C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes - no more pbr calipers for corvettes?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Brakes - no more pbr calipers for corvettes?

Anyone notice how none of the test mules had the older brakes? It looks like the corvette brakes are finally going to be brembo for everything.

My guess would be the contract for the pbr brakes will get transferred to the lower road cars and some of the suvs.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Anyone notice how none of the test mules had the older brakes? It looks like the corvette brakes are finally going to be brembo for everything.

My guess would be the contract for the pbr brakes will get transferred to the lower road cars and some of the suvs.

Any thoughts or info on this?
I didn't know Corvette was using Pabst Blue Ribbon cans to recycle into the brake calipers....................

J/K - but at the risk of showing my ignorance, what the heck is a pbr brake?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

http://www.pbr.com.au/
pbr is an australian company that has had a contract for a while with gm. they make the floating calipers for the base and z51 vettes, as well as the 6 piston/4 piston z06/gs calipers

gm got into a contract with brembo and started using their brakes on the new camaro and the Zr1/Z07 vettes, but continued to use the stuff off the contract with pbr for the rest of the c6 corvettes.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
http://www.pbr.com.au/
pbr is an australian company that has had a contract for a while with gm. they make the floating calipers for the base and z51 vettes, as well as the 6 piston/4 piston z06/gs calipers

gm got into a contract with brembo and started using their brakes on the new camaro and the Zr1/Z07 vettes, but continued to use the stuff off the contract with pbr for the rest of the c6 corvettes.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the test mules have Brembo brakes?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Did the test mules have Brembo brakes?
looks like they might. click on the zoom button. http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-1...o-photo-443522

Last edited by DREAMERAK; 05-30-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
looks like they might. click on the zoom button. http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-1...o-photo-443522

The speculation that the PBR brakes are being totally replaced with Brembos based on the test mule photo might have some merit . . .

But only IF you were certain which model of the Vette the test mule is - And IF you knew the test mules weren't running off the shelf brake parts - And IF you had insider info that PBR wasn't offering a new design for the C7 - And IF GM wanted us to know at this point

The IF's AND's & BUT's are too numerous for me to speculate
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
The speculation that the PBR brakes are being totally replaced with Brembos based on the test mule photo might have some merit . . .

But only IF you were certain which model of the Vette the test mule is - And IF you knew the test mules weren't running off the shelf brake parts - And IF you had insider info that PBR wasn't offering a new design for the C7 - And IF GM wanted us to know at this point

The IF's AND's & BUT's are too numerous for me to speculate
That's the whole point of C7 general, discussing and speculating what "might" happen. If we use you standard for worthy discussion, there won't be a hell of alot to talk about.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I didn't know Corvette was using Pabst Blue Ribbon cans to recycle into the brake calipers....................

J/K - but at the risk of showing my ignorance, what the heck is a pbr brake?
What? PBR was pbr before PBR was referred to as PBR...sabe?

back in the 90's PBR was synonymous with vette brakes and otherwise only on the special edition 1LE camaros and b4c police package specials and Cobra 'stangs. They are pedestrian now, but they were deluxe back in the day.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I guess I am confused here ... the few test mule shots I have seen look like they are using the normal Z06 setup. Not sure why GM would feel compelled to change particularly, especially if the C7 is somewhat lighter than the current car.

The Z06/GS uses PBR M-Series that are also available on several Holden models and as an aftermarket upgrade Down Under (see link below):

http://www.pbrperformance.com.au/M-SeriesUpgrade.htm

The history of PBR is fascinating, and it represented the culmination of many of the early leaders in brake design ... Repco, Lockheed/Girlock, and PBR itself. Check it out at:

http://www.pbr.com.au/about/history.shtml

Last edited by 07MontyRed; 05-31-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
I guess I am confused here ... the few test mule shots I have seen look like they are using the normal Z06 setup. Not sure why GM would feel compelled to change particularly, especially if the C7 is somewhat lighter than the current car.
More braking isnt the issue; its reliability - the current Z06 brakes dont like track use and have a lot of problems with guide pins shifting out of the calipers, and padlets popping out. Also just haveing the name brembo sells better...

anyway heres a close up picture of a test mule:

The caliper shape is clearly brembo, the rotors are iron, and the diameter isnt very large - maybe 13", which tells me this will be the base or Z51 brake setup.

another shot - while the fronts also look like brembos, the rear calipers are the floating design

one more
Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

And 'slotted' rotors of course as opposed to 'cross drilled' which is a good thing.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed

That was a good story about the history of PBR, thanks.

When the C4 Corvette was introduced in spring of 1983 a featured item was the Girlock (Girling-Lockheed) brakes.

Girlock evolved into PBR shortly thereafter. Similarly, the C5's Borg Warner 6-speed evolved into a Tremec, and more recently the Dana aluminum Z06/ZR1 frames made in Hopkinsville KY have become Metalsa.

After equipping more and more American performance models, Brembo now has a new manufacturing facility in Homer Michigan. The first US-made Brembo calipers are appearing on the new Cadillac XTS now and the ATS later this summer (even non-performance models). It would seem logical for GM to use Brembos on the C7, whether US-made or imported.

I wonder if the evolution from Goodyear to Michelin will be complete with the C7...
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
That's the whole point of C7 general, discussing and speculating what "might" happen. If we use you standard for worthy discussion, there won't be a hell of alot to talk about.

OH . . . . in that case, Never Mind
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One practical aspect when applying excellent brakes in a panic stop . . . The moron behind you is going to drive right over you . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes - no more pbr calipers for corvettes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes - no more pbr calipers for corvettes?