Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by BobRBob
This is a possibility and I do hope you are correct because a NEW car is what GM needs to save the Corvette. A C6 re-skin won't do, especially if it looks anything like the Jalopy renderings and the other pictures we've seen.

Here's hoping.
Well, we do know it has a different wheelbase than the C6 because of the mules in C6 bodies, so while it might resemble a C6 in order to be a Corvette, it won't be a reskin. There will be new underpinnings of some sort.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Bankruptcy is a chance to reorganize and re-energize. It does not spell the end of a company.

Look at GM's financial results over the last two years. Something to be proud of.

Look at what GM has introduced here and around the world during the same time. A whole lot to be proud of!

GM doesn't have to build a new, ground up C7 to have a successful model. Just keep enhancing what they have.
To your point, the new Impala actually looks pretty good. It's been stuck in rental car fleets for way too long.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Bankruptcy is a chance to reorganize and re-energize. It does not spell the end of a company.

Look at GM's financial results over the last two years. Something to be proud of.

Look at what GM has introduced here and around the world during the same time. A whole lot to be proud of!

GM doesn't have to build a new, ground up C7 to have a successful model. Just keep enhancing what they have.

I think the (ahem) reorganization has pretty well determined that the C7 will not be anything more than a "revamped" (There's that word again, spoken by a GM suit) C6. With which I have no problem whatsoever.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

I think the (ahem) reorganization has pretty well determined that the C7 will not be anything more than a "revamped" (There's that word again, spoken by a GM suit) C6. With which I have no problem whatsoever.
I second that. The C6 is a pretty damed good car. A great platform to build on.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

[/B]

Bert, be warned, they don't get to the top of the GM food chain making rookie mistakes. The savvy GM exec will play down the C7 until C6 production ends. It would be a career ending move to say something stupid, kill off C6 sales, and idle workers in BG before the production run ends. Google "Osborne Effect" for an example. Minimizing words like "revamped" are exactly how they'd spin it. Then once the C7 is unveiled far more powerful adjectives will flow in their interviews; exciting, all new, revolutionary, fastest, best, dramatically improved, more nimble, completely redesigned. You've heard them all before, marketing guys recycle these words constantly.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

why are people even using the term "re-skin"?

the C7 will have new engines, new transmissions, probably mostly new hardware, new interior, new electronics...AND a new body. it's a NEW car

it is the same style of platform, but the Corvette has been since 1984. so, its an "evolutionary" design...so what? The new Viper, the new 911 and Boxster, new Mustang, the new M3, the God-like Z4 (Z3.4), hell even the Ferrari 458 and Lambo Aventador are ALL evolutionary designs revealed in the past couple of years.

If you want revolutionary, maybe the vette needs to take a 6 year break and "find it self" like the Camaro did.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Unfortunately, at this stage, we are all operating on speculation, guesswork, optimism, hope and change. Well, not those last two things.
Don't ever say Hope and Change again
Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Don't ever say Hope and Change again
Hope and Obstruction to Change.

Fixed that.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

A lot of C7 visitors are hoping for change. AWD, mid-rear engine, high-end sound, bespoke steering wheel, glass cockpit, Jalopnik, not-Jalopnik, sub-3000lb curb weight... this section would not exist without hope and change.

.Jinx
Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Detailed specs?? How about just a teaser or two? The natives are restless . . .
That much is obvious!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Bankruptcy has a way of slowing down new product development.
I disagree. Bankruptcy and a bailout for the American consumer generally does not mean..."Ok, you messed things up, now be really careful of what you do in the future"....it is usually taken as "Hey I don't have all that bad debt anymore....and look at all this free $$ !! Let's go spend it!!!"

I can't really see corporate America being any different.

Not to mention, redesigning a car is redesigning a car, regardless of what "kind" of car it is. True the Vette most likely costs a bit more in it's make over because it tends to be the test market for designs to incorporate into other models (drive by wire as an example). But it's not like it is using up 50% of GM's budget or something. I would bet that in comparison to all other things they are working on company wide, the Vette is most likely only a small portion of what concerns them in their overall goals as a company.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

look at what gm did with the 2011 hd trucks, new chassis-brakes and suspension,same body,2013/2014 new body,also when they changed over to the new-2007 body they used the 2001-2006 frame,could the c7 vette be getting the same thing?,,could this be a transision car,done in stages over the next 2-4 years?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Doubtful. Trucks are pretty modular. The cab bolts to the frame, the bed bolts to the frame, the engine bay is roomy... Corvette packaging is a nightmare by comparison.

.Jinx
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

corvette body bolts to frame too,eng's arnt going to be that different
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
I was told by a person in the know that we would see the C7 changes from the C6 a great as those from the C4 to C5 (which suggests a basically new car)!
The GM production engineer that spoke to our Corvette club a few months ago said the same thing.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

part of having high sales when a car Début's, is having the hype and dram before it Début's. That way you will say "WWWOOOWWW" when you see one regardless of how it looks or what it is.

I bet you this:
It will have 4 wheels, a front bumper, a rear bumper, fiberglass panels and navigation and bluetooth and a large motor.. whats new?

Last edited by Chad97z; 06-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:45 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by m48xhp
why are people even using the term "re-skin"?

the C7 will have new engines, new transmissions, probably mostly new hardware, new interior, new electronics...AND a new body. it's a NEW car

it is the same style of platform, but the Corvette has been since 1984. so, its an "evolutionary" design...so what? The new Viper, the new 911 and Boxster, new Mustang, the new M3, the God-like Z4 (Z3.4), hell even the Ferrari 458 and Lambo Aventador are ALL evolutionary designs revealed in the past couple of years.

If you want revolutionary, maybe the vette needs to take a 6 year break and "find it self" like the Camaro did.
Don't forget the new aluminum frame!

Get notified of new replies

To maybe this is why the mystery

Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

You can only go so fast on the road and the C6 Z06 is fast enough. Aluminum frame doesn't matter unless they make it lighter for better gas mileage.. that would be a good thing! But if they increase horsepower and make it less economical, and offset it with a lighter frame, then there is nothing to gain. Going faster is irrelevant. And it already handles awesome. Aluminum frame doesn't make it look better either.

But one thing I would LOVE to see, is all you C6 Z06 owners go trade your car for a new one! Then the current Z06 market would be more flooded than what it already is. So someone might be more tempted to lower the price, if they want to sell soon. haha

Separately, I wouldn't be surprised if the new vette sales are less than optimum, especially for the Z06 or whatever they call it. I know "everyone" wants a vette, but I just see so many people bailing on their Z06's with low miles. So I just keep thinking that these people are saying "it's not worth it" or "I'd rather have the cash than leave it in the garage".. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad97z
You can only go so fast on the road and the C6 Z06 is fast enough. Aluminum frame doesn't matter unless they make it lighter for better gas mileage.. that would be a good thing! But if they increase horsepower and make it less economical, and offset it with a lighter frame, then there is nothing to gain. Going faster is irrelevant. And it already handles awesome. Aluminum frame doesn't make it look better either.

But one thing I would LOVE to see, is all you C6 Z06 owners go trade your car for a new one! Then the current Z06 market would be more flooded than what it already is. So someone might be more tempted to lower the price, if they want to sell soon. haha

Separately, I wouldn't be surprised if the new vette sales are less than optimum, especially for the Z06 or whatever they call it. I know "everyone" wants a vette, but I just see so many people bailing on their Z06's with low miles. So I just keep thinking that these people are saying "it's not worth it" or "I'd rather have the cash than leave it in the garage".. Just my 2 cents.
Good point. People who have enough money to purchase these cars new are generally astute about values. Why spend a heck of a lot of $$, divest a perfectly good car, only to buy a C7 which will sit in the garage and depreciate (even while collecting coats of Zaino)?

The C7 has a big job ahead of it: Turn enough heads sufficiently to crack open those wallets.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad97z
I bet you this:
It will have 4 wheels, a front bumper, a rear bumper, fiberglass panels and navigation and bluetooth and a large motor.. whats new?
Fiberglass? Really? You truly believe that they're going back to that after all of these years? (the current cars use SMC I believe, not actual fiberglass anymore).

Also, Nav (and/or Bluetooth) might be available, but may not be standard.

Quick Reply: maybe this is why the mystery