Early buy C7 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Someone has been drinking the koolaid again... I'm not going to get into argument over who has the better memory of all the dealership ripoffs when the first C6 models hit the street.

I seem to recall a major fiasco with a certain forum dealer at the time who took deposits, agreed to sell at a certain price and then when they realized they could get even more money they screwed all their customers who had deals.

Some dealers are more greedy than others so prices will vary, but mark my words there will be few if any dealers who will be selling a first run C7 for anything less than sticker. It's a prcess that has repeated itself many times over the years so I really don't think I'm going out on a limb with my prediction.
Yup, lots of folks will wind up paying the "Maxi(mum) Price"..........

Last edited by tuxnharley; 09-28-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: capitalization
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Argument? And what '05 C6 did you buy? And where did I say "any dealer will be selling for anything less than sticker" I don't need to use memory, just the paperwork from my "first run" '05 C6.

And these are your words, the bold highlights to your words are mine:

"Hey Chris, glad to hear you are doing well. If I were you I might wait and see if the C7 comes out next year, but then you have to decide if you want the first year rune of a new series and deal with the probable "market adjustment" that most dealers will ask for the first year."
And your point is? Where did I say anything that contradicts what I'm saying now? I still say that very few, if any dealerships will sell a new model for less than MSRP+. There are always exceptions to every rule, but like I said there will be very "few".

Personally, I also think it's nonsense to put down deposits with a dealer. What's the purpose? If your dealer is truly your friend like you want to believe they will simply take your name and tell you that you are first or whereever on their list of phone calls when they get ready to order their first C7's. The deposit changes nothing other than cash from your pocket to the dealers while you wait.

It's the buyers money so he/she can spend it/use it anyway they want. I and most others just despise the greediness most dealers will demonstrate and the buyers who allow them to gouge prices. Dealers look at new series/model release of the Corvette as a huge payday.

Now let me find that unsubscribe button because this thread is becoming useless. Same old story repeating itself as usual.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by I Heart Clams
That thing looks terrible. A true Corvette lover would not buy the 2014 vette. Wait for the redesign in 2015.

So, you think GM is going to release the 2014 Corvette and then RE-DESIGN it for 2015????

Good luck with that.

Jimmy
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Someone has been drinking the koolaid again... I'm not going to get into argument over who has the better memory of all the dealership ripoffs when the first C6 models hit the street.

I seem to recall a major fiasco with a certain forum dealer at the time who took deposits, agreed to sell at a certain price and then when they realized they could get even more money they screwed all their customers who had deals.

Some dealers are more greedy than others so prices will vary, but mark my words there will be few if any dealers who will be selling a first run C7 for anything less than sticker. It's a prcess that has repeated itself many times over the years so I really don't think I'm going out on a limb with my prediction.
The major fiasco you're referring to was on 2006 (1st year) Z06's and the former forum dealer (located in Georgia, I think) did indeed mess a lot of folks up. Basically, if you were on their list for a Z06 at MSRP, you got pushed DOWN the list in favor of someone who was willing to pay OVER MSRP. So, the LIST was not really a list at all. It was an UGLY situation.

Jimmy
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I have to agree and besides, would you order a C7 before you knew what it will look like.
I will - except I will wait until looking at the C7 in person at the NAIAS.
If I like it, on the way home from Detroit I will be on the phone with my dealer.

Generally, ordering for the next model year - opens up in May. For my 2002, I ordered it in early May 2001 and picked it up at the dealer in mid-July 2001.

I dont' know if things will be like that during a year of a redesign though; but my plan (if I like the C7) is to be driving it in July 2013.

Quick Reply: Early buy C7 - Questions