Sponsored by:

A "427" c7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Well, as a former owner of an LS7/Z06, if the LS7 comes in the C7 as the base engine, I won't be buying one. To many issues starting to crop up in the LS7. Now, assuming the 5.5 or 5.1 is the base engine, then I would be interested.
You mean a batch of cars with issues over a finite span of model years for the Z06. What's the most recent m/y Z06 to have an issue? 2010? 2011? It's a bummer for those car owners, with a QC issue for some of the heads built over those years, but the LS7 is still an awesome engine overall.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
You mean a batch of cars with issues over a finite span of model years for the Z06. What's the most recent m/y Z06 to have an issue? 2010? 2011? It's a bummer for those car owners, with a QC issue for some of the heads built over those years, but the LS7 is still an awesome engine overall.
The LS7, as designed, IS an awesome engine overall. Problem is, there are some issues. As to failures, IIRC the latest was a 10 or 11 model year, not sure which. After watching this problem grow over the last two years or so, I have come to MY conclusion that the LS7, as produced (Not designed) has some issues.

And the valve issues aren't the only thing. This car had oiling issues, fixed, it has clutch issues. Probably a few others though not substantial in number.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Z06, but the financial implications were more than I could handle.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4gone
If viper can get away still with a big displacement then no reason why the corvette can't
The 2013 Viper coupe MSRP 'starts' at $99,390; the 2013 Viper GTS will run $122,390 (incl destination).

I don't think GM wants those low production volumes of $100K+ cars.

Even the higher MSRP vettes, aren't really selling near MSRP.

GM is smart enough to know that aside from some diehards (like me) who are snatching up the remaining 427s, the high-priced vettes are really NOT a winning business proposition. I'm guessing the ZR1 is a money loser too, against the investment made to develop that car.

For the record, I also think the Camaro ZL1 is a dud. The market for cars that deliver mpg of only 14 city - 19 hwy are soon to be over. My money is betting that there will be no Shelby GT500 with the new 2014 Mustang either.

IMHO: I'm guessing the future holds lots of quick but smaller engined, profitable $60K-$80K vettes, and that the 'super-vette' will mostly soon be a thing of the past.

IMHO
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPhelps
How so and where? And any more evidence? You didn't provide any. It's all conjecture at this point, but most signs point to 6.2L remaining, with versions of the Gen V also having 5.3L displacement, likely as a "base v8" truck engine to slot between the 6 cyl and the 6.2L
Fair question. Motor Trend wrote the story suggesting the 5.5L. But I've seen the 5.3L & 6.2L speculation too.

However, there have been many articles citing the goal of significantly higher MPG - many written about the new 2014 Tahoe/Yukon/Trucks - and then other articles citing the Corvette, Camaro, Tahoe & Yukon will all be running the same new V8 engine. ...So you need to read the SUV & Truck stories too to track what being said about the new GM engines...
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

Thats a good point vetteman.we could be entering into a new time and.engines be smaller but boosted to make up for the absence of the big ones
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
Fair question. Motor Trend wrote the story suggesting the 5.5L. But I've seen the 5.3L & 6.2L speculation too.

However, there have been many articles citing the goal of significantly higher MPG - many written about the new 2014 Tahoe/Yukon/Trucks - and then other articles citing the Corvette, Camaro, Tahoe & Yukon will all be running the same new V8 engine. ...So you need to read the SUV & Truck stories too to track what being said about the new GM engines...
Fair enough, I guess I just wouldn't say "basically confirmed" because you've heard the rumor a few different places (and most of those articles all just piggy backed off each other for info) and suspect downsizing to meet goals of economy. I agree it is a reasonable expectation given what we know about fuel economy and emissions standards, though.

For what it's worth, sources I personally trust (but could be wrong!) are saying 6.2L LT1, but that much of the new advancements were eaten up by the stretch for higher fuel economy, so a "modest" (unclarified) gain only for the 6.2L. If the 3.6L V6 got ~19% gain from DI, is a "modest" gain 10%? That would put a 6.2L right in line with 475-480hp.

My thoughts are that advances in DI and VVT, possibly VVL (available on the new Impala's 3.6L v6) could still probably return impressive fuel economy in a car as light and aerodynamic as a Corvette even with a larger 6.2L. Plus the 7 speed manual leaves plenty of space for a crazy overdrive still. Corvettes, while fairly high volume for a sports car, are still a pretty small percentage of GM's total fleet, I personally believe (hope?) that they can meet a reasonable fuel economy figure without resorting to 5.3L downsizing.

I'm hearing new revamped 4.3L (possibly based off of Gen V V8s) v6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8 for the truck engines, btw.

Last edited by CPhelps; 09-29-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: A "427" c7?