Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The Impala seems to lack physical controls. That would be AWFUL for any car, let alone a performance car. More importantly, did you see how the driver had to look at the screen. GM should have seen this and thought, "This isn't a good idea."
Look at the Impala video again at the :41 and :1:00 marks. He is doing set ups by touch screen which is very typical today. There are steering wheel and dash control buttons and ***** for the radio and environment at least and I suspect cruise, wipers, and lights too. What else do you want to operate by *****?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He scrolls through a list on the screen while driving. That's the part I don't like.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

He scrolls through a list on the screen while driving. That's the part I don't like.
And no one should do that as with texting and cell phone use. So, would you approve if those screen touch Set Up operations could only be done in park and voice operations to give system directions, such "cabin temperture 72 degrees" while driving?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Again, Maybe this could be a solution. BMW has what is called "iDrive" which does not use touch screen but has a big button on the center console, near the shifter, that you twist to scroll, then push to set a parameter on the screen that you can then go down menu lists. Problem is, you still may have to peek at the screen so as not to lose your way. But then again voice prompts could tell you where you are as you negotiate menus.

Here is the best part, Corvette could do something similar but add the monitor screen view to the heads-up display only when making changes so you must keep your eyes on the road. Voice prompts would add additional aid. Also, an override could be incorporated in a switch in the passenger seat so the screen view is given as well.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Impala seems to lack physical controls. That would be AWFUL for any car, let alone a performance car. More importantly, did you see how the driver had to look at the screen. GM should have seen this and thought, "This isn't a good idea."
Maybe you should look at that video again. All kinds of ***** on the Impala's dash. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that we need normal physical controls that work if the 'system software' goes down.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

In regards to the acronym CUE: Cadillac User Experience, Chevy User Experience, Corvette User Experience
Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
In regards to the acronym CUE: Cadillac User Experience, Chevy User Experience, Corvette User Experience
Terse and pithy.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
And no one should do that as with texting and cell phone use. So, would you approve if those screen touch Set Up operations could only be done in park and voice operations to give system directions, such "cabin temperture 72 degrees" while driving?
Yes. Exactly. I'd rather have a voice control button on the steering wheel. ONLY one button. I don't care about volume control or radio control being on the steering wheel. Keep it simple. Just one button (maybe two, one on each side for which ever hand is on the wheel) and it's just for voice command. The rest I can deal with since my hand is usually on the shifter anyway.

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Again, Maybe this could be a solution. BMW has what is called "iDrive" which does not use touch screen but has a big button on the center console, near the shifter, that you twist to scroll, then push to set a parameter on the screen that you can then go down menu lists. Problem is, you still may have to peek at the screen so as not to lose your way. But then again voice prompts could tell you where you are as you negotiate menus.

Here is the best part, Corvette could do something similar but add the monitor screen view to the heads-up display only when making changes so you must keep your eyes on the road. Voice prompts would add additional aid. Also, an override could be incorporated in a switch in the passenger seat so the screen view is given as well.
Yeah, I've seen the iDrive system. I'm not a fan, but I've heard it's gotten better over the years. I just don't want a display for anything other than the navigation and time. And the navigation should hide or the screen should just turn into a giant clock while it's not in use or the car is in drive. Call me minimalist, but I don't like to have things I have to look at while I'm driving.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maybe you should look at that video again. All kinds of ***** on the Impala's dash. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that we need normal physical controls that work if the 'system software' goes down.
Right, there are some controls, but it looks like he was using the screen for everything. If you look at the CUE videos, they hardly use the screen at all. I like that. Touch screens are great for doing advanced things on the system while you're parked. That is unless the passenger is doing all the work.

Quick Reply: Electronics on the C7