C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't shoot the messenger - GM Rep at show said . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Don't shoot the messenger - GM Rep at show said . . .

I debated whether or not to even make the keystrokes necessary to pass along the info shared with me this AM about the C7. Decided to do so only because the source is a GM employee and with the understanding that I am not representing this info to be accurate or believable.

Open House & Car show this AM - held at a Chevrolet Dealer. Heavy dealer involvement - nice turnout.

Among the booths & attendees, a GM Accessories Booth featuring all things Corvette with discounted pricing and free dealer installation on many items.

Gentleman running the booth shares : Bowling Green busy right now mainly with 427 Convertible and General Anniversary model production. White has jumped from a lower pack color to the number 1 color for 2013 so far. Price conscious customer might consider buying now as pricing of 2014's to go up significantly & all 2014 production to begin with 427 cu in motor.

Remember I'm just the messenger - but the guy does get a GM paycheck. Has to be either a significantly true revelation or a true disinformation plan - IMHO.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 06-24-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
& all 2014 production to begin with 427 cu in motor.
Hmm, that's an interesting new twist. I have my doubts as to it's validity but hey, anything's possible.

And I assume he was actually sitting at a booth, not a both?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Hmm, that's an interesting new twist. I have my doubts as to it's validity but hey, anything's possible.

And I assume he was actually sitting at a booth, not a both?

He was actually standing in a booth - thanks, I corrected the error
Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I debated whether or not to even make the keystrokes necessary to pass along the info shared with me this AM about the C7. Decided to do so only because the source is a GM employee and with the understanding that I am not representing this info to be accurate or believable.

Open House & Car show this AM - held at a Chevrolet Dealer. Heavy dealer involvement - nice turnout.

Among the booths & attendees, a GM Accessories Booth featuring all things Corvette with discounted pricing and free dealer installation on many items.

Gentleman running the booth shares : Bowling Green busy right now mainly with 427 Convertible and General Anniversary model production. White has jumped from a lower pack color to the number 1 color for 2013 so far. Price conscious customer might consider buying now as pricing of 2014's to go up significantly & all 2014 production to begin with 427 cu in motor.

Remember I'm just the messenger - but the guy does get a GM paycheck. Has to be either a significantly true revelation or a true disinformation plan - IMHO.

Third Option: He's simply mistaken.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

Third Option: He's simply mistaken.
That is the most likely scenario.
I bet if one were to poll a bunch of different GM employees and/or various dealership sales staff around the nation that they would get anything from "oh yeah, the new Corvette is coming out in 2015 and will have a turbocharged and supercharged V10" to "the next base model Corvette will be able to top 220mph and get 40mpg in the city" LOL.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Explanation: GM is accustomed to the reduced production volume, and they're so concerned about C7 quality that they want to essentially hand-build the first several months. And they know the all-new design will bring in the "I don't care what it costs" buyers. And lots of existing Corvette owners will wait until the second year no matter what. And they want to hold the new base V8 for the 60th anniversary of the Chevy small block. And they know they can't keep building the LS7 long term.

So the 2014 Corvettes will all be 427s, "one year only," starting at $75K, with 525hp. They figure they'll sell ten thousand of them. Then the LS7 will go away, the new 327 smallblock with 465hp will appear, starting at "just" $60K.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. I don't believe it for a second.

.Jinx
Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Chevy learned a lesson in 2004 when first introducing the C6. It can be argued what the real reason was, but Precision Red became a very short run color soon replaced by Victory Red. Many wanted Torch Red continued and were disapointed. When the announcement of the change in red was made it was stated by Dave Hill that they expected the PR run to be about 300-400 coupes. They ended up making just over 1300 PR coupes and 30 PR verts.

The economy was good then, verts and Le Manns Blue was on constraint but it was interesting to me how a short run color could elicite such a demand response just because it was being replaced.

With the C7 being introduced during a potential bad economic climate, I don't think it would be too large a stretch they would make an early introduced, limited production (<1-2k), special edition Corvette. Offering the 427 at a higher price point along with the "new" ? motor would sure do the trick and shock everyone.

But don't count on it, just an exercise in speculation.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

The lesson: do not experiment with red. (That's what the metallics are for.)

GM listened to complaints that Torch Red was too orange, but went too far with Precision Red. Most potential buyers balked, so GM grabbed some standard Chevy Truck Victory Red as a quick fix.

Most red buyers want classic singe-the-eyeballs screaming-Ferrari red. Even if they're not really sure what that is, they know when they're not seeing it, and they're not shy about stink-raising.

Personally, I think Precision Red is the best Corvette red in the modern era, precisely because it isn't quite Ferrari red. But then I'm not a red buyer.

As to the absurd 427 rumor... I do half-seriously think there's something to be said for building the first few months at a very high specification. GM would probably rather the extra $20K obtainable from the early adopters go to GM rather than the dealers. However, there are a lot of problems with acting on this impulse. That's a lot of engine bay engineering to (re)do. There's no automatic. It muddles the message of the C7 introduction. The press will be merciless on the price hike and the fuel economy. There will be more asinine complaints about misspent taxpayer money and income disparity. It's just... not a good idea.

.Jinx
Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Jinx, that's my point. PR may not have been what everyone expected or desired as a non-metallic red, but look how many were actually built to order, not dealer inventory, when it was a short run color. Marketing underestimated the response by 1000 units in less than 4 months.

I do think you are right about the 427 but GM marketing will keep this as a learning lesson if early C7 customer orders falls short of expectations. Another short run color would be a more likely result.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I liken Precision Red to New Coke: GM's not that dumb, and they're not that smart.

I wonder how many of the orders were speculation, and how many were a matter of not wanting to wait for the new red, especially since the colors were limited for several months of MY2005 production. (I ordered in October and blue still wasn't available. I don't think yellow was either. IIRC my choices were Red, Black, or White -- this from the forum, not a salesman.)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

It would be an interesting twist to the rumors, but I don't believe it for a second. A significant increase would scare buyers away, and that isn't generally the point of an all-new model.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I do believe there will be a price increase, this just sounds like GM trying to unload as many 2013 models as they can before the new model is introduced.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
As to the absurd 427 rumor... I do half-seriously think there's something to be said for building the first few months at a very high specification. GM would probably rather the extra $20K obtainable from the early adopters go to GM rather than the dealers. However, there are a lot of problems with acting on this impulse. That's a lot of engine bay engineering to (re)do. There's no automatic. It muddles the message of the C7 introduction.The press will be merciless on the price hike and the fuel economy. There will be more asinine complaints about misspent taxpayer money and income disparity. It's just... not a good idea.
We have no idea what "engine bay engineering" might be involved because we don't know what the C7 engine or what the C7 engine bay will accommodate. We have no idea if they have a new automatic or not for the 427. How can it "muddle" the message of the C7 since there is no clear C7 'message' anyway?

Further, when was the last time the automotive press complained about Corvette fuel economy? The one thing you can be sure they will bitch about is a crappy interior if there is no real improvement.

About all we really know is there will be no V6 in the base C7.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Your probably right about GM not being smart at all times. I fell in love with PR at the New York Auto Show, Spring '04, and fortunately committed to changing my '05 Coupe from Le Manns Blue to PR. Got it delivered to me 8/31/04. One thing that can be said about buying a new Model Corvette early before winter sets in that year. You get an incredible amount of attention everywhere you go, even non Corvette fans.

PR looks unique and great outside in the sunlight but too dark to some at night or when in your garage. Many coats of Zaino helped overcome that to make the clear coat look deep but not as good if had been a metallic. As to Victory Red, not my favorite red, too light for me. Torch Red being canceled after the C5 was probably premature as it was very popular.

I plan to buy a C7, Night Race Blue if it is still offered just as I had planned on the new C6 as Le Manns Blue. Cashmere Interior with Blue top vert. But then again, I will reserve changing my mind to another great new red.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

BlueOx: I guess you like this rumor. Not worth arguing with you over such fantasy; that's Guibo's job.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

BlueOx: I guess you like this rumor. Not worth arguing with you over such fantasy; that's Guibo's job.
Well, it does seem a bit fantastic but then so did a 427 VERT in the C6 final year. Did they have to redo the engine bay engineering for that?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Well, it does seem a bit fantastic but then so did a 427 VERT in the C6 final year. Did they have to redo the engine bay engineering for that?
No, they did for MY2006 Z06. The 427 convertible was more like "it's about time they came around." Carrying the LS7 forward, or investing in a new version of it, seems more fantastic to me. But maybe despite the wheelbase tweak and all-new bodywork it's not that tight a fit and all the C6 stuff LS7 variant included just drops right in and the firewall is carryover (that's a big one), and it's worth the crash-testing and cert to give us a shock & awe 427. Still, it's a departure from past Corvette launches, and it either defers info about the base Corvette from the initial unveiling or it mixes it in. In the past the Corvette message at unveiling was one model and a handful of great talking points that we can frankly predict for C7: aero, drivetrain technology, performance bump, wow fuel economy, handling refinement, "we listened" interior. Maybe that predictability makes a 427 intro just crazy enough to work. *shrug*

Last edited by Jinx; 06-24-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: firewall comment

Get notified of new replies

To Don't shoot the messenger - GM Rep at show said . . .

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Maybe they will do like they did with the C6 vert and purposefully this time only offer the coupe initially. A coupe with two engine options may intice vert hold outs and others, such as second year'ers, to buy sooner than wait, especially if one engine is an early limited run 427 and not to be repeated. That would get a nice sales bump even in a relatively down economy. Potential collectible seekers would drool.

I am a dreamer by nature, sometime to a fault.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

No, they did for MY2006 Z06. The 427 convertible was more like "it's about time they came around." Carrying the LS7 forward, or investing in a new version of it, seems more fantastic to me. But maybe despite the wheelbase tweak and all-new bodywork it's not that tight a fit and all the C6 stuff LS7 variant included just drops right in and the firewall is carryover (that's a big one), and it's worth the crash-testing and cert to give us a shock & awe 427. Still, it's a departure from past Corvette launches, and it either defers info about the base Corvette from the initial unveiling or it mixes it in. In the past the Corvette message at unveiling was one model and a handful of great talking points that we can frankly predict for C7: aero, drivetrain technology, performance bump, wow fuel economy, handling refinement, "we listened" interior. Maybe that predictability makes a 427 intro just crazy enough to work. *shrug*
Yeah, I meant the GS convertible engine frame/compartment. They must have designed it from day one to handle that engine because they sure couldn't have 'redone' the engine bay for a one year wonder.

I'd be shocked if they didn't design the C7 for a wide variety of engines they might have in mind.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yeah, I meant the GS convertible engine frame/compartment. They must have designed it from day one to handle that engine because they sure couldn't have 'redone' the engine bay for a one year wonder.
I doubt the GS convertible engine frame/compartment is unique.

I'd be shocked if they didn't design the C7 for a wide variety of engines they might have in mind.
Thinking a few steps ahead is one thing; actually working out the details of fitment is more effort. If the hardpoints are carryover, not such a big deal, but I'm holding onto the hope that there's a revised chassis and enough change in content (and lessons learned) to dictate a non-trivial reworking.

After further consideration, please shoot the messenger (the GM rep). We don't need to be teased by thoughts of a 427 C7. That's just mean, man.

.Jinx

Quick Reply: Don't shoot the messenger - GM Rep at show said . . .