Sponsored by:

New c4 info??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I believe some of his statements as facts but the 2+2 config I will have to see to believe.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
I don't believe the 2+2 rumor for a second. Why? It's too risky and too costly to develop. I have nothing but anecdotal information to go by, but GM is very likely to lose a lot more traditional and loyal Corvette enthusiasts than it is to attract a new market by making this dramatic change. My recollection is that the mean income for a Porsche 991 owner is in excess of $300K a year. I don't see many of this group being interested in buying a Chevy product since they are driven as much by perceived brand prestige as by performance.

Corvette owners on the other hand are by and large hard core car enthusiasts who value performance and style above all else. Of course there are exceptions to my characterizations since there are some people who own both brands, but IMO they are the exception to the rule. I just don't see doctors, lawyers, and Wall Streeters buying a Chevy product. If you haven't had the opportunity, test drive a Porsche 991. It is more GT car than sports car, but I expect that Porsche's marketing surveys indicate that this is exactly the type of car that their customers crave.
and very well said.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since nothing else really needs to be said on this thread, I'll just say this.

I dunno what car SUN_PSD has that his back seats are only 6lb combined, but I'd love to know. I think someone needs a new scale...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I dunno what car SUN_PSD has that his back seats are only 6lb combined, but I'd love to know. I think someone needs a new scale...
Sorry. I pulled that number out of my clearly very foggy memory banks. So I tracked down the actual numbers for the benefit of the forum.

The car I have is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track w/ rather large leather seats. Comfortable enough for grown men for a short period of time as long as the person in the front seat doesn't need massive leg room. Dramatically larger than say the seats in a 911 Turbo which aren't anything more than 2 seat bases and 2 seat backs screwed to the rear carpeting.

Here are the actual numbers from my car:

Rear seat bottom = 11.2 lbs
Rear seat back = 17.8 lbs
Rear seat buckles = .6 lbs ea
Brackets & hardware = 4.5 lbs
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

This announcement that the C7 is a completely new car designed on a "clean slate" so to speak means one of two things. Either this car will blow everyone's mind or it will be a major glimpse at what could have been but wasn't.

My interest is truly pegged and I'm waiting to say "Damn fine car!"

Finger crossed...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmmm..... I didn't get it for performance. Always like the look, and and was really happy the MPG beat out my tuned V6 Pony. Then thirdly is the performance...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thompyt
Hmmm..... I didn't get it for performance. Always liked the look
funny i felt the same way. after i did the suspension in my 07 miata and did new rims and tires(these pics were before pics) the car handled phenomenal(but it was pretty good before)but just didn't have the power i so deemed necessary. so i bought a new vette purely on looks fully knowing the power would be there but was concerned about the handling. this is my third vette(2c'3s). the looks and power are stunning but the handling (even after i upgraded with the JOC STAGE ONE) is good but not where i thought it would be. all n all the vette is a real head turner and thats why i bought it.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I have $100 versus your $100 to go to our respective favorite real charity that your statements will not come to pass in the first year of the C7. I am confident, are you?
Chevyc4man, please send a $100 check to Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
chevyc4man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevyc4man, please send a $100 check to Ronald McDonald House Charities.
I think you made that bet with yourself
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevyc4man
I think you made that bet with yourself
I realize you never accept and made excuses that this is information you were given. Feel to go and punch your friend in the nads. The rest of his information will fail as well. And then punch each time his "inside" information fails to deliver. This would only prolong his agony. You could wait till all of it is proven wrong on January 13 and punch him once for each failed piece of information. Or just go light and punch him once for the whole failure.

Have you confronted him on his failure yet? What did he say?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM
chevyc4man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize you never accept and made excuses that this is information you were given. Feel to go and punch your friend in the nads. The rest of his information will fail as well. And then punch each time his "inside" information fails to deliver. This would only prolong his agony. You could wait till all of it is proven wrong on January 13 and punch him once for each failed piece of information. Or just go light and punch him once for the whole failure.

Have you confronted him on his failure yet? What did he say?
I have not read the entire press release. Isit the hp numbers you are talking about? Honestly though besides the trickle of info from Chevy it is all rumor and speculation. I never claimed this was defacto info.
I was going to post some new pics of a kid getting out of the backseat of a test mule car, but I guess I'll hold off for now as it will just be mocked.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I have not read the entire press release. Isit the hp numbers you are talking about? Honestly though besides the trickle of info from Chevy it is all rumor and speculation. I never claimed this was defacto info.
I was going to post some new pics of a kid getting out of the backseat of a test mule car, but I guess I'll hold off for now as it will just be mocked.
Hello chevyc4man, I am 52 and have owned a boatload of performance cars and I spend an average of 2 hours a day reading about cars, the industry, etc.

Those paragraphs that you originally posted were entirely believable in every aspect. GM has very seriously considered every item that was mentioned.
5 other companies make very small DOHC motors that would fit under
the hood of a C7 , and produce cars smaller in size than the C7 but.
have rear seating. Let's not forget DCTs , etc.

It is a shame that very few of us here have confidence that GM was
capable of producing a car like that at any price point.
One of the most frustrating scenarios on CF is when there is a poster that actually has a factual basis for his opinion but rather than state that, he would rather just call you an idiot for not knowing what he knows.

It is even more shameful that these so called "car lovers" around here would rather " kick your ***" than just calmly enjoy a great debate on the coolest subject around.

Last edited by John T; 10-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

From you:

"Base C7 Coupe/Convertible: 6.2L DOHC, VVT, V8 530hp"

The HP? please no I would give you a pass on that. We don't have the final number on that and it could be a little to a lot more than the 450 state. It's the DOHC. We already knew it was getting the Gen V engine, We had already, seen pictures of the Gen V enigine and knew it was not DOHC. We had seen pictures of the mule and a DOHC wouldn't under the hood. We know this because they had already done that with the XLR and the had to raise the cowl and the hood for it to fit. None of that was on any of the mules or pre-production test cars.

Well will see if the 2+2 plays out. So far none of the test cars show any evidence of rear seats, and we have shots through the back hatch. Maybe they were folded down.

If you have a picture of kid getting out of a rear seat of a test car you should sell it to Priddy or someone as it would pull more money than any of the shots so far, as that would be HUGE news to verify. Now, not just a kid getting out of the back of a Corvette test car. Heck we had 4 high school guys in a Opel GT with all our pads in duffles and there was no back seat. We need to see the seat.

I would love to see them produce a DCT.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John T
Hello chevyc4man, I am 52 and have owned a boatload of performance cars and I spend an average of 2 hours a day reading about cars, the industry, etc.

Those paragraphs that you originally posted were entirely believable in every aspect. GM has very seriously considered every item that was mentioned.
5 other companies make very small DOHC motors that would fit under
the hood of a C7 , and produce cars smaller in size than the C7 but.
have rear seating. Let's not forget DCTs , etc.

It is a shame that very few of us here have confidence that GM was
capable of producing a car like that at any price point.
One of the most frustrating scenarios on CF is when there is a poster that actually has a factual basis for his opinion but rather than state that, he would rather just call you an idiot for not knowing what he knows.

It is even more shameful that these so called "car lovers" around here would rather " kick your ***" than just calmly enjoy a great debate on the coolest subject around.
The paragraphs were only believable people that were unfamiliar with information that had come out previously from GM, had not seen the pictures of mules in C6 clothing, had not seen pictures of the test cars in camo. People that were not familiar with the Gen V program. People that were not familiar with the 60 year history and tradition of the Corvette.

Heck I had people taking seriously that they were going to helium in the tires and frame for better performance. That they were going to have an Aluminum Titanium Helium alloy frame.

So yes, every single item on the list is believable that GM could put in a car. They are clearly conceivable on a stand alone basis. However, when put together, and in context with the known facts, and the visual evidence, they did not stand up.

On top of it 2 more people put up the same exact wording in two other threads weeks after this, so the false information is spreading. I do not know the source of this information. It is not clear if this "Corvette insider) is a friend or acquaintance of the OP or not. But clearly the information has been posted to web other than here because surely someone would not copy it from this thread and claim it as their own in other threads on the same forum...... OK knowing some people on the web, I guess they could.

The seats may come close. We have seen pictures and there some similarities. They do have pass throughs for 4 or 5 point harnesses.

I never said I wanted to "kick your ***" to the OP and I haven't seen anyone do it. So don't make things up. I said he might want to punch his contact in the nads. Friends don't let friends post false information on the net on purpose. It wasn't posted as speculation, it was posted as fact from a "Corvette insider". His contact did him wrong. If he wants to hug for that, I am OK with that too.

There has already been plenty of fact based explanations of why the information would not prove out. About this information and many others. And yet people who were directly involved in those conversations continue to be in denial in the face of facts and observations of test cars.

Feel how you want, it is a free country (mostly).
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

From you:

"Base C7 Coupe/Convertible: 6.2L DOHC, VVT, V8 530hp"

The HP? please no I would give you a pass on that. We don't have the final number on that and it could be a little to a lot more than the 450 state. It's the DOHC. We already knew it was getting the Gen V engine, We had already, seen pictures of the Gen V enigine and knew it was not DOHC. We had seen pictures of the mule and a DOHC wouldn't under the hood. We know this because they had already done that with the XLR and the had to raise the cowl and the hood for it to fit. None of that was on any of the mules or pre-production test cars.

Well will see if the 2+2 plays out. So far none of the test cars show any evidence of rear seats, and we have shots through the back hatch. Maybe they were folded down.

If you have a picture of kid getting out of a rear seat of a test car you should sell it to Priddy or someone as it would pull more money than any of the shots so far, as that would be HUGE news to verify. Now, not just a kid getting out of the back of a Corvette test car. Heck we had 4 high school guys in a Opel GT with all our pads in duffles and there was no back seat. We need to see the seat.

I would love to see them produce a DCT.
Hello Racer, I get the impression that chevyc4man was passing this info along, it was given to him and that is all. I still say that it was written so effectively it could draw you in . It did me.
As for chevyc4man's "kid getting out of back seat photo" is just a negative knee-jerk response to being picked on by the forum ( my opinion ).

Also, as I have mentioned before here, I spoke to a very high volume GM dealer ( I have my C7 order with him) , I pushed him hard on the extra seat thing and he said no. In the past when I have asked about certain things he would just not answer rather than not tell the truth.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far all the 'discussion' about the potentials all seem to center on the first friggen year spy shots of the C7 when we all know that many of these changes, additions, options, different models, won't happen for years. We haven't even seen the full blown 1st year car yet. Geez...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

The paragraphs were only believable people that were unfamiliar with information that had come out previously from GM, had not seen the pictures of mules in C6 clothing, had not seen pictures of the test cars in camo. People that were not familiar with the Gen V program. People that were not familiar with the 60 year history and tradition of the Corvette.

Heck I had people taking seriously that they were going to helium in the tires and frame for better performance. That they were going to have an Aluminum Titanium Helium alloy frame.So yes, every single item on the list is believable that GM could put in a car. They are clearly conceivable on a stand alone basis. However, when put together, and in context with the known facts, and the visual evidence, they did not stand up.

On top of it 2 more people put up the same exact wording in two other threads weeks after this, so the false information is spreading. I do not know the source of this information. It is not clear if this "Corvette insider) is a friend or acquaintance of the OP or not. But clearly the information has been posted to web other than here because surely someone would not copy it from this thread and claim it as their own in other threads on the same forum...... OK knowing some people on the web, I guess they could.

The seats may come close. We have seen pictures and there some similarities. They do have pass throughs for 4 or 5 point harnesses.

I never said I wanted to "kick your ***" to the OP and I haven't seen anyone do it. So don't make things up. I said he might want to punch his contact in the nads. Friends don't let friends post false information on the net on purpose. It wasn't posted as speculation, it was posted as fact from a "Corvette insider". His contact did him wrong. If he wants to hug for that, I am OK with that too.

There has already been plenty of fact based explanations of why the information would not prove out. About this information and many others. And yet people who were directly involved in those conversations continue to be in denial in the face of facts and observations of test cars.

Feel how you want, it is a free country (mostly).
That was funny, cant beleive they feel for it, maybe Mickey Mouse might get a car that way.

Quick Reply: New c4 info??