Sponsored by:

Chevy Salesman Says...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
If they were still going to use steel frames for the base models, and they're just bringing the future Z06/ZR1 frame builds in-house, why would they be doing it now? Do they need that much lead time? I dunno.
I have to imagine that $135 million worth of improvements just repairs/updates some areas/adds brand new capabilities and that improved/modified chassis design drives part of this no matter what the chassis is made of.

The Corvette Goes Aluminum
For the high-performance Corvette Z06 GM defied tradition and switched from a steel to an aluminum frame.
Article From: Automotive Design & ProductionGary S. Vasilash, Editor-in-Chief
Posted on: 4/1/2005

ALUMINUM CONVERT.
Though performance versions of production vehicles regularly feature exotic lightweight components, switching frame materials is a bit extreme. But that's what GM did with the 2006 Corvette Z06. In place of the steel frame on the conventional C6, GM is substituting an almost identical aluminum spaceframe, thereby reducing mass by over 30%. The frame is produced for GM by the Structural Solutions Group, Dana Corp. (www.dana.com; Toledo, OH). Although it might seem like a simple substitution, according to William Kroppe, director, product engineering, at Dana's Structural Solutions, transforming a spot-welded steel frame into an aluminum structure held together by MIG and laser welds and self-piercing rivets while precisely maintaining the same dimensions as the original led Dana to a couple of industry firsts. Kroppe points out that while many automakers have produced aluminum-bodied vehicles that use panels on the order of 1-mm thick, few have worked with the 3-mm+ thicknesses needed for an aluminum frame. He says Dana's Z06 frame is the first to use laser welding and self-piercing rivets on these thicker aluminum panels in a mass production environment.
Laser welding is used in the driveline tunnel area. To prevent road noise from intruding into the cabin, GM insisted that no holes be cut in the folded aluminum sheet that forms the tunnel, which ruled out MIG welding it to the frame since that would require access holes for the guns. Although laser welding is performed without the need for access holes, Kroppe admits that adjusting both the head speed and angle and re-focusing the laser's optics to deal with the thick panels was laborious. But he notes that now Dana has the knowledge base—and ability—to cost-effectively laser weld aluminum.

SWISS WATCH WORK.
Dana has carved out a small cellular assembly area for the Z06 in its manufacturing facility in Hopkinsville, KY, that is otherwise dedicated to producing serious volumes of stamped and spot-welded steel frames. (Annual volume for the Z06 is projected at 7,000 units.) "Compared to the other frames we make in that plant, this is Swiss watch work," says Kroppe. To prove the point, he describes how the aluminum castings that provide the attachment points for the suspension components are CNC machined with a precision that exceeds steel frame fabrication techniques. To achieve the highest degree of dimensional accuracy, Dana found it best to assemble the body first and then machine it using a Tricept robot from ABB.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-29-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
HendrickCorvette
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whew! Remind me to keep my head down in here

As one of the aforementioned "Chevy sales guys" I do have to say that GM is very tight-lipped with the dealers about "rumors" and "leaked information" about all models especially the C7. I, personally, do like to see what the forum members hear (or speculate) and will do my best not to provide any misinformation to the forum.

I can't wait to see the new C7 and I keep hearing it is adhering to the tradition that has made Corvette the standard to which all American sports cars are measured.

Too, bold a statement? Let me know what you think.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend. Cheers!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HendrickCorvette
As one of the aforementioned "Chevy sales guys" I do have to say that GM is very tight-lipped with the dealers about "rumors" and "leaked information" about all models especially the C7. I, personally, do like to see what the forum members hear (or speculate) and will do my best not to provide any misinformation to the forum.

I can't wait to see the new C7 and I keep hearing it is adhering to the tradition that has made Corvette the standard to which all American sports cars are measured.

Too, bold a statement?
Let me know what you think.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend. Cheers!
Not too bold. I am hoping for the same thing, as are many on the CF.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 PM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't believe any info he provided unless he has some secret ties to the engineers at the factory, who would probably lose their job for leaking any info.
My ASM from GM has no info and as a GM of our family's store nor do I. I know we have a dealer meeting in the fall in Vegas and the upcoming models are usually unveiled at that time. Of course, I don't know if they will give us a sneak peek at that time....
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vara
Don't believe any info he provided unless he has some secret ties to the engineers at the factory, who would probably lose their job for leaking any info.
My ASM from GM has no info and as a GM of our family's store nor do I. I know we have a dealer meeting in the fall in Vegas and the upcoming models are usually unveiled at that time. Of course, I don't know if they will give us a sneak peek at that time....
You've got a bunch of guys gritting their teeth, arguing with each other and grasping at straws here. Help us out whenever you can . . . please??
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Bert, that's our own fault. We can quit doing that any time
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
Bert, that's our own fault. We can quit doing that any time
That is obviously very true. I'm just asking for a little oil (dino or synth) to be cast on troubled waters, that's all. By somebody actually in the know.

As for me, I try not to post aggressive,challenging, or personally insulting posts, but sometimes . . . misinterpretations occur. Perfection is quite elusive.

Quick Reply: Chevy Salesman Says...