We knew the LS7 was way more exotic and a big displacement bump besides. (A 427 smallblock, woah.)

GM can charge more for a GS without building a second motor and without neutering the base car. Indeed, they can charge more for both with a single motor, because the base car doesn't have to be priced with a wimp discount.

.Jinx
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I believe we will have one engine size, then supercharging....then twin turbos for the top dog..

Of course I'm just fooling around....actually it will be one size motor....one naturally aspirated and the others at different level of forced induction...

Cool original post though. and I'd dig alcantara interior and seating...

I've never been a fan of slippery leather anyway...whereas Alcantara D shaped wheel I installed in my c6 rocks....

Hope it makes it to the C7 in the steering wheel and the seats

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just a thought on models