Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caddy to build 2 seat halo car

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever. I own a Corvette because I want to own a Corvette. If the XLR was still made and had been the same price as my 2011---- I would still own my Corvette. 60 years worth of reasons.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one. GM HAS chosen. It chose the Corvette as the corporate halo car for decades!

IMO it is very counter productive to have a high-end, two-seater Corvette and a high-end, two-seater Cadillac being sold by the same corporation, especially these days. Now, if they are vastly different, don't share similar engines, are not going to be cross-shopped, sold in different parts of the world, etc., possibly.
You need to read the article if you haven't. Evidently GM is on board with this for the Caddy div. It's their money , not mine .................. Well kind of I do own stock in the company.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Just because Jag put out this 2-seater doesn't mean it was smart or that it will sell. Why did Ford just sell these guys? Maybe because they make stupid decisions and weren't profitable. Oh, and because they REALLY needed the money and finally found someone in India to give them a lot of money for it.

We have no idea if the Vette's performance would be touched "for the money" or not. Yes, competition WOULD get ugly and why invite that now when Vette sales suck already?
Because GM will do what GM want's to do if they in the tower feels it will make money. There are a lot of others out there that would buy a 2 seat hi-po Caddy that have no desire to own a Corvette.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Because GM will do what GM want's to do if they in the tower feels it will make money.

There are a lot of others out there that would buy a 2 seat hi-po Caddy that have no desire to own a Corvette.
Yeah, I just hope GM has more brains than it did in the past.

Like all the XLR buyers out there....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

"Halo" and "Flagship" have been overused to the point that they don't mean much anymore.

As a result, I now read "halo car" as any vehicle that credibly improves the image of a whole brand; and "flagship" as a brand's most expensive vehicle of that type, with "type" meaning just about whatever you want it to mean.

In other words, they used to be marketing terms, then became marketing buzzwords, now they're marketing noise.

.Jinx
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the $120k Vette?

What do you think the Caddy 2-seater would cost? What engine would it have to have to compete with the high-end MBs or Jags?
The xlrv was $98k in late 2005, by 2008 it was over $101k. The zr1 in 2009 was $103k, for 2013 it's $113k. Thus, no, a Cadillac version wouldn't touch the corvette price/performance wise.

Like I said. Even if it was an identically powered car, with different body panels and more expensive interior pieces, it would become a corvette vs limited corvette situation, in which obviously the unique pieces will drive up the price. Factor in a twin turbo 6 or supercharged next gen north star vs the next pushrod motor, and the price goes up further. I say go for it, as some will never consider a vette vs the sl or slk, but they just might look at Cadillac for its more polished image vs the vette.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Yeah, I just hope GM has more brains than it did in the past.

Like all the XLR buyers out there....
I'm not holding my breath on that first sentence.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jinx
"Halo" and "Flagship" have been overused to the point that they don't mean much anymore.

As a result, I now read "halo car" as any vehicle that credibly improves the image of a whole brand; and "flagship" as a brand's most expensive vehicle of that type, with "type" meaning just about whatever you want it to mean.

In other words, they used to be marketing terms, then became marketing buzzwords, now they're marketing noise.

.Jinx
Well stated. Chevy has a Halo car the Volt. And one of it's flagship cars is the Impala.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has already promised KY a second car line at BG in exchange for tax breaks on the BG plant. This deal resulted in some major investments in the plant and a promise of work force increase. I find it difficult to believe that the second car line would be anything except C7 chassis based. This Cad might have been an interesting application for the high tech V8 that the government appointed head of GM cancelled.

The article mixes car types when it lists the Jag along with the SL. IMO, a true SL competator from Cad would not pull any Corvette sales. The Jag is more likely to be compairson shopped against the Corvette.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one. GM HAS chosen. It chose the Corvette as the corporate halo car for decades!

IMO it is very counter productive to have a high-end, two-seater Corvette and a high-end, two-seater Cadillac being sold by the same corporation, especially these days. Now, if they are vastly different, don't share similar engines, are not going to be cross-shopped, sold in different parts of the world, etc., possibly.

You couldn't be more wrong.
It is exactly the opposite. Have 2 cars that use most of the same parts increases market share by having more products to choose from with less R&D.
The Camaro and Firebird are shining examples of this. Basically the same car and close to the same looks but different enough to get buys for one that may not have chosen the other.
The more products you put on the shelf the more chances you have of someone picking "your" product.

We have plenty of people here on the forum that want weight laden luxury items on their vette, and others that want stripped down models. Another "XLR" may not be that bad of an idea. 1 things for sure, you can bet GM won't do it unless the bean counters say it will make $$.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

.Jinx
....it's like the word superstar. It used to really mean superstar, but now they call any above average athlete or celebrity a superstar.

So I guess Subaru has a halo car as well? LOL

As far as I'm concerned GM (America in fact) has ONLY ONE halo car and that is the Corvette, but cadillac is making some serious progress and it wouldn't be long before it will have a model that will share that title with the Corvette.

Last edited by shawnvettefan; 10-09-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

.Jinx
Flagship and halo are the same.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Second car line? Chinese-market Buick convertible... with a huge back seat
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Flagship and halo are the same.
Not the same.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarBoy
You couldn't be more wrong.
It is exactly the opposite. Have 2 cars that use most of the same parts increases market share by having more products to choose from with less R&D.
The Camaro and Firebird are shining examples of this. Basically the same car and close to the same looks but different enough to get buys for one that may not have chosen the other.
The more products you put on the shelf the more chances you have of someone picking "your" product.

We have plenty of people here on the forum that want weight laden luxury items on their vette, and others that want stripped down models. Another "XLR" may not be that bad of an idea. 1 things for sure, you can bet GM won't do it unless the bean counters say it will make $$.
So you pick a 30 yr old example of the Camaro and Firebird and say I'm wrong? Wake up...the whole Pontiac division is GONE.
You think the bean counters didn't say go with the XLR before?

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

The XLR failed b/c Cadillac was not in the same place it was back then as it is now, it has more respect now. In addition, the interior quality & design was mediocre at best and the styling was a little too edgy.

Now if they make a $85K sports car with emphasis on quality & performance I think it will take some shares from Mercedes SL, Jaguar XK & F-Type, BMW 6 Series and the upcoming rumored Lexus SC replacement. It will also take some shares from the Corvette but so what? That's part of business, besides if it shares the platfrom w/the Corvette, it would help it in the long run.

Last edited by shawnvettefan; 10-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

So you pick a 30 yr old example of the Camaro and Firebird and say I'm wrong? Wake up...the whole Pontiac division is GONE.
Irrelevant. I love me some last gen ws6 trans am, I mean love how bad *** they look. I'd never bother sitting in the catfish looking camaro. GM wouldn't have gotten my money if it came down to say, 01 camaro or 01 cobra.

If the vette and Cadillac are different enough, especially price wise, they arn't in danger of killing each other's sales. And as I said, the caddy won't be near the vettes bang for the buck, and the caddy will have things most vette guys would never want... but they might be some things a potential slk customer might.

Get notified of new replies

To Caddy to build 2 seat halo car

Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Not the same.
The term "halo car" is often used in automotive marketing and journalism to refer to the flagship vehicle. The term is derived from the halo effect, the tendency for a favorable trait to influence the perception of subsequent traits in a sequence of interpretations; it appears to have been used as early as 1938.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Flagship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship
The term "halo car" is often used in automotive marketing and journalism to refer to the flagship vehicle. The term is derived from the halo effect, the tendency for ...The term flagship is also used to describe the top or main vehicle manufactured by automotive marque. These vehicles are usually, but not always, the most expensive, prestigious and largest vehicles in the line-up. The term is most often applied to sedans and usually only those manufactured by luxury automobile marques.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Irrelevant. I love me some last gen ws6 trans am, I mean love how bad *** they look. I'd never bother sitting in the catfish looking camaro. GM wouldn't have gotten my money if it came down to say, 01 camaro or 01 cobra.
What is irrelevant is your opinion based on this statement. Old world thinking that is truly irrelevant in today's marketplace. Given your opinion, the Firebird is about to make a brilliant comeback.

Quick Reply: Caddy to build 2 seat halo car