Sponsored by:

New digital dash, ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
I'm perfectly happy with the gauge layout on our C6 except for the HUD. The graphics there are pre Pong and would make Commodore Vic 20 graphics look wonderful by comparison.
I liken the current HUD graphics to Atari. Take a look at BMW's 3D color HUD. That should be the C7's starting point.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm perfectly happy with the gauge layout on our C6 except for the HUD. The graphics there are pre Pong and would make Commodore Vic 20 graphics look wonderful by comparison.
The HUD in the Cadillac XTS is beautiful. If they use something similar in the vette, you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Does the XTS HUD appear to hover out over the hood? Having the gauges out there instead of in close means less eyestrain and faster reads for most people who can afford these cars
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Does the XTS HUD appear to hover out over the hood? Having the gauges out there instead of in close means less eyestrain and faster reads for most people who can afford these cars
Also, can the dash lighting of the XTS be turned of completely while using just the HUD?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Computer Screen

Basically what you have with the XTS dash is a computer screen. The gauges can be just as realistic as they want them to be. Done well, you won't be able to tell them from the real thing and could be configured any way you want. Wouldn't want to give you everything at once. They will hold back and give improvements over several years.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Basically what you have with the XTS dash is a computer screen. The gauges can be just as realistic as they want them to be. Done well, you won't be able to tell them from the real thing and could be configured any way you want.
True, look at quality of the graphics of the latest/current video games, sometimes it can be really difficult to tell the virtual stuff from the real thing.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 AM
proxemics
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

digital dash like the cadillac is the way to go ,so many are attached to waht they have don't want new front or rear don't want new engine don't want new interior blah blah ....
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Cool. I like it.
Me too
The 4 choices are kinda like our HUD where you scroll through the different choices, ie: performance, street, G meter and
so on.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Electronics change very fast compared to automotive tech. Whatever they do with the C7 dash & multipurpose screen, the engineers need to plan on a mid-life C7 electronics refresh. It's unavoidable, as cool as the C7 electronics will look to us in 2014, by 2021 it will appear old & dated.

Cheers,
JB
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Electronics change very fast compared to automotive tech. Whatever they do with the C7 dash & multipurpose screen, the engineers need to plan on a mid-life C7 electronics refresh. It's unavoidable, as cool as the C7 electronics will look to us in 2014, by 2021 it will appear old & dated.

Cheers,
JB
A man looking to the future. Maybe by then, the holographic 3-D digital dash will be available.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers,
JB
They could keep up the software up to date by using a usb.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
They could keep up the software up to date by using a usb.
LOL...

I updated the maps to 2012 on my HDD navigation (my Z) and the 4 discs took nearly 3 hours to complete.

I would hope any kind of digital system that took updates directly from the customer would be easy and quick. USB =
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
LOL...

I updated the maps to 2012 on my HDD navigation (my Z) and the 4 discs took nearly 3 hours to complete.
Yeah that's ancient technology. The new Cadillac Cue system will be using a usb to update the software and then in future wifi in the car.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Yeah that's ancient technology. The new Cadillac Cue system will be using a usb to update the software and then in future wifi in the car.
That's what I'M talking about !
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM
DarkKnight Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an eco-friendly guy LOL
But in the mall they opened a new Tesla store (yes in the mall believe it or not) so I strolled in while my girl was shopping for makeup. I sat in the car and that computer was pretty damn crazy. It has wi-fi and 4g and you can surf the internet, get the weather forecast, has google maps for nav...it was really cool. Only beef I had were there were no actual buttons for AC or to turn up the volume, etc. Everything was on the computer screen. In a performance car, you need these buttons at your disposal because you're supposed to be focused on the road, not trying to navigate through computer screens.

I think GM should find a nice blend. New technology but still make it easy for those who just want to change radio stations and adjust their AC manually. Mercedes did a nice job with this, even though I'm not crazy about their Nav system. I do like how they left the important things as buttons and **** and the rest is in the computer. Porsche seems to do this well also as well as Audi/Lamborghini.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DarkKnight Z
I am not an eco-friendly guy LOL
But in the mall they opened a new Tesla store (yes in the mall believe it or not) so I strolled in while my girl was shopping for makeup. I sat in the car and that computer was pretty damn crazy. It has wi-fi and 4g and you can surf the internet, get the weather forecast, has google maps for nav...it was really cool. Only beef I had were there were no actual buttons for AC or to turn up the volume, etc. Everything was on the computer screen. In a performance car, you need these buttons at your disposal because you're supposed to be focused on the road, not trying to navigate through computer screens.

I think GM should find a nice blend. New technology but still make it easy for those who just want to change radio stations and adjust their AC manually. Mercedes did a nice job with this, even though I'm not crazy about their Nav system. I do like how they left the important things as buttons and **** and the rest is in the computer. Porsche seems to do this well also as well as Audi/Lamborghini.
A good point.

Certainly, though, once you set up your "CUE" the way you want it, the preset buttons (for example) would already be on the screen and hopefully one wouldn't have to shuffle down a menu to get to them.

Also, remember (I'm assuming) there are likely to be analog controls like that on the steering wheel as well as the face of a digital display.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see some gauges like the 100% digital cadillac youtube video.

Only if they make the thing an organic LED - so that you don't have that back light bleed through. If anyone has a Galaxy Nexus phone you KNOW how much clearer/crisp/vibrant things are on OLED's

Get notified of new replies

To New digital dash, ugh!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 PM
UE Triplefi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
i like the porsche / madza design. what i hope we don't get is something like honda's fail of a cluster in the s2000. i remember driving one of these and thinking: gee this is a fun little car and gawd, this cluster is making me rage

That s2000 dash takes cues from Honda Racing... be it in CART/Indy and Formula One.

Everything about s2000 = Honda racing heritage and know-how... from the dash, the engine, chassis/steering response.

Honda crew designed the ideal sports car interior. Controls are placed where you can use them instinctively.Instruments are designed so you can read them instantly in front of your finger tip
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UE Triplefi
That s2000 dash takes cues from Honda Racing... be it in CART/Indy and Formula One.

Everything about s2000 = Honda racing heritage and know-how... from the dash, the engine, chassis/steering response.

Honda crew designed the ideal sports car interior. Controls are placed where you can use them instinctively.Instruments are designed so you can read them instantly in front of your finger tip
The other day we had one of those on the dyno with a "simple" turbo Kit... stock engine... pump gas... 606whp with some meth... not bad... Not bad at all.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think S2000 is bad at all. Strangely enough, I think the last gen Civic SI has one of the most "focused" gauge cluster(s) around. Speed up and right in line of sight, tach large and centered. Put some analog gauges on either side of the tach and it would look great in a vette.

Then again, with HUD, the speedometer mounted so high up is kind of redundent. Nice non the less.

Quick Reply: New digital dash, ugh!