Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new trans in C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What's all the hub bub on the DCT TRANNY's? They aren't all that.For a 450-500 HP car I'd prefer a beefed up regular tranny that is programmed to instantly shift when using paddles,like they did with the newest Vettes. Any DCT I've been in hunts and bogs down more often then it needs to. Of course,that is if I were getting an automatic,which I'm not.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
What's all the hub bub on the DCT TRANNY's? They aren't all that.For a 450-500 HP car I'd prefer a beefed up regular tranny that is programmed to instantly shift when using paddles,like they did with the newest Vettes. Any DCT I've been in hunts and bogs down more often then it needs to. Of course,that is if I were getting an automatic,which I'm not.
What is all the hub bub with this new stuff? I had a heck of a time giving up my pager, and then my cellular brick phone. What's this iPhone & Droid stuff? They aren't all that
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
vetmts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people still enjoy the third peddle. At the end of the day a DCT is still a fancy automatic. But it is each to his/her own. I applaud GM for keeping the manual alive as it is for the truly skilled and enthused.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetmts
A lot of people still enjoy the third peddle. At the end of the day a DCT is still a fancy automatic. But it is each to his/her own. I applaud GM for keeping the manual alive as it is for the truly skilled and enthused.
Do you really believe that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have the 7 speed DCT PDK transmission in my 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS and it is OUTSTANDING...... so much so that I am parting with my 2011 GS MN6 and will await the C7 hopefully with a top of the line DCT tranny. The PDK is lightning fast and smooth and with the car in "SPORT PLUS" mode I believe it would easily out perform a manual with all but maybe the best of drivers. I NEVER thought I would move away from a manual tranny but I am now sold!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

We've "been told" that we are not getting a DCT.

So stop getting our hopes up....
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarBoy
We've "been told" that we are not getting a DCT.

So stop getting our hopes up....
Who is we? Where is the official GM release? I'm guessing it won't happen. But if you have proof please provide it. Thanks..
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
...and even they think the proper shape for tail lights is round
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 PM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Met a guy in Germany, his friend works with ZF. He is 100% that ZF is going into C7, it will be a 7 speed, and i looked up their products. They do have a 7 speed, its used in Panamera and 911 Turbo, so it can handle torque

Rune
ZF isn't supplying the 7-spd manual for the C7 Corvette, TREMEC is. However, I found that out two years ago so it is possible GM switched suppliers of the 7-spd transmission from TREMEC to ZF since that time.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Corvette needs dual clutch and paddle shift to keep up, imho

Rune
Maybe to keep up with technology, but certainly not on the track.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vetmts
Well, alrighty then...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
+1

Manual transmissions are going the way of the horse and buggy.
Actually not true. I read an article recently that manual transmissions are actually gaining popularity. While I have no problem with people not wanting a manual transmission, I do have a problem with any high performance car that does not offer a manual. They immediately fall of my list of weekend cars if I can't get it with a manual. And while I don't have one right now, I do have three motorcycles with manual transmissions so I still get my jollies shifting gears while going fast.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by THE BUD MAN
I have the 7 speed DCT PDK transmission in my 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS and it is OUTSTANDING...... so much so that I am parting with my 2011 GS MN6 and will await the C7 hopefully with a top of the line DCT tranny. The PDK is lightning fast and smooth and with the car in "SPORT PLUS" mode I believe it would easily out perform a manual with all but maybe the best of drivers. I NEVER thought I would move away from a manual tranny but I am now sold!
For racing "lightening shifts" are great. But if you don't race the car does it really matter if it shifts in a millisecond or not? What really is the point for a street car?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Who is we? Where is the official GM release? I'm guessing it won't happen. But if you have proof please provide it. Thanks..
I believe Keeks is the one that provided this info. The info he has offered seems to be quite legit.
I for one would love to have a DCT, but so far it seems to be on the list of disappointments with the C7

Originally Posted by jschindler
For racing "lightening shifts" are great. But if you don't race the car does it really matter if it shifts in a millisecond or not? What really is the point for a street car?
Well if you ask me the DCT should replace the Auto tranny instead of the manual.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Ask all the Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. owners...

It probably isn't a matter of just being lightnin' quick but that it provides good hard shifts quickly when called upon to do so. I think the feeling is the Corvette automatic is a true slush-box that is slow and mushy.

I only speak from the complaints I've seen here and what little experience I have test driving older C6 auto trannys.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarBoy
I believe Keeks is the one that provided this info. The info he has offered seems to be quite legit.
I for one would love to have a DCT, but so far it seems to be on the list of disappointments with the C7

Well if you ask me the DCT should replace the Auto tranny instead of the manual.
Who is keeks? What does he have to do with GM? Keeks may be on to something. Yet again maybe not. Most of what I have seen are drawings and speculation. I will hold judgement until I see the official car.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Ask all the Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. owners...

It probably isn't a matter of just being lightnin' quick but that it provides good hard shifts quickly when called upon to do so. I think the feeling is the Corvette automatic is a true slush-box that is slow and mushy.

I only speak from the complaints I've seen here and what little experience I have test driving older C6 auto trannys.

I dont race my Porsche but it is sure more fun to drive and shift with the PDK over any regular "slush box" automatic. If you need the quick reaction it is there.

Get notified of new replies

To The new trans in C7

Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
Common Rune. You know you're not supposed to shift mid-corner.
i know, in my manual Corvette, no way i lift mid turn.
But i tried 458, BMW M3, and others,,,, no problem flicking the paddle mid turn, at WOT, nothing gets upset, it just keeps pulling, do not get out of balance, i LOVE it.....

Rune
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

I dont race my Porsche but it is sure more fun to drive and shift with the PDK over any regular "slush box" automatic. If you need the quick reaction it is there.
I want to be clear on my post above - I do agree that a PDK is better than a slushbox for performance cars.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

I think you will get the same tranny in C7, as Panamera use ZF trans 7 speed DCT, imagine that tranny in something that weights half of your Panamera

Rune

Quick Reply: The new trans in C7