Sponsored by:

There is NO way the C7 is not finalized

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default There is NO way the C7 is not finalized

I am sick and tired of all these so called spy photos, there is no way GM has not finalized the C7, the plan is closed as we speak for retooling, that means that ones the new equipment is in place they will start production, slow pace but production no the less. We all know that there is tons of parts not build by GM these parts have to be built and shipped there, whoever is making these parts has to have orders in place, how many, specs etc that takes month to do on it's own. The retooling is also not something that can change much, it's made for the new car, to handle the new engine or whatever, so again they are not retooling and then deciding on the shape of a fender or the location of a vent or whatever else, it's done like dinner.
As well at this stage it's too late the new viper is out why does it matter if someone sees it? OMG will Ferrari go back to the drawing board? or anybody else? not likely, I understand not showing sooner than they have to but I am guessing these cars will have to start coming out of the plant in early Nov they will not have a cloaking device on them I don't think.
Again this is just my opinion
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
I am sick and tired of all these so called spy photos, there is no way GM has not finalized the C7, the plan is closed as we speak for retooling, that means that ones the new equipment is in place they will start production, slow pace but production no the less. We all know that there is tons of parts not build by GM these parts have to be built and shipped there, whoever is making these parts has to have orders in place, how many, specs etc that takes month to do on it's own. The retooling is also not something that can change much, it's made for the new car, to handle the new engine or whatever, so again they are not retooling and then deciding on the shape of a fender or the location of a vent or whatever else, it's done like dinner.
As well at this stage it's too late the new viper is out why does it matter if someone sees it? OMG will Ferrari go back to the drawing board? or anybody else? not likely, I understand not showing sooner than they have to but I am guessing these cars will have to start coming out of the plant in early Nov they will not have a cloaking device on them I don't think.
First of all, the plant is not closed. They are, and will be, building the 2013 C6's until early 1st quarter, next year. Then the plant will be shut down. They are installing some equipment in the area where the old XLR's were built, but the assembly lines for the C6 chugs on as is the frame fab dept and pant line.

The start up on the 2014 C7 is not expected to happen until next spring/early summer.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

It appears the natives are becoming restless.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

there is no way GM has not finalized the C7
I agree...but umm, are there really that many people out there claiming that it isn't finalized?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Read up a bit on how the automotive industry operates, then reevaluate your position.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
Read up a bit on how the automotive industry operates, then reevaluate your position.
Perhaps you could suggest some titles to get started with. The only reading I've done on this type of stuff is "All Corvettes are Red." To me it seems the original poster is pretty much on target. His time line is a little off, but he is right that changing parts take time. Changes can be made, but its is big deal this close to the reveal and thus not likely. Of course I would enjoy reading more resources about how the automotive industry works so I can get a better picture.

To the OP... I think only a few people still expect the car to be different than the Jalopnik drawings. I've been told that I don't have a clue what the actual car will look like, but the camo pictures have a LOT of clues and they all point back to the Jalopnik car.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited by mitchydkid; 09-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Of course the C7 is finalized.

It's just the pictures that everyone is posting are not likely representing the finalized product.

Next!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u

It's just the pictures that everyone is posting are not likely representing the finalized product.

Next!!!
This post is exactly why we're all having so much fun arguing this.

I will see the final C7 and say: "Jalopnik got it pretty good."

You will say: "See, I told you, Jalopnik's take did not represent the final product."

Could we both be correct? It all depends on what the meaning of "is," is
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Perhaps you could suggest some titles to get started with. The only reading I've done on this type of stuff is "All Corvettes are Red." To me it seems the original poster is pretty much on target. His time line is a little off, but he is right that changing parts take time. Changes can be made, but its is big deal this close to the reveal and thus not likely. Of course I would enjoy reading more resources about how the automotive industry works so I can get a better picture.

To the OP... I think only a few people still expect the car to be different than the Jalopnik drawings. I've been told that I don't have a clue what the actual car will look like, but the camo pictures have a LOT of clues and they all point back to the Jalopnik car.

Thanks,
Dale

The C7 has been locked in for probably a year now. "All Corvettes are Red" is a great read. People will look back on this debate and realize they are being way too complicated and conspiracy-addled in what they think is happening during these final shakedowns.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"To those of you that are crying that the car is too much like the Jalopnik renderings, it’s time to get over it. The tidbits we caught coming out of the national Chevrolet dealer meetings this week in Las Vegas have pretty much confirmed that this is the design. It’s locked in and should be ready for the show circuit come January. "

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/...he-rumor-mill/
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I think GM has the car finished all except for the bugs, and tweaking of the body and I'm sure that there are at least 50 cars out testing.

The new car will grow on you, just like the c2,3,4,5, and 6 did.

I seriously don't know if I want another new corvette, I bought a new 2010 and I hated to drive it because I knew I was depreciating it every mile took my investment away.

Who knows when the corvette bug will bite me again.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I think GM has the car finished all except for the bugs, and tweaking of the body and I'm sure that there are at least 50 cars out testing.

I seriously don't know if I want another new corvette, I bought a new 2010 and I hated to drive it because I knew I was depreciating it every mile took my investment away.

Who knows when the corvette bug will bite me again.

The C1 did have to grow on me(took till the 56 to change my mind).
The C2 didn't have to grow on me.
The C3 didn't have to grow on me.
The C4 didn't have to grow on me(even though I never owned one).
The C5 didn't have to grow on me.
The C6 did have to grow on me(took till the Z06 to change my mind).

I'll wait and see what the C7 does to me. Not going to make up my mind now based on a bunch of renderings.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm not being critical of your view, but wish to offer my counter view.
I drive my 2008 Monday through Friday. I now have 50K miles on the car. This is not high mileage by most car standards, but for a Vette it might be high because it is a weekend/sunny day car for so many owners. But the way I see it, if I'm going to pay 50K+ for a car, I'm going to get some seat time. I don't look at my car as an "investment" because even if I put 0 miles on it, I KNOW it will only loose value during my lifetime. So the way i look at it is that the more miles I put on the car, the less each of those miles cost me, and that is a better ROI than watching the car dry rot in my car hole. (Simpson's ref.)

-D
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Using the words "investment" and "new corvette" in the same sentence New vehicles, of any kind, are not investments.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
shadoquad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C1 did have to grow on me(took till the 56 to change my mind).
The C2 didn't have to grow on me.
The C3 didn't have to grow on me.
The C4 didn't have to grow on me(even though I never owned one).
The C5 didn't have to grow on me.
The C6 did have to grow on me(took till the Z06 to change my mind).

I'll wait and see what the C7 does to me. Not going to make up my mind now based on a bunch of renderings.

Even if the C7 looks exactly like the renderings, I have to see it in person before I know if I love it or not. And the C6 took time to grow on me as well, so the C7 might, too.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u

Next!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Bob; not directly solely towards you, but I hear that a lot. History doesn't verify that often used sentence.

I was around to witness the birth of the C3, C4, C5, and C6; so the following is based on what I remember of the automotive press at the time, and car-guys comments about each new models introduction:

The C2 was instantly liked; it didn't need to grow on anyone. But back in those days - it was easy to create something unnlike what was already out there.

The C3 was an instant success. It didn't need to grow on anyone.

The C4 was also an instant success (in 1984; no need to cast an opinion on the C4 today ... in the 21st century). It was a technological leap; and was well received. The bland exterior styling was overlooked due to the technology gain.

The C5 was the first Corvette that needed to "grow" on the masses; mainly because it was a more radical change. It didn't take long to be liked though

The C6 never "grew" onto a lot of Corvette enthusiasts.

Get notified of new replies

To There is NO way the C7 is not finalized

Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

While "All Corvettes are Red" is a wonderful book and a great read, it should be pointed out that it was published in January 1997 (very nearly 3 corvette generations ago). To use the book as a reference point for what goes on now, 15 years later, is not realistic.

Jimmy
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Bob; not directly solely towards you, but I hear that a lot. History doesn't verify that often used sentence.

I was around to witness the birth of the C3, C4, C5, and C6; so the following is based on what I remember of the automotive press at the time, and car-guys comments about each new models introduction:

The C2 was instantly liked; it didn't need to grow on anyone. But back in those days - it was easy to create something unnlike what was already out there.

The C3 was an instant success. It didn't need to grow on anyone.

The C4 was also an instant success (in 1984; no need to cast an opinion on the C4 today ... in the 21st century). It was a technological leap; and was well received. The bland exterior styling was overlooked due to the technology gain.

The C5 was the first Corvette that needed to "grow" on the masses; mainly because it was a more radical change. It didn't take long to be liked though

The C6 never "grew" onto a lot of Corvette enthusiasts.
So, a good number of C6's were sold to new Corvette customers? Sorry, I find that VERY hard to believe based on the way the car sold, especially before the end of the financial world in November 2008.

Jimmy
Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So, a good number of C6's were sold to new Corvette customers? Sorry, I find that VERY hard to believe based on the way the car sold, especially before the end of the financial world in November 2008.

Jimmy
It took me 4 years and it was only because of the wide body design that I traded in my C5 for a Z06. I know people that drive C5's that still aren't sold on the C6's styling.

Quick Reply: There is NO way the C7 is not finalized