Sponsored by:

First Pictures Of The C7 Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Been waiting for this introduction...very nice. What a lot of folks don't understand is the styling is supposed to be similar to the XKE (X-Type) from the early 60s on up. Jag has done a good job capturing that mindset with the F Type.....long overdue 2 seater sports car. But, has nothing to do with Corvettes in my opinion; a whole different enthusiast market.
The XKE was the E-Type Jag, not the X-type. Furthermore, I guarantee the many who are in the market for a new sports car will consider both the F-Type Jag and the C7 Vette. They are both 2 seater ragtop sports cars, both have 8 cylinder engines (also a choice of a supercharged 6 in the Jag), both are very quick, both produce much torque, and both sound great. And the pricing will be very similar. Remember that all base Jags come very well optioned and offer few other options. If the Jag lists for the supposed $65K, I promise that many a prospective C7 buyer will also look at the Jag. Keep in mind that most prospective C7 buyers are not on this forum, use their cars for daily drivers, and are more concerned about styling, comfort, technology, and performance as opposed to only "can the car go from 0-60 in 4.0 versus 4.5!" I have owned 10 Vettes since 1991 (currently a 2010 GS vert) and when I get a new car next summer, I will absolutely consider the F-Type Jag along with the Boxster S (which I have test driven and with which was really impressed) and the C7.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:10 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

I will definitely consider the F-Type as well along with the new M3, Audi RS5 and C7. I already have a 'Vette and I'm keeping it so it's not set in stone that I buy another one for my new car, but I am hoping it blows me away. If not, there are definitely going to be other alternatives out there.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV
I think the House Wifes of Orange County will love it!
Watch it! You are calling BMadden a housewife
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
The XKE was the E-Type Jag, not the X-type. Furthermore, I guarantee the many who are in the market for a new sports car will consider both the F-Type Jag and the C7 Vette. They are both 2 seater ragtop sports cars, both have 8 cylinder engines (also a choice of a supercharged 6 in the Jag), both are very quick, both produce much torque, and both sound great. And the pricing will be very similar. Remember that all base Jags come very well optioned and offer few other options. If the Jag lists for the supposed $65K, I promise that many a prospective C7 buyer will also look at the Jag. Keep in mind that most prospective C7 buyers are not on this forum, use their cars for daily drivers, and are more concerned about styling, comfort, technology, and performance as opposed to only "can the car go from 0-60 in 4.0 versus 4.5!" I have owned 10 Vettes since 1991 (currently a 2010 GS vert) and when I get a new car next summer, I will absolutely consider the F-Type Jag along with the Boxster S (which I have test driven and with which was really impressed) and the C7.
I totally agree with your market analysis; but I am in that subgroup who wants their daily driver to be very fast, dependable, sturdy and somewhat rustproof, and cheap-(relatively)-to-repair. Sounds like the Vette. The others are more "statusy" and less practical, by a lot, in my book.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Watch it! You are calling BMadden a housewife
I have a Vette, an AMG Mercedes SL55 and an Infiniti G37s so I'm hardly concerned with what he(or anyone else for at matter) thinks about my car choices.

If I like the Jag better than the C7 I'll buy it, simple as that.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BMadden
I have a Vette, an AMG Mercedes SL55 and an Infiniti G37s so I'm hardly concerned with what he(or anyone else for at matter) thinks about my car choices.

If I like the Jag better than the C7 I'll buy it, simple as that.
Thank goodness -- did not want you to be upset with MikeV
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

ooops, mis-typed...yes, E-Type...I had a '63 Coupe with chrome wire wheels and Burgundy paint....amazing car to own at the time!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
An upscale Solstice? Seriously? You can criticize Jaguar for being overpriced or unreliable, but one area where they have nearly everyone beat is the looks department. I think the new F-type looks amazing and can only hope the C7 will look half as good.
I agree that it doesn't look like a Solstice...it does, however, look a lot like the previous generation Maserati Coupe (or whatever they called it).

Jimmy
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Living here in DC has really given me a strong dislike for much of the foriegn marques. I don't think I've ever seen so many fools with pricey status cars who drive like idiots. I swear, the more costly and symbolic the car, the worse the drivers. They can't drive worth snot and they act like YOU need to get out of THEIR way. Rude, arrogant, and mindless. I believe a lot of them are government employees who think they own the country anyway. That goes for the Escalade drivers too. Yep, the guys with the big chrome wheels and blacked out windows. I'll stick with my Vette and my Impala, I'm not trying to impress anyone with how utterly clueless or stoopid I am.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM
CMC1998
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a conversation with a car dealer Who has been in the business forever, and I brought up the new Jag F Type.. His comment was, "Never BUY a Jaguar,,,, only lease it."
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,562 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
...I'll stick with my Vette and my Impala, I'm not trying to impress anyone with how utterly clueless or stoopid I am.
Uh, I believe you misspelled "stupid".
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

New F-Type Jaguar base price $69,000+
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some photos from the Paris Motor Show.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM
01vetteC5
Instructor

Its a nice little car but its no Corvette--
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 01vetteC5
Its a nice little car but its no Corvette--
It is possible that the C7 and the F-Type might share the same 8 speed ZF transmission .
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Guibo
Some photos from the Paris Motor Show.

I have to admit- that's a sexy looking car.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

The pics above are the best I have seen of the F -Type . It is not as sleek as I was expecting but you have to see the car on the road before any final judgements.

Get notified of new replies

To First Pictures Of The C7 Competition

Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it too! I couldn't buy a Jag tho...they have trouble on Dead Man's Curve!

BTW, what the heck are those light-colored hoses to the right of the trunk opening? Wire covering? Trunk looks like it is shaped to fit ONE golf bag.

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

That's a great looking car. Jaguar reliability has quietly improved over the last 10 years. They are not the Land Rover-esque nightmares they were back in the early 2000s. Also, the halo model, at least for now, comes with 495 hp. Granted it'll be over 100k, but you're paying for the badge, leather that is more cow than plastic, and a dealership experience that doesn't involve encountering anyone who over occupied Wall Street getting oil changed on their Cruze/Sonic/Spark.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

I think they said it will be priced from $75K for the convertible so probably $69K for the coupe.

The car is gorgeous and the interior stunning!! The only problem I see is that the base engines are 340HP or 380HP. I have a feeling the 380HP will be for the U.S market but I still think that's a little too low. I would have liked them to at least start it out at 400HP. But that S with 495HP is going to be real special and I can't wait to see the R version. I'm guessing 550HP minimum.

And I think this car (and the Corvette) is going to be more of a 911 competitor than a Boxster. It is almost the same size and actually 5" wider. Jag's have always had a better price advantage compared to a Porsche and other German cars so I think the $10K cheaper price might fool some into thinking it's a lesser car. IMO, it looks a 100x better than a 911 and it's interior will Pi$$ on any $80K 911 (even a $100K 911).

Quick Reply: First Pictures Of The C7 Competition