Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 News Fom Bowling Green

Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
I also wonder how much of the lower tier Corvette sales are winding up in the 85,000 Camaros GM sold last year.
I'm convinced that the economy, the competition and the market have all swirled and changed around the 'base' Corvette, which it is still essentially the way it came out in 2005. That seems very long ago to me now and sales have dropped so much since the 35k of years ago.

The Camaro, Caddy, Mustang, GTR, and other competitors have significantly upped their performance game since then and there have just been more, less expensive options for buyers while they have less disposable income. Maybe if the C7 is perceived to have a far higher interior/overall quality while adding some new innovations, it will help with those sales numbers.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm convinced that the economy, the competition and the market have all swirled and changed around the 'base' Corvette, which it is still essentially the way it came out in 2005. That seems very long ago to me now and sales have dropped so much since the 35k of years ago.

The Camaro, Caddy, Mustang, GTR, and other competitors have significantly upped their performance game since then and there have just been more, less expensive options for buyers while they have less disposable income. Maybe if the C7 is perceived to have a far higher interior/overall quality while adding some new innovations, it will help with those sales numbers.
Exactly.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Great news for BG.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z edge
i guess they will call it - c7 or corvette - right?
cvii
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
cvii
Naw - it ain't no Eyetailin car............. No Roamin Knewmurals here, just good ole Murican numbers...........
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Naw - it ain't no Eyetailin car............. No Roamin Knewmurals here, just good ole Murican numbers...........

I'd like nothing better than to see a 2014 Sting Ray. But it better be true to the gorgeous C2 style to carry that name.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I'd like nothing better than to see a 2014 Sting Ray. But it better be true to the gorgeous C2 style to carry that name.

Having a '67 and an '06 myself, I'd like nothing better that to see the new one combine the best of both. And, I love the emblem form the show car - even if I can't stand the design of the car itself..........

Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe, just maybe, some money will be thrown at the paint shop. I am really unhappy with the tons of orange peel the C6's have.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

gm has orange peel in everything,,they need to put more material on everything so it can be wet sanded and buffed ,,if they need more money [$100-$200] fine add a ck box on my order form so i can do it
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Maybe, just maybe, some money will be thrown at the paint shop. I am really unhappy with the tons of orange peel the C6's have.
FWIW - I went to a car show a few weeks ago and a stock 3 year old Corvette in Crystal Red won Best Paint. (Not mine.) The award sponsor was a custom painting company. They worked hard to find faults with the factory paint and pick a custom painted car, even returned to the C6 a second time to look at it again during the tabulations.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
gm has orange peel in everything,,they need to put more material on everything so it can be wet sanded and buffed ,,if they need more money [$100-$200] fine add a ck box on my order form so i can do it
Id pay up to 500 but it would need to include a hands off policy by employees and an upgrade in shipping to be covered and not exposed trucks.

Last edited by gatti-man; 06-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

FWIW - I went to a car show a few weeks ago and a stock 3 year old Corvette in Crystal Red won Best Paint. (Not mine.) The award sponsor was a custom painting company. They worked hard to find faults with the factory paint and pick a custom painted car, even returned to the C6 a second time to look at it again during the tabulations.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
As do I. And frankly I'm not exactly certain why it isn't. The car is a helluva a value, it goes like stink. The slam on the interior quality is way over blown.

The C5 had an interior made by Tupperware, had no advertising support and it outsold the C6 3 to 1. I can't attribute that to hidden headlights and a butt big enough for a Kardashian.

The only thing I can figure is the Corvette has finally reached the point where the price is beyond the market. I'd be interested to see where the price point is relative to the average car price for a 2012 and then same thing for a 2002.
I saw a stat that the average American has lost 30% of their net worth since 2008. That makes selling a luxury sports car - essentially the most expensive toy most will ever buy - a very tough proposition.

I also wonder how much of the lower tier Corvette sales are winding up in the 85,000 Camaros GM sold last year.
All good points. I believe the C7 will be a step forward going into a very challenging market even in 2014..
The C3 sales numbers tell a story for all ages..
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm convinced that the economy, the competition and the market have all swirled and changed around the 'base' Corvette, which it is still essentially the way it came out in 2005.
Feelings were similar in 2003. Sure, there was Z06, but that was a lot more expensive; the base car just got different paint colors and special editions, and the LS1 and interior were feeling pretty dated. There was the recent F55 magnetic ride suspension, but the feeling was that GM had better be bringing some big improvements. Then C6 debuted and, for most folks, all was right with the world again.

So I'm not worried.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
Feelings were similar in 2003. Sure, there was Z06, but that was a lot more expensive; the base car just got different paint colors and special editions, and the LS1 and interior were feeling pretty dated. There was the recent F55 magnetic ride suspension, but the feeling was that GM had better be bringing some big improvements. Then C6 debuted and, for most folks, all was right with the world again.

So I'm not worried.
I'm worried.

The C7 may be pricing the Corvette out of its market. I believe there's an upper limit to what people will spend on a Chevy. Maybe they ought to move it to the Cadillac division.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

I'm worried.

The C7 may be pricing the Corvette out of its market. I believe there's an upper limit to what people will spend on a Chevy. Maybe they ought to move it to the Cadillac division.
That's a pretty radical suggestion. Move it to Cadillac for what benefits? Higher average sale price?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

That's a pretty radical suggestion. Move it to Cadillac for what benefits? Higher average sale price?
It may be priced out of what is traditionally considered Chevrolet's market. Buick doesn't seem to fit. That leaves Cadillac . . . or, heh, GMC . . .

Get notified of new replies

To C7 News Fom Bowling Green

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I'm worried.

I think you might be listening to the wrong people here.

The price of the outgoing C4 in 1996 was $37,520. In today's dollars that's $54,956.

So even if GM prices the 2014 base Corvette at the same level as the C6 GrandSport, they're scarcely increasing the price of the car at all, considering inflation over the long haul. If they match it to the outgoing base car, as they typically do, then in constant dollars it'll be cheaper than it has been.

Some folks have been repeating $60K a lot. Repetition doesn't make something true. That's almost a 20% hike over C7's predecessor. Do you really think that's going to happen, in light of the other bits of knowledge we've gleaned about the car? I don't think GM has the *****, much less the inclination, even if they had market research showing they'd make more money and get a better halo effect from taking the base Corvette upmarket.

.Jinx
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

It may be priced out of what is traditionally considered Chevrolet's market. Buick doesn't seem to fit. That leaves Cadillac . . . or, heh, GMC . . .
All but the base model have been priced out of Chevy's typical market for many years (decades?). What is the point of pulling Corvette from Chevy now?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Also, ZR1 demonstrates that people will spend $110K on a Chevrolet. The brand name does not preclude compelling content from finding buyers, even if it's priced twice as high as any other model sharing the badge. Of course, you'll note that Corvette doesn't quite share the Chevrolet badge. The bowtie is just a small element of the Corvette badge.

BTW, when's the last time Corvette wore a Chevrolet badge, i.e. on its own as is done on every other Chevy as opposed to just a part of a Corvette badge?

Last edited by Jinx; 06-16-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 News Fom Bowling Green