Sponsored by:

c7 shown at GM meeting

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
I commend GM for hiding the C7 so the dealers can move as many C6's as possible before January.

If I was a dealer, especially with lots of C6's on my lot, I'd be livid if GM started showing off the C7 any sooner.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
I kinda think it's silly of GM to be doing this.. if the car is ready for production...let folks see it... so friggin what?
Just a marketing move. It has been normal for decades to hide future models from the public until a grand unveiling so that they can get maximum press. Problem is we are in the minority and are totally interested in the vehicle, unlike the general public that will look at it around the unveiling time them move on to their grocery getters.

When I had my C5 I said that was the last Corvette I would buy, then when I bought my C6 I said that was the last Corvette I would buy.........when the heck is that thing going to be revealed.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

At this point, so close to the unveil, it's all not worth getting wrapped around the axle.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
I commend GM for hiding the C7 so the dealers can move as many C6's as possible before January.

If I was a dealer, especially with lots of C6's on my lot, I'd be livid if GM started showing off the C7 any sooner.

Someone on the forum stated a dealer has 92 C6's. That is a lot of inventory.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
[/COLOR][/U]
A rule that sadly most, if not all of the dealers, do not adhere to .........
The dealer has a big $$$, long term relationship with GM. Most dealers look at us consumers as a transaction - bada bing, bada boom. If we come back to buy another car one day, its a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by stranded
I sure hope not
I think that was the lingenfelter c67 or something like that.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
At this point, so close to the unveil, it's all not worth getting wrapped around the axle.

Those who talk don't know, and those who know don't talk. I'm just chill in until the official unveil.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing that seems kinda silly to me is why GM wants so badly to make the Vette look like something else?... I mean the car has been around for 60 years. People like the trademark like features of the car. Those lines and features have to be good to have lasted this long.

Why are they so concerned with making the Vette look Euro? The Vette is an American car.

I hope the C7 ends up looking ok... but i keep feeling like something is wrong with what has leaked out. Maybe its just the rear half of the car that has kinda hurt the feeling about the car. But i hope it ends up looking ok.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All this showmanship worked for Steve Jobs, so the GM PR guys have sold it to the top brass.

I'm interested in buying a leftover 2012 or a 2013, but without seeing or knowing the pricing of the C7 I guess I'll wait. October, November, December are not going to be big sales months for Corvette.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=ButWhatDoIKnow;1582011789]All this showmanship worked for Steve Jobs.....QUOTE]

It didn't start with Steve Jobs nor will it ever end. Think P T Barnum......
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 AM
ramez75
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice thread
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I can understand GM hiding the car from the public. Absolutely makes sense. However, IMO, inviting dealers to these events only to flicker strobe lights at the car is pointless. Why not show their dealers the car? Just ensure the dealers don't have cameras or cell phones - then let them see the car!!! After all, they need to see these things down the road and surely it could be beneficial for them to brag about the car to their potential customers.

GM is acting like their own dealers are outsiders. I can't imagine Ferrari or Porsche hiding their next generation flagship car from their most reputable dealers.

IMO, all this is getting pretty stupid.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I can understand GM hiding the car from the public. Absolutely makes sense. However, IMO, inviting dealers to these events only to flicker strobe lights at the car is pointless. Why not show their dealers the car? Just ensure the dealers don't have cameras or cell phones - then let them see the car!!! After all, they need to see these things down the road and surely it could be beneficial for them to brag about the car to their potential customers.

GM is acting like their own dealers are outsiders. I can't imagine Ferrari or Porsche hiding their next generation flagship car from their most reputable dealers.

IMO, all this is getting pretty stupid.
The strobe effect would be a visually exciting part of the show, but I suspect it is primarily intended to defeat any cameras or videos that slipped past security. (Cameras would have trouble calculating exposure and focus under strobes.) Even with TSA levels of security ($$$$), stuff get through.

Cheers,
JB
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Mmmmmmmmm ......................... No breakfast bagels .............. yeachhhhh
Old 10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
The dealer has a big $$$, long term relationship with GM. Most dealers look at us consumers as a transaction - bada bing, bada boom. If we come back to buy another car one day, its a pleasant surprise.
Most realistic thing I've heard said during this whole summer and into now. Most Chevy dealers - at least in my area, could care less about the Corvette - other than being a flagship and an icon. In my entire 50 mile area there is one dealer who has EVER had a ZR1 on display for example. At most they'll have ONE standard or ONE GS. Even then, it's like a dead fish on ice waiting for some oddball to buy it on the internet. The one dealer who is right off an interstate between a known .... let's say.... "pathway" between a major city and us sells a few high enders - even Callaway. But even he is of little impact compared to an East Coast mega center that is within driving distance from anybody who wants to take a day off and buy any model, any color, in stock, and at HUGE markdowns beyond any GM crumbs.
Why the ramble? Because when the C7 hits the big boy coastal depots, they will be a dime a dozen. And my area might have ONE on display for like the first year or two. And they won't care. Just like they don't care now. They sell appliances all day every day.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what GM is doing with the drawn out hype, tidbit glimpses and secrecy is smart-- maddening for us devotees and potential buyers at this point, but smart in term of not only selling C6s but in augmenting the anticipation of seeing the real thing at last and making us drool with anticipation in the meantime. There are parallels with anticipating other desirous things, and it works!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Mmmmmmmmm ......................... No breakfast bagels .............. yeachhhhh
It's funny because I just woke up (in CA) from a dream. Somehow my deceased uncle had access to a yellow C7 in a dealership. And he let me drive it. The real big scoop is that it's not a Chevy anymore. It's an AirJeep. Yes my friends.

Get notified of new replies

To c7 shown at GM meeting

Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I am not quite sure what an AirJeep is but luckily GM is really rolling at the moment . If things get bad again Cadillac and Corvette will be very valuable to another manufacture .
Paul mentioned how counterproductive it is for some dealers not to see the entire car. No conspiracy ,just politics. Another dealer friend of mine was given a garantee that he would receive 30 extra of the hotter models per month, for one year, if he did a facelift on his building.

Roundlight is right on the money with dealer inventories.. Just recently I was thinking about what it was like to be a local Porsche dealer. If I was going to buy a new 911 I would just find one similar to what I would like in someone's inventory, somewhere in the country and make a super cool road trip out of the deal. Why bother with the local guy with 2 in stock?
Consider this too, you have 8 million of your own money tied up in your
dealership and business has been lean lately with a few losing months.
Porsche calls you up and says Micheal Jordan wants to buy your
dealership. You really don't want to sell. Eight months later Jordan Porsche is
being built 15 miles away and it is touted to be the biggest in thecountry. Sure you can sue but who wins there .
Being a car dealer ain't always easy.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Air Jeep

This ..........

Last edited by MikeyTX; 03-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt
Hogwash. Who cares one iota about dealers and C6's? Every late in the day C6 sale is probably one less C7 sale anyway.
We are not GM's customers. The dealers are the customers. They order and buy the cars and then try to sell them at a profit. Sure we're the final target audience, but GM has to sell the dealers first. GM also has to sell the marketing campaign that they plan on helping the dealers, but that's another story.

Quick Reply: c7 shown at GM meeting