Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Peters on Corvette Tail Lights and other things Corvette

Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tom Peters on Corvette Tail Lights and other things Corvette

What follows is my editing of a GM Press Release of comments by Tom Peters.

Peters said the Corvette’s instantly recognizable look doesn’t just come from shared design cues, it is how those cues are stitched together that creates the distinct look of Corvette.

“It’s similar to an iconic band, such like the Rolling Stones. For decades, the Stones have been using the same instruments. By changing their composition, the band has produced very different emotions and personalities. Despite the changing personalities of their songs, the sound is instantly recognizable as the Rolling Stones.

“The same is true with Corvette,” Peters said. “The new 427 Convertible doesn’t share a single design cue with the 1953 model. Yet, even from 100 yards, both cars are unmistakably Corvettes.”

As Corvette enters its seventh decade, here are a few of the common elements that have helped make each design unique – and each Corvette look like a Corvette.

Proportion: Each Corvette has similar proportions – from the long “dash to axle” element, to the short tail and small greenhouse.
“Corvette designers have often looked to fighter planes for inspiration,” said Peters. “You can see that aerospace influence in the Corvette’s low, wide stance, proportionately small cockpit, and how the body is wrapped around the mechanical components.”

Waterfall effect: A powerful, signature cue common among all Corvette generations is the way a part of the exterior bodywork cascades into the passenger compartment between the seat backs, introduced on the first-generation Corvette convertibles. Since then, the waterfall effect has been reinterpreted to make a seamless transition from the exterior to the interior of Corvette.

Dual cockpit architecture: Another iconic Corvette design cue that was inspired by jet fighters is the dual, wraparound cockpit. Introduced when Americans were obsessed with space flight, the wraparound cockpit instantly conveyed purposeful performance. Today, the Corvette’s interior still conveys the car’s sporting intentions, with easy access and visibility of the critical controls.

The bodyside cove: While a spear-like chrome feature highlighted the side of the 1953-55 Corvettes, for 1956, a concave cove was sculpted into the bodywork behind the front wheels. Although its form and function have been reinterpreted over the years, a cove or vent has been a signature cue in the Corvette’s bodyside ever since.
“The bodyside cove is arguably the most iconic design element for Corvette,” said Peters. “In each generation, the cove has influenced the powerful fender shapes and the overall sculpture of the Corvette. In addition, with each generation the bodyside cove has become more and more functional. A perfect example of this is the air extractors on the current ZR1.”

The tail: Another Corvette signature is the design treatment of the car’s tail. Peters notes that it’s not just the use (since 1961) of twinned and rounded taillamps at either side of the back of the car. Instead, it’s how the relationship between those lamps, exhaust pipes, and event license plate opening compliment the low, wide proportions of the Corvette body.

So, is Tom saying that rounded tail lights are not important but rather the relationship between those lamps, exhaust pipes, and event license plate opening?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When was the news release and why are you editing it? Got a link?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

To me, it seems pretty clear, round tail lights aren't what makes the rear of a Vette Vette-like, and no matter what shape, or half shape they are the rear will compliment the Rest of the body.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

This is actually old news. I can't remember from where but, I did read this a few month prior.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueOx
When was the news release and why are you editing it? Got a link?
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n..._corvette.html

Edited all the marketing hype and centered on the "styling" comments.

BIO from GM Thomas V. Peters: Director, Full-Size Truck and Performance Car Exterior Design

A lifetime passion for cars and design fuels Tom Peters’ work as the director of GM’s full-size truck and performance car studios. Peters has spent his 30-year career designing numerous concept, production and specialty vehicles and mentoring hundreds of designers.

Peters fondly remembers drawing vibrant pictures of cars like Ed “Big Daddy” Roth hot rods and selling copies at his junior high school for 25 cents.

Since 2004, Peters – whose many projects include the Cadillac Sixteen concept – has been director of exterior design for global rear-wheel-drive vehicles, including Corvette and Camaro. In 2009, his responsibilities grew to include oversight of the design team assigned to full-size trucks.

“Our work on the new Camaro has been especially rewarding for me and my team,” Peters said. “It is a fantastic platform and canvas to work with – the proportions are to die for and the high-performance design statements it permits us to explore are incredible.”

Peters has served GM Design in a variety of roles.

After a very brief stint at GM Design in 1980 following his graduation from college, Peters returned in 1982 and spent the next six years in the Advanced Design and Production Studios of Pontiac and Chevrolet, did early concept work for the first Saturn vehicle, and worked on production and concept Camaros and Corvettes, including the Corvette Indy show vehicle and 1988 Pontiac Banshee Prototype.

In 1992, Peters moved to California to be director of GM’s Advanced Concept Center. During his tenure, the ACC’s design team led a number of high-profile projects that ranged from full-size trucks and alternative drive vehicles to championing progressive digital design development processes.

Peters returned to the Motor City in 1995 to work at Pontiac production studios. did the Aztec - my comment Subsequent assignments included vehicle chief designer for the Cadillac XLR roadster and the C6 Corvette.

Peters graduated from the Art Center College of Design in California with a degree in Transportation Design.

In his leisure time, he embraces Michigan’s four seasons outdoors with his wife and three children, which includes cruising in his ’69 ZL1 Camaro.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aozora
This is actually old news. I can't remember from where but, I did read this a few month prior.
So did I, but it seems to have been forgotten in all the conversation about the tail light shape.

I am very interested in why there is so much passion about the tail lights. Thought I'd bring this up again and see how people respond.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
Thanks!
I'm a fan of Peter's work.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Thanks!
I'm a fan of Peter's work.
You know he also did the Aztek, right?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
I had read that originally the Aztec was quite an attractive design but in the 11th hour GM higher ups changed the platform the designers were working with and that is what caused some of the poor proportions .
Old 09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

He also did the C6 and the Camaro, both of which are fantastic to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aozora
To me, it seems pretty clear, round tail lights aren't what makes the rear of a Vette Vette-like, and no matter what shape, or half shape they are the rear will compliment the Rest of the body.
Yeah, I agree... or at least I hope I will.

I was thinking about the Vette tail lights driving home the other day. I know we're used to two sets of roundish tail lights, but really how many ways can they do that? As long as the rear of the car looks balanced and somehow 'Vette like' I think I will be happy with it. I spied a Camaro rear as it passed the other day and it's not bad, but I just hope the Vette version of that scenario is unique and not too closely matching the Camaro.

Either way though, I've all but talked the wife into buying one! Go me. I've missed my '06 Vert since I sold her.

TomZ
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

or, as it got to be called among my friends, the "spAztek"..........
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
NCM Member '09

He also did the C6 and the Camaro, both of which are fantastic to me.
He didn't do the Camaro. Sangyup Lee - who has since left GM - did that. I'll give Peters props for taking the voluptuous curves and generally feminine look of the C5 and giving it some stealth fighter angularity in the better packaged C6.

Last edited by BuckyThreadkiller; 09-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

He didn't do the Camaro. Sangyup Lee - who has since left GM - did that. I'll give Peters props for taking the voluptuous curves and generally feminine look of the C5 and giving it some stealth fighter angularity in the better packaged C6.
Sang Yup Lee worked for Tom Peters who was the Director of Design for the Corvette and the Camaro at the time. If you want to say that the artist is the designer, Sang Yup Lee also designed the C6/Z06.

Great article...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161506
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sang Yup Lee worked for Tom Peters who was the Director of Design for the Corvette and the Camaro at the time. If you want to say that the artist is the designer, Sang Yup Lee also designed the C6/Z06.

Great article...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161506
As you can see from the sketch Sang Yup did the C6 convertible design. The C6Z06 was done by the Design Manager on Corvette, Kirk Bennion. All this happens under the direction of Tom Peters !

Last edited by Z-Rated; 09-29-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-Rated
As you can see from the sketch Sang Yup did the C6 convertible design. The C6Z06 was done by the Design Manager on Corvette, Kirk Bennion. All this happens under the direction of Tom Peters !
Sorry, Sang Yup Lee drew the first C6 Z06 design in late 2001, including the diagonal grill that was eventually used. Yes, you are right that it all happened under Tom Peters.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, Sang Yup Lee drew the first C6 Z06 design in late 2001, including the diagonal grill that was eventually used. Yes, you are right that it all happened under Tom Peters.
Sang Yup only sketched the diagonal grille pattern. What you see on the road was completely developed by KB and Tom Froling in the wind tunnel.
The C6 Z06 design came from a scale model that KB started. Sang Yup did a sketch of Z06 well after the design was full size and had been fully directed by KB. So his work was not the first, nor was it the final. This was reviewed at the intro of the Z06 at NCM by the guys who really did the work !! Just say'n !

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Peters on Corvette Tail Lights and other things Corvette

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
NCM Member '09

I contend that Lee did the Camaro, Bennion did the C6 and the ZR-1. I don't know who did what on the Z06, but my guess would be KB.

As Design Director Peters would be choosing designs and offering comments, not doing the actual design work.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I contend that Lee did the Camaro, Bennion did the C6 and the ZR-1. I don't know who did what on the Z06, but my guess would be KB.

As Design Director Peters would be choosing designs and offering comments, not doing the actual design work.
Yeah, and if you want to get even more specific, it was Ed Welburn that chose the initial, GM internal Camaro design over the outside group's work to take into development.

It is always the upper management guys who help or kill any design.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

One might almost get the impression that automotive design at GM is the collaborative work of several people. They should call them design teams. They could even have everyone on a "team" work in the same space. Call it a studio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tom Peters on Corvette Tail Lights and other things Corvette