C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?

Will it be AWD? Lighter weight? 700 hp? What will you need to see to entice you to want one badly?

For me, it is AWD. I don't really need more hp, just to be able to hook up what I have.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Simply, that it's a new Corvette; new body, new interior, and updated electronics. If all else is the same as a C6, a new look will still sell well.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

When they make one that outperforms my C6s then they'll have my attention.

Assuming it's an otherwise attractive machine. My Dad advised us boys to never marry an ugly woman, as it "will just wear a man down." Followed that advice with selection of my better half, and try to do the same with my sports cars.

So - better performance and good looks.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Given that there will be no one thing that will be a game changer - no AWD, no 500hp base model, no mid engine etc, it will take a combination of features, not one thing.

The interior needs to be killer, with a true audiophile sound system available, up do date nav, ventilated seats etc. The base engine needs 460-470hp with about 28mpg on the highway, and it needs exterior styling that is not just another update of the C5/C6 evolution.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I predict C7 won't have a single big new capability that will drive sales. I predict some sales will be driven by styling, some by performance, some by technology, some by luxury, but most by a combination of factors. Corvette will improve by balance, not by extreme.

But to try to address the spirit of the question, I think the interior technology and construction will be the area of greatest improvement and the area GM hits hardest in their rollout. But this is just a guess. We know so little; engine or chassis tech may turn out to be more bragworthy.

I also predict BlueOx will be far more disappointed by GM in January than he is today.

.Jinx
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
I predict C7 won't have a single big new capability that will drive sales. I predict some sales will be driven by styling, some by performance, some by technology, some by luxury, but most by a combination of factors. Corvette will improve by balance, not by extreme.

But to try to address the spirit of the question, I think the interior technology and construction will be the area of greatest improvement and the area GM hits hardest in their rollout. But this is just a guess. We know so little; engine or chassis tech may turn out to be more bragworthy.

I also predict BlueOx will be far more disappointed by GM in January than he is today.

.Jinx
So you think the improved interior will sell more? Hmmm, guess we will see.

If it stays the way it is now, I certainly will be more disappointed in January. I also think I will be even more disappointed with sales in October, if they stay as flat as they have been for 4 years.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

.Jinx
The electronics will be the easiest to improve. They are ancient by todays standards currently. If the car is putting out the same hp as a mustang gt the car wont sell. Chevy needs to see the writing on the wall here.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

If it looks close to this I'm in:

Last edited by Flex182; 06-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Maybe it will be the logo...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flex182
I could live with something in that neighborhood...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So you think the improved interior will sell more? Hmmm, guess we will see.
I don't know that we'll see. We can make some guesses based on what the press writes or what an unscientific sample says in C7 General Discussion when people start posting about their actual buying decisions, but we won't really see without a good market study. I doubt we'll be privy to that.

I also think I will be even more disappointed with sales in October, if they stay as flat as they have been for 4 years.
You keep saying this, but it's a misstatement. Sales have not been flat for four years. Sales four years ago (May 2008) were running at a significantly higher rate. Sales in 2008 were off from 2007 overall, except August 2008 which was a huge month, but it wasn't really until November 2008 that sales fell to a 12K-13K annual rate.

So it's been three and a half years. You'll have your four years in November -- don't rush it.

.Jinx
When did the economy hit the dumpster again? I forget.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I don't know that we'll see. We can make some guesses based on what the press writes or what an unscientific sample says in C7 General Discussion when people start posting about their actual buying decisions, but we won't really see without a good market study. I doubt we'll be privy to that.

You keep saying this, but it's a misstatement. Sales have not been flat for four years. Sales four years ago (May 2008) were running at a significantly higher rate. Sales in 2008 were off from 2007 overall, except August 2008 which was a huge month, but it wasn't really until November 2008 that sales fell to a 12K-13K annual rate.

So it's been three and a half years. You'll have your four years in November -- don't rush it.

.Jinx
When did the economy hit the dumpster again? I forget.
The economy again? Please.
Just so back to the Isuzu forum.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The economy again?
I usually hate contributing to off-topic discussions. I will probably regret this, but...

The economy is the one and only driving force behind the Corvette sales that you call "flat". It is the entire reason that some people can no longer afford to own a 50k car, period.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flex182

That Ferrari is gorgeous, but I think the C7 will be an edgier design.

And in my opinion, for potential buyers, the exterior styling will be the single most persuasive attribute of the car.

Most folks rarely use all the performance capabilities of their car every time they drive it. But, the styling is there 100% of the time.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by redvette77
I usually hate contributing to off-topic discussions. I will probably regret this, but...

The economy is the one and only driving force behind the Corvette sales that you call "flat". It is the entire reason that some people can no longer afford to own a 50k car, period.
"Some" being the operative word. Lots of folks have MORE disposable income.
Flat sales is flat sales. No significant increase or decrease is 'flat'.

Last edited by BlueOx; 06-05-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

The economy again? Please.
Just so back to the Isuzu forum.
But when I'm there I can't say "my other car has better seats" like I can here.

I'm betting when I get a C7 I won't be able to say that here anymore. But I'm not confident enough to call it the single big new thing that will drive sales.

.Jinx
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

"Some" being the operative word. Lots of folks have MORE disposable income.
Flat sales is flat sales. No significant increase or decrease is 'flat'.
You are an absolutely exhausting individual. I'm done.

Get notified of new replies

To What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

I am not a fan of that Ferrari's looks.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

For me, it is AWD. I don't really need more hp, just to be able to hook up what I have.
Unless they can do it without adding more than 50 pounds, if it gets AWD you WILL actually need more horsepower as well, if you expect the car to be as quick/fast as a base C6 is now that is.
Yes, traction is key to acceleration, but so is power-to-weight ratio.
I'll happily accept/embrace an AWD Corvette as long as it doesn't add excessive weight and/or it gets enough of a power increase to more than overcome/justify it's added weight increase.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 AM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could live with something in that neighborhood...
I have a feeling the C7 ZR1 will look something like this Ferrari or maybe even better?? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Quick Reply: What will be the single big new capability of the C7 that will drive sales?