Chevy Salesman Says...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And you're full of BS. What I posted came straight from a GM sales brochure that they made especially for the dealer's salespeople. I can't help it if your dealer doesn't read what GM sends them.
I stand corrected. I mistook your post with those posts that claimed salesman have seen prototypes of the C7 Vette. The fleet manager mentioned they had an early sneak peek at the Cobalt SS when it was to be introduced so I asked him if they will get the same opportunity with the C7. That's where his comment "the forums would seek and find that info before dealers would get it offcially" came from.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I guess you never knew that the Impala had 4 door iterations in their early years.
LIke I said, no panache . . .
Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
LIke I said, no panache . . .
I dunno - looks perfect for a San Diego low rider...............
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Yup - it was first introduced in the 1958 model year
Aside from the obvious numerous '60s/early '70s muscle cars that I love, I used to only be interested in the '55 and '57 (the '56, not so much) Chevrolets. But after seeing the movie 'Peggy Sue Got Married' I've also grown to appreciate the '58 Impalas:

Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I dunno - looks perfect for a San Diego low rider...............
I dunno, the low-rider guys prefer two-doors, but then you should know that, being from Los Gatos.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Aside from the obvious numerous '60s/early '70s muscle cars that I love, I used to only be interested in the '55 and '57 (the '56, not so much) Chevrolets. But after seeing the movie 'Peggy Sue Got Married' I've also grown to appreciate the '58 Impalas:

Love that car! The '59 ragtop was also gorgeous. Ah, those were the days. . . .
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Neighbor of ours had one of those (coupe, though) when I was about 8 YO and I absolutely loved it. None of the big-finned forward-look Mopar excess, nor the dowdy/ugly Fords of the time. GM design really nailed that one. Better than what they did with the '58 Vette IMHO...

Let's hope they nail the C7. I don't know why but I am starting to feel confident that it will be sweet.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
The plant investment may be a major reworking of an existing process... or it may be bringing in-house something that was done by a supplier. Which in turn could be an aluminum frame (Z06/ZR1 chassis today are built by a subcontractor and shipped to Bowling Green in one big piece) or something completely different (and less exciting).

.Jinx
That's EXACTLY what I was told during a question and answer period during a tour of the BG assembly plant. That they would be building the frames @ the plant following the $135 million changes.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I would not be surprised to see GM make the alum frame standard on the C7 and make it in-house. Getting better gas mileage these days has a lot to do with weight savings and on a more expensive car like the Vette I can see where it makes sense.

Since they used Dana Corp to do the alum frames on the Z06, I can see where maybe GM possibly bought or licensed the equipment from them and will make it in-house.

It would be great to see a C7 with a smaller engine yet weigh under 3K pounds.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

They already build the steel frames in the Bowling Green assembly plant -- I remember them pointing to the hydroforming area during my tour way back in 2001, and showing off the resulting naked frame rails.

If they were still going to use steel frames for the base models, and they're just bringing the future Z06/ZR1 frame builds in-house, why would they be doing it now? Do they need that much lead time? I dunno.

I'm trying not to jump to the conclusion that the base C7 will get a frame made of more exotic lightweight materials. Especially since they're doing cool things with high-strength steel these days, and it would be just like GM to extoll the virtues of less-glamorous tech used more exotically, as it were.

Trying really hard.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have said, the average CF member has vastly more knowledge about the Corvette than majority of the salesman out there. Most of them have no clue, but they're just programmed to BS about anything car related! LOL
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

It would be very cool to have the base C7 have an aluminum extruded frame but....how does that relate to the removable top let alone a convertable?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
They already build the steel frames in the Bowling Green assembly plant -- I remember them pointing to the hydroforming area during my tour way back in 2001, and showing off the resulting naked frame rails.

If they were still going to use steel frames for the base models, and they're just bringing the future Z06/ZR1 frame builds in-house, why would they be doing it now? Do they need that much lead time? I dunno.

I'm trying not to jump to the conclusion that the base C7 will get a frame made of more exotic lightweight materials. Especially since they're doing cool things with high-strength steel these days, and it would be just like GM to extoll the virtues of less-glamorous tech used more exotically, as it were.

Trying really hard.

When Dana was building the aluminum frames(for the Z06/ZR1), Bowling Green hydroformed the aluminum frame rails on the same equipment that they hydroformed the steel frame rails. Bowling Green then sent the frame rails over to Hopkinsville. The aluminum stampings, etc that make up the remainder of the space frame were made by an outside firm and sent to Hopkinsville. Dana then took the various parts and welded/riveted them into a space frame.

Then the space frames were sent back to Bowling Green where GM cleaned them and applied the same coating to the aluminum space frames as the steel space frame. That coating is necessary for the aluminum frame as the adhesive used to bond the rear tub, front wheel housings, floor pans, rocker panels, etc, won't adhere to aluminum oxide.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CCrane72
So I was talking to my salesman at my local Chevy dealer and he's tells me the C7 is very different from the C6 or C5. He seems to think its a good change and hopes it will rekindle interest in Corvettes.
He also said there would be a limited edition model called Stingray that is sort of retro. He didn't expand on that.

Anyone else hear anything like that from anyone in the new Chevy business?
While it could be a nice marketing move to offer a limited edition Stingray, it would in my very humble opinion a nightmare for the engineering department. These gizmos have to move at 200 mph+. Has the black art of aerodynamics become so trivial that you can easily make a limited offer of a flat fish shaped car just to please marketing? I would only believe the salesman if he said it would be electronically limited to 150 mph. He's probably alright, but acting on hearsay.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
As the father of a child that wore a helmet, but didn't play sports, I could be highly offended, but I won't, because I am sure that was not your intent.

Some children wear helmets to encourage their skulls into a more symetrical shape. It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity. We chose not to treat her any differently. Many children and adults were curious and we just explained it to them without offense.

Oh, by the way not all short buses are for learning disabled students, some are for gifted programs.

Not offended, just educating.

Tthe salesman in question is probably speaking from ingorance rather than stupidity. They think they are getting good scoop and are jsut trying to share. It is rare shor the sales teams at dealerships to get good scoop this far in advance.
I commend you on a very positive attitude to a very stupid remark by a guy who cant even say he is sorry. I think he is the one that needed the helmet when he was younger. You know for sports or bikes. Congrats to you and I hope you have changed some peoples opinions in your time. I work with 4 co workers who have special needs kids who have made me realize how different things can be and you have to learn to think before you speak today.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
I dunno, the low-rider guys prefer two-doors, but then you should know that, being from Los Gatos.
Geez, lighten up, Bubba er Bert. Sorry if I struck a nerve! The only low riding cars around Los Gatos are Ferraris, Lambos, and Astons, and they're all way out of my price range.
On the other hand, over in San Jose I see low riders in four doors, station wagons, and even a Chevy Suburban once. It's all good!

Too bad you took my comment the wrong way. San Diego is a great town, and Low rider is not a derogatory term any more than Chevy or Corvette. I'm sorry you apparently think it is.......

Ya mighta looked at the "Big grin" smiley after my original comment.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 05-29-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Wild
Instructor

I work with a guy that retired from GM after 30 years "has his gold card" and took me on a tour of GM here in texas. All of his buddies he introduced me to there seemed to think the jalopnik drawing was as close as it gets. BUT they have yet to see one so who knows!

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Salesman Says...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Wild
I work with a guy that retired from GM after 30 years "has his gold card" and took me on a tour of GM here in texas. All of his buddies he introduced me to there seemed to think the jalopnik drawing was as close as it gets. BUT they have yet to see one so who knows!
That makes no sense. If they have not seen one, how could they say it was as close as it gets.

Last edited by chaase; 05-29-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I guess you never knew that the Impala had 4 door iterations in their early years.
A little bit of triva question. Looking at the photo of the 4-door Impala, how can you tell if it has a 6 cyl, a small block V8 or a big block V8?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
That makes no sense. If they have not seen one, how could they sat it was as close as it gets.
Excellent point.

Quick Reply: Chevy Salesman Says...