It's a shame we've already seen the C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Default It's a shame we've already seen the C7

It's a shame we've already seen the C7 under these cloak & dagger circumstances. Blurry, grainy, underexposed, camouflaged, pixelated, dull, lifeless, over speculated and over analyzed.

I admit it, I was as eager to see the C7 renditions, CAD drawings, spy shots, and leaks as much as anyone here. Checking CF every day, like a teenage boy hoping to get a peek at some C7 "skin." It's like peeking into the Christmas gifts months too soon, you satisfy the curiosity but destroy the surprise. There are advantages to seeing the new model for the very first time, properly illuminated and professionally photographed, with interesting scenery and attractive models. To see the car as the designers intended, presented with all the emotion and excitement they see in their creation. Sleek, sexy, exciting, fun, powerful. To go to the Big Car Show, feel the buzz in the crowd, and see a sparkling, brand new car unveiled to the public for the very first time. To feel the full effect of 100 years of professional automotive marketing brought into sharp focus on one car at one special moment in time.

I'm losing interest in the C7. Not the car so much as all the leaks and speculation. I've seen too much, and I've seen it too soon. I may turn off the "C7 Channel" on CF and wait until January for the rumored official Motown release. Maybe I can regain some of the excitement I felt during the Corvette introductions of the past, when I finally get to see the C7 as its intended to be seen, and experience it as it's intended to be experienced.

At least I can try to.

The C7 is going to be awesome, is there really any doubt? Of course not. I just need to stay cool, to be... patient.

Cheers,
JB
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

well said, I agree with you %100. Here's to NAIAS 2013!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
01vetteC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I agree - It would have been better if GM showed the C7 a little at a time, rather then some ugly drawing that showed the whole thing from Jaloknik . It did kind of ruin the fun a little.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM
01vetteC5
Instructor

This is how it Should have been done

Not this
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not yet. Many will be surprised when the real C7 appears. GM is playing this one well.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
01vetteC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Not yet. Many will be surprised when the real C7 appears. GM is playing this one well.
Do you really think we haven't seen the new C7 yet-
What about the Omega Molds and Cad Photo's-
Keeks Cad photo's that match the other ones-
Spy Photo's of C7 test cars that show 99% similarity's with Drawings and Cad Photo's.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

People are so bizzare.....You know, nobody held you guys down and forced you to look. Just understand that what we have all seen -so far- are just teases. Like seeing that toy in the old Sears catalog. Seeing it under the tree on Christmas morning is SO much better! Even when you see it in photos at the reveal, it will not be the same as that day when you finally see it in the flesh. Seeing it in the flesh is still not as incredible as the day you see it parked in YOUR garage.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01vetteC5
What about the Omega Molds and Cad Photo's-
Keeks Cad photo's that match the other ones-
Spy Photo's of C7 test cars that show 99% similarity's with Drawings and Cad Photo's.

I think we have seen 80-90% of the car. Kinda like getting to 3rd base. The Home Run is so much better if you get my drift.

When the package is presented 100% complete that will be the time to either bash or praise.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

We haven't seen it yet.
What we have seen are the various styling cues under consideration [test mules], and the base line prototype for starting the design process.

There's a lot of design elements out there that will need to be equaled or surpassed in order to get a a compeling and exciting corvette design aesthetic. I'm certain the design team is looking at the design elements of:
1- 370Z
2- Viper
3- Ferrari F12
4- Jag C-X16
5- Audi R8
6- Retro forward inspiration points based on the success of the camaro.

To name a few.

Last edited by User 2623; 10-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

You're joking right? the reveal is 3 months away, and production starts in roughly 10 months. Yet you think they are still looking at other cars for what design qualities they like!?!

People are seriously blowing my mind when it comes to this car...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
You're joking right? the reveal is 3 months away, and production starts in roughly 10 months. Yet you think they are still looking at other cars for what design qualities they like!?!

The design is complete. Have we seen the entire car yet? Nope..
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

No I did not say that....
I believe they have decided upon a couple of beta versions based on a number of blended styling cues as listed in my thread as inspiration and benchmarks. Bottom line : we just haven't seen any of the release candidates full assembled yet.

GM still does not to this day know which version they will go with come the reveal date. You've got test mules running every where at this point. Secret sneak peaks to gauage reaction based on versioning.

Don't kid yourself that you've seen the C7.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
No I did not say that....
I believe they have decided upon a couple of beta versions based on a number of blended styling cues as listed in my thread as inspiration and benchmarks. Bottom line : we just haven't seen any of the release candidates full assembled yet.

GM still does not to this day know which version they will go with come the reveal date. You've got test mules running every where at this point. Secret sneak peaks to gauage reaction based on versioning.

Don't kid yourself that you've seen the C7.
That's not how it works.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Oh my. Just... oh my.

You understand the huge time, energy, and politics involved, as you're suggesting, to be completed in basically 6 months before production? So 3 months away from the pre production car reveal, the body and other things are not even chosen(keeping in mind you can't just choose cool bumper A with cool side skirts C for aero among I'm sure a dozen other reasons), but roughly a month before hand it will be? So then in about 6 months full tooling, contracts and other miscellaneous details will be not just ironed out, but outright started and finished? Multiple millions of dollars will be assessed and spent in 6 months for one line of car? You know the tooling for the new assembly line is supposedly already sitting at the corvette plant, were the XLR used to be? I think that speaks volumes...

Last edited by McGirk94LT1; 10-01-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree that we have seen 80/90% of the C7. But, I also think that the unrevealed 10% will be the "details" which when revealed will either make or break the look of the Car. IMO, the complete Car will be a fairly radical departure from the C5/C6. I am betting on a GM homerun.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by 89L98
I agree that we have seen 80/90% of the C7. But, I also think that the unrevealed 10% will be the "details" which when revealed will either make or break the look of the Car. IMO, the complete Car will be a fairly radical departure from the C5/C6. I am betting on a GM homerun.
Well Stated.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Stated.
It will not matter that much more. The meat and potatoes are
out, and that is what most want to see. The small indentations
of an inch or 2 on the side or back is not going to reflect that
much more. Actual grill design, big deal, you know the lights
shape, nose points, a crease here and there can't change that
much. Gm might as well start releasing some good quality
info to drum up business in a bad economy

Get notified of new replies

To It's a shame we've already seen the C7

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetteC5
You may (or may not) be correct, we might've seen (much of) the car already, but who exactly are we?
A few thousand people on some message boards?
What about my neighbor?
Or even my cousin Mike?
They may NOT have seen any of those photos yet.

And of the potential 25k or 30k+ buyers of the 2014 Corvette, how many do you really think have seen what the very few of us on these forums have seen?
Those people might be VERY surprised the first time they see a new Corvette C7.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by texvette2
It will not matter that much more. The meat and potatoes are
out, and that is what most want to see. The small indentations
of an inch or 2 on the side or back is not going to reflect that
much more. Actual grill design, big deal, you know the lights
shape, nose points, a crease here and there can't change that
much. Gm might as well start releasing some good quality
info to drum up business in a bad economy
Dealers still have a lot of 2012 & 2013 models. Not sure they want it out now. Maybe as the weather changes & Corvette sales slow in the winter as they always do.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Oh my. Just... oh my.

You understand the huge time, energy, and politics involved, as you're suggesting, to be completed in basically 6 months before production? So 3 months away from the pre production car reveal, the body and other things are not even chosen(keeping in mind you can't just choose cool bumper A with cool side skirts C for aero among I'm sure a dozen other reasons), but roughly a month before hand it will be? So then in about 6 months full tooling, contracts and other miscellaneous details will be not just ironed out, but outright started and finished? Multiple millions of dollars will be assessed and spent in 6 months for one line of car? You know the tooling for the new assembly line is supposedly already sitting at the corvette plant, were the XLR used to be? I think that speaks volumes...
Hello,... I'm speaking about the template sheet metal .... skinning the car based on versioning. Example: The rear quarter pannel can have 2 /3 distinct versions already spec'd out as to attachment points, die cuts, fasting material, resouces, procurement, but not neccessarily as to the final go-to-market descision. It represents the difference between the bringing a Z06 design to market as opposed to a baseline model. The versioning which maybe bold or just nuanced also represent possible upgrade or value add steps [freshing the look] for the cars life cycle.

GM follows they same methodology with almost every model in this regard.

There are differing design versions of the C7 out there being tested as we speak. Who knows Test Mule #33 may be the release candidate.

Why am I arguing this point.... I don't know?
Am I really that vested in this position - not.
All I care about is that the care is contemporary, the design inspires me, the cost of quality is approached with zero defects, price per features is market positive, and I can see the value add in moving to the new model.

Which all are specualting about but have not seen to any degree of confidence.

Last edited by User 2623; 10-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: It's a shame we've already seen the C7