C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I was just thinking about this earlier today. There is some talk/speculation that the 2014 might actually have an aluminum frame much like the current C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 does as a way of saving weight/increasing fuel economy/adding more performance all at the same time.
But that open targa/top might create some engineering hurdles with an aluminum frame (Z06s/ZR1s are 'fixed roof only' of course).
So I was thinking that if they did go to the lighter frame that perhaps they might go back to a 'two piece' removable roof design with a (small, thin, unobtrusive) bar that runs from the halo to the windshield header for added strength/stability maybe?
Or even keep the panel as a one piece/targa roof but still have the bar there?
Something like that could solve a dilemma and wouldn't really be in the way or block the openess or sun too much if it's small enough.

Of course then there's the convertible model. They won't have two different frame structures for coupe and convertible and the only to brace/strengthen that car would be to do it underneath and add substantial weight in the process which they likely won't want to do...and that sort of throws a wrench in my whole question/idea making this thread sort of moot I suppose LOL.
Just wanted to put it out there in case something like that actually happens and then I'll look like a genius for breaking the news/story on it first.
I joined CF way back in 2003 when my NSX was stolen. The NSX was an all aluminum car, I had the coupe version, where as my friend had the targa version that came out in 1995.

I had driven his car without the top, and the car would flex on very bumpy roads. But it would be unfair to compare the technology they had back then with today's technology.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The C7 wouldn't be bad if it had a retractable hardtop roof as the Ferrari 458 Spider as u can see in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXz0huA1-Q

They can use fiber carbon to reduce weight of the roof itself, however some owners of Corvettes also like the transparent roof which would add more weight when replacing the carbon fiber roof.

Last edited by John_R; 05-29-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current C6 al chassis is not the best/strongest chassis that can be done in al. It is the best/strongest chassis that can be done in al and still be built on the same production line as the steel chassis. If all the C7's are al then an optimum al design can be done that will provide sufficient strength so that a T top is not required.

Remember however that GM has developed means to join various material together in an efficient (light weight) and economical manner. The C6R has an al chassis and a steel roll bar joined by some of these methods. That means GM can choose different materials of different strengths appropriate for each task. IMHO that's what will happen with the C7, a variety of materials in the chassis appropriate to the task and joined by the new methods.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
The current C6 al chassis is not the best/strongest chassis that can be done in al. It is the best/strongest chassis that can be done in al and still be built on the same production line as the steel chassis. If all the C7's are al then an optimum al design can be done that will provide sufficient strength so that a T top is not required.

Remember however that GM has developed means to join various material together in an efficient (light weight) and economical manner. The C6R has an al chassis and a steel roll bar joined by some of these methods. That means GM can choose different materials of different strengths appropriate for each task. IMHO that's what will happen with the C7, a variety of materials in the chassis appropriate to the task and joined by the new methods.
BINGO! There was an interview that was played here somewhere around 2 years ago that featured a discussion by some GM exec about new connective technologies that were going to be a key part of the new Corvette.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
You know what looking like a genius to strangers on the internet is worth? Don't spend it all in one place.
That plus $4.50 will get you a cafe latte.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Dime
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they do do it they need to do it the same way they WERE going to do it on the c4; it was going to be one piece like it is now, and the t would be hidden underneath when the top was on. As long as they don't do it in two pieces I think it's not a bad idea; easy was to stiffen the frame and potential more protection incase of a roll.

Quick Reply: Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?