Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl

In yet another screw-up by GM marketing...
After looking stupid at last year's SuperBowl with MVP Eli Manning ignoring the gift of a new Corvette, GM doubles down, ignoring the SuperBowl right when the new C7 will be announced.
According to GM, it’s simply too costly. Thirty-second spots are already selling for $3.8 million, a figure that GM’s Chief Marketing Officer Joel Ewanick has deemed “too expensive.” Ewanick told the Wall Street Journal that GM is looking to revamp its global marketing operations and that the automaker is “not just going to do the same thing every year."

GM’s verdict raises numerous questions about the company’s advertising future. Not only will GM have zero presence during the most-watched television event of the year, but they also just cut major ad dollars from perhaps the most popular global website: Facebook. Ewanick maintains that “Facebook ads simply don’t work.” Ewanick’s disdain for the social media giant is no surprise coming from the man who called Twitter a “flash in the pan” and stated, “social media is a fad.” Although he may hate social media, Ewanick was quick to turn to his personal Twitter account last February in defense of GM’s Super Bowl ad, which portrayed Ford in an unflattering light to say the least.
http://www.torquenews.com/1081/gm-sa...013-super-bowl
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Can't say that I blame GM for being cost conscious! After last season's SB debacle with Eli, I imagine selling the idea of using next year's SB to GM's accountants was a tough sell. Maybe that is how they will sell the C7 for a lower cost...teeny-tiny marketing budget!

Kinda weird to think that they don't like social networking. Sure it is a fad, but it is a very popular fad NOW.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some of us were already commenting on that in this thread (starting at post# 116):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...pr-wars-6.html
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Can't say that I blame GM for being cost conscious! After last season's SB debacle with Eli, I imagine selling the idea of using next year's SB to GM's accountants was a tough sell. Maybe that is how they will sell the C7 for a lower cost...teeny-tiny marketing budget!

Kinda weird to think that they don't like social networking. Sure it is a fad, but it is a very popular fad NOW.
Eli's tepid response was sort of funny. "Huh? Oh, a new Corvette? OK, thanks, fellas. Gotta run now . . ."

Well, not really, but that was the sense of it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Some of us were already commenting on that in this thread (starting at post# 116):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...pr-wars-6.html
I didn't see that til I posted this thread. Pretty surprising development. I sure hope they know what they are doing. It bothers me considering the timing of the C7 release but I have to believe they have some alternatives in mind.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Eli's tepid response was sort of funny. "Huh? Oh, a new Corvette? OK, thanks, fellas. Gotta run now . . ."

Well, not really, but that was the sense of it.
Yeah, it was a good thing to do but just the wrong time to do it...for any car!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

They are missing out on a chance to give one away to the next super bowl winning Manning, PEYTON!!! Whohoo!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I wonder if GM is hoping that they'll get some company. The cost is breathtaking.

Of course, that buys more eyeballs, and probably more attentive eyeballs, than any other placement anywhere... and that's before figuring all the extra free online impressions if people think your commercial is cool.

Of course, if your commercial doesn't instantly resonate, you've just flushed $3.8M, plus whatever the ad cost to produce (because if it didn't grab during the one time people want to see commercials, running it more later is probably just going to remind them of your lameness).

I think America the nongearheaded needs an occasional dose of the Corvette dream. Is the Super Bowl the only way to deliver it?

What do you think? What else could they do that could produce the same kind of Corvette-Wow cultural impact?

GM: if you do a big splashy ad, please don't pick another ancient lo-fi pop song to score it. Especially not one that's already worn out as a reference.

.Jinx
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
They are missing out on a chance to give one away to the next super bowl winning Manning, PEYTON!!! Whohoo!
Broncos/49'ers for the SBowl. Broncos given a chance to forget the 55 points Montana and the boys scored on them the last time they met there.

I've always like this blurb from wiki:

This game remains the most lopsided game in Super Bowl history to date. San Francisco's 55 points were the most ever scored by one team, and their 45-point margin of victory was the largest ever. The 49ers are also the only team in a Super Bowl to score eight touchdowns in a Super Bowl, and at least two touchdowns in each quarter (the only mistake was a missed extra point attempt).
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes but the game was not as close as the score would indicate!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

I do think a Broncos/'Niners SB would be great.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

What does football have to do with this thread?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Not sure, but I think I might enjoy hamburgers (well, cheeseburgers actually) a little more than hot dogs.
Just sayin'.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Nothing. But it's a hell of lot more interesting.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Not sure, but I think I might enjoy hamburgers (well, cheeseburgers actually) a little more than hot dogs.
I had a Camaro ZL1 dog at the Corvette Cafe in the dealership today. I think it must have been a half-pound hot dog.

I shoulda had the cheeseburger.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I think America the nongearheaded needs an occasional dose of the Corvette dream. Is the Super Bowl the only way to deliver it?

What do you think? What else could they do that could produce the same kind of Corvette-Wow cultural impact?
Jinx, you probably didn't want to hear from me on this. The truth is you just can't duplicate the combination of that size of an audience PLUS their interest in commercials at the same time. That is a proven fact and is why they CAN charge so much for the commercial time. Let's not forget the buzz that gets generated for days and weeks afterward with media showing the best commercials from the SB. Plus how people who missed it can see it on YouTube over and over like we do the old C6 commercials. These things often become part of the lore of the brand for decades like the old Apple commercial and many others.

So the huge splash is gone but there are a LOT of other ways they can run a successful campaign. Corvette hasn't always had the huge splash kind of event anyway and they've been pretty successful.

They better be making a lot of good sized splashes early and often!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I agree about the Super Bowl's impact; see my earlier posts about it. And I agree that it's unique -- at least I can't think of anything or combination of things remotely close to the Super Bowl Commercial phenomenon.

Of course, the buzz and repeat views on YouTube are only for those commercials that click in a certain way. Maybe GM doesn't think it's a good fit for the practical moving-units message they think they need to focus on. I don't know. Maybe they're just worried about another round of Government Motors Spending Taxpayer Dollars On Super Bowl Ads. OMG maybe Obama asked them to make this announcement and they plan to reverse it after the election. --Sorry, I just hate that stuff.

But I'm pretty sure Corvette did get that big splash for both C5 and C6 introductions -- a new Corvette doesn't come along very often. C5 got this spot; C6 got "A Bay's Dream." I wasn't paying close attention to Super Bowl ads back in 83, so I don't know if the C4 "spaceman" spot ran then. I was much more impressed by the double gatefold they put into Sports Illustrated. I wish I still had it. Simpler times...

Please, GM, make some cool C7 commercial pr0n. Maybe quietly Tweet a link to a YouTube video the night before you pull the cover off in Detroit but make it. It's how boys become Corvette-owning men.

.Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-19-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl

Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a lotta money for one day worth of commercial. You could buy 6 months worth of advertising on ESPN, for that kind of dough.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:03 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

@ $50K a car GM has to sell 75 Corvettes to cover the cost of that one spot.

It's a great general awareness avenue but how many Americans aren't aware of the Corvette?

Spend the money targeting the right audience. Cross shopping Porsche guys, aspirational Acura and BMW drivers. For 3.6 million you can stage head to head driving events in the top 50 markets and get other brand drivers in the car and change some minds at the seat of the pants.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd be curious what there strategy is, just more ads in general? No social media or super bowl commercials...savin a lot of money, gotta think they'll use some of it somewhere to advertise the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl