Sponsored by:

C7 rear glass info

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
Have you ever taken the SO on a road trip? I need all the cargo space I can get.
Sure have . . . Lotsa room for luggage and stuff . . .

Plywood and lumber, I think not. That was my point.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

You thought I was serious?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I load my bike from the rear, wheels off. No reacharound :P Passenger still fits in the front seat. Much better than installing a hitch+rack etc etc. And I still break records in the canyons on the way to the trails and back

BTW, has anyone thought of how the top will go in there if there's c pillars in the way? Maybe the whole hatch will still lift as a unit. Actually it seems that way even from the Jalopnik renderings. It's not obvious from those renderings, though, what's going with those side windows. Doesn't look mechanically plausible.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by steel_3d
BTW, has anyone thought of how the top will go in there if there's c pillars in the way? Maybe the whole hatch will still lift as a unit. Actually it seems that way even from the Jalopnik renderings. It's not obvious from those renderings, though, what's going with those side windows. Doesn't look mechanically plausible.
I was wondering about that as well, I too am thinking that the entire rear hatch will still open similar to the current set up even though the glass/rear body work might be shaped differently.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Good points. It's possible that the whole rear section will open much as it does now, though looking at the Jalopnik illustrations (which show body seams) I don't see how you'd do that with the side window treatment, unless those windows pop out a bit for clearance.

Of course, one thing Jalopnik clearly got wrong relative to spy photos is the roof. On the spy photos you can make out the same seam along the roof as on a C6. Of course, it's still wider than the center glass... does it go in sideways? Do you have to slip one end in and then drop the other (so it sits off-center)?

.Jinx
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Of course, one thing Jalopnik clearly got wrong relative to spy photos is the roof. On the spy photos you can make out the same seam along the roof as on a C6. Of course, it's still wider than the center glass... does it go in sideways? Do you have to slip one end in and then drop the other (so it sits off-center)?
Hmm that could be it, the roof panel might actually load long ways (longitudinally) on the new car instead of sideways as has been the case since 1984 maybe.
Perhaps even utilizing some sort of 'locking/slide mechanism' (highly unlikely of course) to aid in doing it so it's not so awkward?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh great! We're gonna get portholes.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Oh great! We're gonna get portholes.

Man, I'd like to own that '57 T-Bird . . . Portholes and all.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My 56 has side windows. Nothing new.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I was wondering about that as well, I too am thinking that the entire rear hatch will still open similar to the current set up even though the glass/rear body work might be shaped differently.
The goal here is to create a new look but to keep the same structure as the C6 which is one of the strong points of the coupe giving us such great access to the large area rear storage. It would be a step backward to reduce that just for change. The costs should be relatively nominal vs something completely new.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Hmm that could be it, the roof panel might actually load long ways (longitudinally) on the new car instead of sideways as has been the case since 1984 maybe.
Perhaps even utilizing some sort of 'locking/slide mechanism' (highly unlikely of course) to aid in doing it so it's not so awkward?
Although I think that may be a stretch, I would love to see it. My biggest gripe with my '05 C6 Coupe was the weight of the transparent top and the contortions I had to exicute to remove and replace it. Not all of us are as strong as we used to be or are even when still young. Going back to a t-top configuration is not a solution, but was easier on the muscles. Please, NO to that!

Quick Reply: C7 rear glass info