Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 commercial

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, that was a cool concept but not such a cool car. It makes a few people very happy, but it didn't really work out. Overweight, overpriced, and underpowered, the last needlessly so -- GM's decision to drop in the lackluster 5.3L Vortec V8 (to haul 4400lbs) instead of the 6.0L made absolutely no sense. Probably some beancounter whinging about engine production capacity. Fixed a year later, but too little too late.

Imagine a version of this in two years, on an Alpha platform with a next-gen LSA. All twelve El Camino fans with Corvette money would be in heaven. Maybe Australian exchange rates and tariffs will be more favorable to the next Ute....

I think the idea of specialty cars has merit, and I hope we haven't seen the last of them from GM.

Though if I have to choose between that and a shorter Corvette lifecycle, I choose the shorter Corvette lifecycle. Part of the reason these new-generation commercials are such spectacles is GM waits too long to build a new Corvette in the first place. Let's hope bankruptcy is the only reason we had a nine-year wait, and the next one comes sooner. I think a six-year cycle sounds about right; what do you think?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thrownin it out there, as I actually saw it on here in the other cars section, the "Chevy SS" is coming over here(g8), that's known. But a left hand drive version was already spotted... the ute version. It just may be that we'll get a 4 door and an el Camino version this time, as a Chevy model. I think a Chevelle/Chevelle SS/El Camino would be an interesting choice of names for such a line up. Or *gasp* Bell Air even for the 4 door version?!?

Carry on about c7 ads...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I think the idea of specialty cars has merit, and I hope we haven't seen the last of them from GM.

Though if I have to choose between that and a shorter Corvette lifecycle, I choose the shorter Corvette lifecycle. Part of the reason these new-generation commercials are such spectacles is GM waits too long to build a new Corvette in the first place. Let's hope bankruptcy is the only reason we had a nine-year wait, and the next one comes sooner. I think a six-year cycle sounds about right; what do you think?
I'd say 6-8 yrs max. As manufacturing capabilities improve, I think generational cycles will speed up or at least more real change will happen between cycles. I just hope sales improve enough to allow that to happen. I'm just darned glad we have a C7 Corvette to ponder at all!!

Specialty cars...I just don't know if they really make business sense to do. Maybe some off-the-wall form of another existing car would keep costs down enough to make sense. Maybe a Corvette-themed SUV like the Cayanne based on one of the existing GM small SUV platforms.

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Guilty in Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread....keep em coming whether vettes or not as that Ford GT commercial was pretty cool too....BTW, Mike Merc....are you related to forum member Blitzkrieg???? (check out his avitar!)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maybe a Corvette-themed SUV like the Cayanne based on one of the existing GM small SUV platforms.
Hmmm, reminds me of my TBSS...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
qualitycare
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Youtube search turned up these... C4 is awesome.

c1 (1953-1962) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBm7CbRXoOo

c2 (1963-1967) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeOPUMUmLLQ

c3 (1968-1982) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4aePWsaKQI

c4 (1984-1996) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7ijUkgc-4

c5 (1997-2004) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2MgRhlpNk

c6 (2005-2013) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D95xWahRSM
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
CDMan477
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4 is awesome.
I sometimes wonder how the 80's ever happened? Glad I was to young at the time to remember it today.

Thanks for the links though. Some nice commercials.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CDMan477
I sometimes wonder how the 80's ever happened? Glad I was to young at the time to remember it today.

Thanks for the links though. Some nice commercials.
You kidding me?

The 80's were the BEST

Of course if we had only had the HP wars going on back then like we do today it would have been perfect...
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ahiliya fernandes
Many real estate investors leave commercial real estate opportunities aside. The sheer thought of empty office buildings and old warehouses with faded 'For Sale' signs on dark and deserted industry parks is often more than enough to scare them off. Commercial real estate investment is often perceived as too risky due to the hardships in securing and keeping good tenants for commercial property and because of the difficulty in getting commercial real estate investment opportunities properly financed. Then, what is the reason that I often favor commercial property as an investment vehicle? Why do I believe that commercial real estate investment can stand out from its residential counterpart?

ecigaretteuk
Go make an infomercial somewhere else!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Weird to see the SSR at the end. Chevy's answer to the faux custom Plymouth Prowler.

And they were both equally successful!

Jimmy
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
We all remember the C6 commercial with the two school-age kids; but not many are aware of the C5 commercial "What Is It"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2MgRhlpNk

I wonder what GM will have in-store for the C7 ???
Thanks for the memory.... Great Post

Quick Reply: C7 commercial