C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The same thing will drive sales that has always driven sales. This factor drove sales in the mid to late 70s and into the 80s when the vette was a very poor car ( my opinion ) yet sold zillions.

What is this factor?

Brand loyalty. Period.

Other ideas about what drive sales include:

Much higher MSRP. Now, is much higher MSRP going to increase unit sales? No. Higher price always translates in consumer marketing to a higher perceived value. How else has the factory gotten away with raising the MSRP every year on the C6 though few real improvements were made to justify it?

People equate cost with worth. Period. So, my hunch is that the C7 is going to be radically different for sure. But what will be most different is the marketing model. I predict a Viper style pricing and marketing strategy for the C7. That is much higher price and much lower volume. Profit per unit will be much higher so far fewer units will need to be sold to deliver the same overall profit from the car.

They want a halo car? OK....make it cost a lot more. No matter that it will be out of reach of most potential buyers as was the Viper. No matter. Same profit on fewer units built. Use the excess unused plant capacity to build something else. Simple.

Some potential C7 buyers would pay $100,000 for a C7 that was an identical copy of a '75 model just with "C7" on the fender. They'd love it because they would have the newest model with the best bragging rights.

You guys think it's going to be business as usual. In fact the annual sales has already been cut in half! You think their marketing plan will be to regrow sales to the 30,000 to 35,000 per year range? Why exercise themselves to that degree? Just raise the MSRP way high and sell maybe 12,000 a year...or 8000.....who cares....it's all just arithmetic to arrive at the same profit as with the higher volumes.

The corporation is not in business to provide everyone of you who wants to buy a C7 with the car at a price you can afford. Think Viper. Think most people can't afford the car. You see the handwriting on the wall yet? Welcome to the future.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
The same thing will drive sales that has always driven sales. This factor drove sales in the mid to late 70s and into the 80s when the vette was a very poor car ( my opinion ) yet sold zillions.

What is this factor?

Brand loyalty. Period.

Other ideas about what drive sales include:

Much higher MSRP. Now, is much higher MSRP going to increase unit sales? No. Higher price always translates in consumer marketing to a higher perceived value. How else has the factory gotten away with raising the MSRP every year on the C6 though few real improvements were made to justify it?

People equate cost with worth. Period. So, my hunch is that the C7 is going to be radically different for sure. But what will be most different is the marketing model. I predict a Viper style pricing and marketing strategy for the C7. That is much higher price and much lower volume. Profit per unit will be much higher so far fewer units will need to be sold to deliver the same overall profit from the car.

They want a halo car? OK....make it cost a lot more. No matter that it will be out of reach of most potential buyers as was the Viper. No matter. Same profit on fewer units built. Use the excess unused plant capacity to build something else. Simple.

Some potential C7 buyers would pay $100,000 for a C7 that was an identical copy of a '75 model just with "C7" on the fender. They'd love it because they would have the newest model with the best bragging rights.

You guys think it's going to be business as usual. In fact the annual sales has already been cut in half! You think their marketing plan will be to regrow sales to the 30,000 to 35,000 per year range? Why exercise themselves to that degree? Just raise the MSRP way high and sell maybe 12,000 a year...or 8000.....who cares....it's all just arithmetic to arrive at the same profit as with the higher volumes.

The corporation is not in business to provide everyone of you who wants to buy a C7 with the car at a price you can afford. Think Viper. Think most people can't afford the car. You see the handwriting on the wall yet? Welcome to the future.
This is the Porsche business model as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
..... with a true audiophile sound system available, .......
That's like asking for unicorn skin seats; It doesn't exist. "true audiophile sound" and "in a car" do not go together. Acoustically not in the cards. Good enough to fool some people, who don't hear the best and have never listened to live acoustical music.... maybe. "true audiophile sound"? No.

The closest you might get would involve the best headphones for each listener. It will not happen in a standard production car.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The body styling will be what drives sales. There will be the interior upgrade and some new mechanical technology and electronics upgrades but for most people there is enough horsepower already. Unless they dramatically raise the price point think improvements with an eye on costs. The looks that inspire " I gotta have one" will be the thing that will make the most difference without increasing costs dramatically. I hope they avoid the new Camaro look.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

It's the Corvette PR machine that will convince me to buy one. If Corvette falls further behind in those PR Wars, I'll buy something else.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OregonC6

What is this factor?

Brand loyalty. Period.

...[snip]...
Brand loyalty influences every product being sold, bigger, more expensive products more than the smaller ones. That's why building a new brand so much more difficult than selling the established product. The "new" product must be clearly better in some important way than the established one to win market share. Brand is even more important to car makers because we "wear" a car, people see us in it, the car becomes a part of our self image.

You can see brand loyalty at work on CF regularly. People make excuses for Corvette weaknesses instead of acknowledging that the area needs to be improved. They rationalize or defend Corvette shortcomings with often ridiculous arguments because they can't control the product development (fix the problem) but they intend to keep buying it anyway.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

1. Horsepower 2. Handling 3. Appearance In that order
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
That's like asking for unicorn skin seats; It doesn't exist. "true audiophile sound" and "in a car" do not go together. Acoustically not in the cards. Good enough to fool some people, who don't hear the best and have never listened to live acoustical music.... maybe. "true audiophile sound"? No.

The closest you might get would involve the best headphones for each listener. It will not happen in a standard production car.
Really? You don't understand the point I was making?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

The factor I would look for in making the move to a C7 would be general quality control and dealer support.

I hope that 6 months after its release these forums are not populated by horror stories involving a combination of poor build quality and multiple attempts to have problems resolved by apathetic dealers.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Short answer: Value (Aeshetics + Performance + Quality of Build)
Long answer: More Value (The car has to say to me: "I have made a step forward")

Statistically "JOE USA" is getting poorer included myself. If C7 shows up with the "we are moving upscale proposition" ala you know who..

I'll do what 90% sports cars enthusiast do: Buy a C7 poster, tack it in the office, and talk all day long about its new "photoplutonic ambiance lighting"..
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
Really? You don't understand the point I was making?
Racer X got hung up on your choice of words, and "true audiophile sound" set him off. Just say you want "higher quality audio" and it's harder for anyone to argue with.

Most readers realize you aren't asking for dedicated music room sound quality, $100K audio system in your car kinds of stuff, but audio quality is a hot button for Racer X and he will always jump on it.

A lot of people enjoy music while driving and many want better quality audio than they are getting with Corvettes today. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Racer X got hung up on your choice of words, and "true audiophile sound" set him off. Just say you want "higher quality audio" and it's harder for anyone to argue with.

Most readers realize you aren't asking for dedicated music room sound quality, $100K audio system in your car kinds of stuff, but audio quality is a hot button for Racer X and he will always jump on it.

A lot of people enjoy music while driving and many want better quality audio than they are getting with Corvettes today. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

Cheers,
JB
Thanks, and I agree. I've owned a Lexus with Mark Levinson, currently own a BMW with their premium system and a Acura TL with the tech package - which is considered by many to be the best factory stereo made. I get that you can't get the best possible sound in a car, but these systems sound awfully good to my tinny ears
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It will not be a single item for me. Overall styling, roominess and performance will be the keys. If I don't like the way it looks, how fast it goes and how comfortable I am with the interior room/storage, I won't buy it.

I am content with all of the above in my C5 vert. My vert is just getting long in the tooth and would like something different, but dropping $70k+ on a new car means I better love it.

Last edited by chaase; 06-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by warren s
The factor I would look for in making the move to a C7 would be general quality control and dealer support.

I hope that 6 months after its release these forums are not populated by horror stories involving a combination of poor build quality and multiple attempts to have problems resolved by apathetic dealers.
No C7 for you, then . There will be mistakes, and they will be reported here. A few of those mistakes will be compounded and qualify as horror stories.

One of the most useful functions of any forum is to be a clearinghouse for issues. Whether those issues represent individual defects, a particular minor shortcoming in design/process, or something more common or more serious than are experienced with other cars/dealers/mfrs like Toyota or Porsche... well, that remains to be argued about.

But if your criteria is "no horror stories," I think you'll end up buying a car for which there isn't a dominantly successful online forum yet.

.Jinx
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
No C7 for you, then . There will be mistakes, and they will be reported here. A few of those mistakes will be compounded and qualify as horror stories.

One of the most useful functions of any forum is to be a clearinghouse for issues. Whether those issues represent individual defects, a particular minor shortcoming in design/process, or something more common or more serious than are experienced with other cars/dealers/mfrs like Toyota or Porsche... well, that remains to be argued about.

But if your criteria is "no horror stories," I think you'll end up buying a car for which there isn't a dominantly successful online forum yet.

.Jinx
Think about how many reliable cars are bought by happy owners for every horror story you read about on the web. 100:1? 1000:1? This isn't Vegas, the odds are in your favor.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
Key words - Populated by........As in current and multiple online accounts of not only problems with the vehicle, but how the dealers treat people that have issues with their $50k to 100k cars. How about going a few weeks without one?

Not looking for perfection or anything close...just better than how it now.

Last edited by warren s; 06-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Think about how many reliable cars are bought by happy owners for every horror story you read about on the web. 100:1? 1000:1? This isn't Vegas, the odds are in your favor.

Cheers,
JB
Maybe that can be said Altimas and Camrys.
As far as I know, they make less than 20000 Corvettes a year, about what some other cars sell in a month.

Corvettes are also much more expensive. There needs to be improvements in both general quality and dealer service.

Last edited by warren s; 06-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A rear seat
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by warren s
Key words - Populated by........As in current and multiple online accounts of not only problems with the vehicle, but how the dealers treat people that have issues with their $50k to 100k cars. How about going a few weeks without one?

Not looking for perfection or anything close...just better than how it now.
Every few weeks there's a horror story in C6 General? Yikes. How many are horror stories because of the car, and how many are horror stories because of the dealer? One says "don't buy this car," the other says "don't use this dealer" which doesn't necessarily preclude buying the car.

Happily, I've had good dealer experiences, so that's not a worry for me.

.Jinx
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The economy again? Please.
Just so back to the Isuzu forum.

Whoa, wait just one minute. There's an Isuzu forum. . . . ?

Quick Reply: What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?