Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trinity Animation's C7 - new C5/C6 comparisons and color variation images

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Not bad but not blowing me away like the C6 did when I first saw one on that flat bed...
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

after seeing this render next to a C5 and a C6, this looks like ****. Sorry, you did a great job in your work, its the car im talking about here though. I hope it looks better in person. The C5 and C6 are beautiful cars with gorgeous flowing lines. This one - not so much.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are terrific, and look awesome! If the real thing looks like these, GM will have done a great job on the evolution of their halo car! Keep these renderings coming- its all we have until actual photos bow! Fun stuff.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks just awesome. I agree with one other poster ... The C6 looks really dated compared to this. And sorry to say, I love the rear. Looks mean (this comming from a traditionalist). I would love to see this one next to my chrome bumper C3 ;-)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont know if its just me, or if the renderings are different than the jalopnik pic, i haven't compared them side by side or anything

but when i saw that video a week or so ago,and these pics....damnit does the car look different and sexy...looks a lot more exotic/italian which I love. Love the front end and the wider hips (although they could have done an even better job imo) and i still hate the back end it doesn't flow with the rest of the car at all

but when i saw that video and these im like WOW with a smile on my face after looking at the jalopnik pics a million times...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Wow it's getting to be time for another real spy shot. This is getting pretty wild as the renderings are getting better and better and we are arguing about things we are not sure exist like exact shapes, seam lines etc. At any rate I am going to be disappointed if the C7 does NOT look like this as I have gotten so used to it, my beloved ZO6 is starting to look old and tired even though I only have 6000 miles on her. I am loving this new concept though and am thrilled that there is a fairly good possibility of ditching the age old and dated ideas of the bubble rear hatch, the big old ugly round or oval taillights, targa top, and other overly used ideas. I'm looking forward.

Last edited by Frankie2blue; 09-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

I can just see the press release now! "GM announced today that in an effort to cut costs, engineers and designers for the upcoming C7 Corvette were told to just use the rear of the lower model Camaro on the rear of the new Corvette! Just think of the man hours and effort we have eliminated by doing this! The Camaro is selling so good that we thought Corvette owners and future Corvette buyers would just be "In Awe" we they saw the tail-end of Chevrolet's high-selling Camaro model on the Corvette too!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim_Lammers

They are all 3+ megapixels so you can view them pretty closely if you want to. Here are a few samples:

thanks

Jim
No disrespect intended. But most of you really think the C7 as pictured is a better design than the C6? Maybe you should add a few more cutouts, scoops and disjointed lines to make it even more modern and edgy? From this view it looks like a Datsun 240Z that was customized with a JCWitney catalog.

The C7 won't be a car that ages well and the aerodynamics can't be all that great.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

The proportions seem a bit off on the render. I think the front corners aren't supposed to bulge out so much and something seems wrong about the way the rear fascia flows into the hatch.

Honestly, I just see a rectangle when I look at the render. Also, I think the front fascia is supposed to be lower to the ground.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
The proportions seem a bit off on the render. I think the front corners aren't supposed to bulge out so much and something seems wrong about the way the rear fascia flows into the hatch.

Honestly, I just see a rectangle when I look at the render. Also, I think the front fascia is supposed to be lower to the ground.
It is actually similar to looking at an animated woman...Kinda hard to feel anything
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
No disrespect intended. But most of you really think the C7 as pictured is a better design than the C6? Maybe you should add a few more cutouts, scoops and disjointed lines to make it even more modern and edgy? From this view it looks like a Datsun 240Z that was customized with a JCWitney catalog.

The C7 won't be a car that ages well and the aerodynamics can't be all that great.
I haven't heard anyone say it is a better design than the C6, just different. Remember, we haven't seen the final in any way, shape or form. So far, it looks like it has fewer cutouts, scoops, etc. than the Z06.

Considering how much aero means to the Vette Racing team, I'll bet it is as good if not better than the C6.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Jim, OP: I know this might seem silly to do but I was wondering if you could take your C7 rear end rendering & place a copy of it side by side but on the the second one render in some taillight that is like a C5 or C6, twin round tail light. The reason for the request is a bunch of us are pro-round tail light & certain it does not look good with the "Camaro" taillights. I want to see if it looks better than the "new" style. Maybe, just maybe the round older round taillights do not compliment the new bodystyle & GM made the right choice. Anyways, it seems like a fun thing for us to talk about as we wait for the photos of the C7 to appear.

Thanks again for the great job on the renderings. I know it is time consuming.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Badluck33
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I haven't heard anyone say it is a better design than the C6, just different. Remember, we haven't seen the final in any way, shape or form. So far, it looks like it has fewer cutouts, scoops, etc. than the Z06.

Considering how much aero means to the Vette Racing team, I'll bet it is as good if not better than the C6.

I strongly agree with this....
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by John T

The new Camaro is the only thing that scares me. The door/rear quarter junction is a deal breaker for me and I think it is just bad design, In most colors, it looks like the quarter panel is a different shade than the door. The quarter panel needed to be on the same plane as the door for maybe an inch before it flared out. Just bad design.
Glad to know I am not the only person that has noticed that. Some of the really bright colors like Inferno Orange particularly have the effect of looking like the body panels are slightly off.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Glad to know I am not the only person that has noticed that. Some of the really bright colors like Inferno Orange particularly have the effect of looking like the body panels are slightly off.
Thanks Anti, I worked in a body shop so stuff like that gets me crazy!

If the Camaro was a little smaller and tighter and without that door/quarter problem I would be in love.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM
WHT
Drifting

Probably not. Every raised surface, lip, edge, cutout and scoop detracts from the aerodynamics. For example, the Coefficient-of-Drag of a base C6 is 0.28 and the Z06 is 0.34. The C7 will absolutely have a higher Cd than the C6 if the drawings are correct.

And, the design used by Corvette Racing will only have styling cues that look vaguely similar to the street C7.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by WHT
Probably not. Every raised surface, lip, edge, cutout and scoop detracts from the aerodynamics. For example, the Coefficient-of-Drag of a base C6 is 0.28 and the Z06 is 0.34. The C7 will absolutely have a higher Cd than the C6 if the drawings are correct.

And, the design used by Corvette Racing will only have styling cues that look vaguely similar to the street C7.
The Corvette racing team had a major impact on the design of the C6 base and Z06, including extensive aero design and wind tunnel testing. Do you think they aren't going to be as involved this time?

They take this stuff pretty seriously and I doubt they would go backward, all else being equal. Here is how Tom Peters viewed it for the C6 design...

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trinity Animation's C7 - new C5/C6 comparisons and color variation images

Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM
WHT
Drifting

The Corvette racing team had a major impact on the design of the C6 base and Z06, including extensive aero design and wind tunnel testing. Do you think they aren't going to be as involved this time? They take this stuff pretty seriously and I doubt they would go backward.
The C7 is more of a styling exercise (trying to be modern and edgy to attract younger buyers) than an engineering exercise from my perspective.

Corvette Racing is only interested in the major C7 design elements (height, width, length, wheelbase, track, etc) and NOT the surface features of the C7. Why do you think the C6 Z06 had a poorer Cd than the base car if Corvette Racing was interested (and involved) in street performance? They will design the surface of their race car (primary aerodynamics) as needed to win races without appreciable influence from the street cars.

Again, looking at your last edit. Please explain to me why the C6 Z06 has MUCH worse aerodynamics than the base car if you really believe that quote?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by WHT
The C7 is more of a styling exercise (trying to be modern and edgy to attract younger buyers) than an engineering exercise from my perspective.

Corvette Racing is only interested in the major C7 design elements (height, width, length, wheelbase, track, etc) and NOT the surface features of the C7. Why do you think the C6 Z06 had a poorer Cd than the base car if Corvette Racing was interested (and involved) in street performance? They will design the surface of their race car (primary aerodynamics) as needed to win races without appreciable influence from the street cars.

Again, looking at your last edit. Please explain to me why the C6 Z06 has MUCH worse aerodynamics than the base car if you really believe that quote?
You are wrong about the styling exercise bit. Look closely at the surfaces and tell me what specifically gives the C7 we have seen so far much less aero efficiency than the C6?

Downforce. A major requirement in a race car. Why do you think all ALMS cars have wider bodies and wings?

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:15 PM
WHT
Drifting

You are wrong about the styling exercise bit. Look closely at the surfaces and tell me what specifically gives the C7 we have seen so far much less aero efficiency than the C6?

Downforce. A major requirement in a race car. Why do you think all ALMS cars have wider bodies and wings?
Whatever. It isn't worth the effort.

Quick Reply: Trinity Animation's C7 - new C5/C6 comparisons and color variation images