Sponsored by:

Talked to someone from GM...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPJR

I'm literally not buying the "similar hp out of less displacement" approach.
I don't care if the size drops to 5.5L, it's got to put out at LEAST 450hp.
I'd want to see a torque curve as well. I have no interest in an M3 powerband type motor....
Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
The odds of massive weight loss to make up the power difference are low.

Base C6 Curb Weight: 3200lb
Base C6 HP: 430
Weight vs HP 100lbs = 10hp

If people want the feel of 500hp, which I know I do, here are the numbers. Starting with a base C6 weight you will need 70hp more, or a reduction of 700lbs or a combination of the two. At 450hp, you need to shed 500lbs which isn't going to happen. At 475hp, you need to shed 250lbs which may be possible.

I won't go into the perils of power to weight. Power to weight is meaningful if the power is in a usable range which can be a problem with many engines. There isn't enough oomph off the line.
And at this point, I would even be very happy with a 475hp rating and only a 100 pound reduction in weight.
But I'm growing less and less hopeful that it will be any more than a 450hp rating and less than even a 50 pound weight reduction.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like a sweet motor--more hp from less displacement. Could be lighter too, less front weight, better balance front to rear.

Coincidentally, the C6.R is 5.5L, 491hp, 485lb-ft, so this C7 engine could be based on that. I'd be thrilled to have one.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
C5 had only 20 more HP (if that) than LT4 which it replaced but was a much better car and sold well.

Let's look at the total package before being disappointed. The Z is really a no-compromises hard-edged car. It is not for everybody.

If the C7 comes in at 450HP and 3100 lbs, with great looks, excellent fuel efficiency, top-drawer interior and improved targa function, it will meet most Vette buyers' needs very well.

Not to mention the first year base model is not going to have more H.P. than the current Z06 or be faster. That will most likly come a year or 2 later. Thatys how its always been. And I will not be trading in my 09 Z06 unless the car just blows me away, even then I may wait untill the following year when they have worked out all the bugs
Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
svt2z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is just one thing I have to say about this thread...

"LOOK AROUND PEOPLE"

Did you see Ford reduce the size of the mustang motor and marginalize the hp output? NO (the GT went from a 4.6 to 5.0 motor adding nearly 100 hp and the cobra went from 5.4 to 5.8 adding 112 hp!!)

Did you see Dodge reduce the size of the motor in the Viper and marginalize the HP? NO (they kept the GIGANTIC 8.4 and added 40 more hp to an already 600!)

So based on the above do you think GM's response to all of this is going to be shrink the motor and raise the hp by 14??? Not going to happen.

I'm not calling any of the people that have heard from their GM sources liars but consider this: Do you think what they gave you was an accurate fact about the HP ratings of the new cars or do you think it's more logical that what they gave you was what they WANTED you to think was the actual HP rating?

I will make this guarantee to you all and I'm not an insider nor do I work for GM...but I PROMISE all of you the C7 base will have over 500 hp and the Z will have over 600. FACT
Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svt2z06

"LOOK AROUND PEOPLE"

Did you see Ford reduce the size of the mustang motor and marginalize the hp output? NO (the GT went from a 4.6 to 5.0 motor adding nearly 100 hp and the cobra went from 5.4 to 5.8 adding 112 hp!!)

Did you see Dodge reduce the size of the motor in the Viper and marginalize the HP? NO (they kept the GIGANTIC 8.4 and added 40 more hp to an already 600!)

So based on the above do you think GM's response to all of this is going to be shrink the motor and raise the hp by 14??? Not going to happen.

I'm not calling any of the people that have heard from their GM sources liars but consider this: Do you think what they gave you was an accurate fact about the HP ratings of the new cars or do you think it's more logical that what they gave you was what they WANTED you to think was the actual HP rating?

I will make this guarantee to you all and I'm not an insider nor do I work for GM...but I PROMISE all of you the C7 base will have over 500 hp and the Z will have over 600. FACT
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

People who want a 500hp base car and think they can get it for $50K might as well ask for the hyperdrive, antigravity boots and zero-calorie wedding cake.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by svt2z06

"LOOK AROUND PEOPLE"

There's no way in the world the base car is going to have 500 HP. No way. Remember this is GM we are talking about. They want you to buy the higher HP Z06, ZR-1 and whatever else they will come up with.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And at this point, I would even be very happy with a 475hp rating and only a 100 pound reduction in weight.
But I'm growing less and less hopeful that it will be any more than a 450hp rating and less than even a 50 pound weight reduction.
One of the things I find funny is there was talk about making the car smaller, less weight blah, blah blah. Then the winter testing photos come out, and that car looks as big, if not a little bigger, than the C6. Oh wait I am forgetting, that's all padding

They could save some weight with the aluminum frame that seems to be coming, and a smaller engine would save some weight, but what else is there? The loss of the large rear window that the C6 has? That would save a few pounds I would imagine.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

500 doesn't sound too outlandish. I was always impressed with the 300 hp GM cranked out of the V6 for the Camaro. Given direct injection is becoming the new norm and ever increasing design tweaks, 500 hp out of a high reving 5.5 sized motor doesn't sound too far fetched. Even with less hp and the right overall package, the car will still be amazing.

My big hang up with everyone complaining about "stepping up in hp against competitors": One is a NA V10 producing 640 hp.... the other is a motor closer in size some predict for the C7 that uses forced induction to crank out 650hp+. What are some people expecting out of a 5.5 sized motor that will presumably be NA and still need to avoid the gas guzzler taxing? Rome was not built in a day and the C7 ain't going to be a top contender day 1.

Sadly....I'm surprised some people are still worried about the Corvette going V6. Really guys? Holy hell. Hope you guys are pot stirring on the other forums just to be fair.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Cant wait till Jan 2014, im praying for a great looking C7 with a big *** that runs 11.6 - 11.9 in the 1/4 and has a nice auto be it DCT (doubt this) or a solid slush box trans.

If not, I will be jumping on a 2013 427 or Z06 or Callaway GS!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree about the horsepower but not about the weight. With the new aluminum frame replacing the steel one I'm expecting well over 100
pounds weight reduction on the 2014 base car. When the ZR1 appears later there won't be as much weight loss from the C6 ZR1
because that car already had an aluminum frame.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

The base C7 will have over 500hp. I apologize for disappointing the pessimists.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by ZimC5
5.5L, 450hp range
This has been the rumored engine for quite some time.

NO V6
Already confirmed.

Long, thin, LED lights along the fender, Cadillac like
These features have already been seen in the spy videos.

Possible split window option
This has been a rumor for quite some time.

Some retro design cues
This has been a rumor for quite some time.

Don't take my post as a shot at you, because that is definitely not the case. My point is that it wasn't really anything new. I wish GM reps would simply say, "We can't say anything" instead of wasting everyone's time recycling rumors that everyone has already heard.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
One of the things I find funny is there was talk about making the car smaller, less weight blah, blah blah. Then the winter testing photos come out, and that car looks as big, if not a little bigger, than the C6. Oh wait I am forgetting, that's all padding

They could save some weight with the aluminum frame that seems to be coming, and a smaller engine would save some weight, but what else is there? The loss of the large rear window that the C6 has? That would save a few pounds I would imagine.
The displacement will be smaller, not the actual engine. And when you consider the bores will be smaller, that means there will be more metal around the bores than a large bore engine...the smaller displacement engine will actually weigh more. It may only be 5-10 lbs, but it certainly won't be less. Add all of the DI equipment and any possible form of variable valve timing and you now have 25-50 lbs more.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

The only ones who know the truth about the C7 are on a need to know basis. No one else at GM knows any more than we do. Anyone who knows the truth is not talking.

I believe this to be information leaked by someone who wants to feel important when the truth is they know what we know, which is very little.

Last edited by WildVettes; 06-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Hear the echos? Lots of recycled rumors being repeated on the internet forums.

Get notified of new replies

To Talked to someone from GM...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

The only ones who know the truth about the C7 are on a need to know basis. No one else at GM knows any more than we do. Anyone who knows the truth is not talking.

I believe this to be information leaked by someone who wants to feel important when the truth is they know what we know, which is very little.
True, but we still need something to talk about.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Yeah it has been pretty boring lately.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

OK, OK, jeez....
The C7 is going to be powered by a 4 rotor Wankel. Take that to the BANK. I wrote it, I read it, and I believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet, even when I made it up and then wrote it.

Jimmy

PS. Curb weight of the C7 is 2,578 pounds. Yep, made that up too.

Quick Reply: Talked to someone from GM...