Sponsored by:

Will C7 frame be all-aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
and where would the average person get helium to put in their tires. I am in the helium business and i dont know if you know it there is a very serious helium shortage going on and it is super expensive to buy right now. It wouldn't be a problem for me because i have it at my disposal but for everybody else?. I don't see this happening for the corvette tires.
Not sure if helium really would help much....lol. The car still weighs the same in the direction parellel to the earth. If it were a rocket then sure it would help to a degree but I think he is yanking our chains?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I have it on good authority that it will have a new TiAlHe alloy an it will only be 2mm thick and have a mass of 100 kg, but do to a Helium fill of the "air" tight frame it will "weigh less than 10 pounds. They will also be using special tires that have a mylar lining so that they can be filled with Helium. While the unsprung mass is changed very slightly this will make the tire/wheel combination 4 pounds lighter per corner.

They are doing amazing things with technology.
What would happen if there is a leak and the helium somehow gets into the exhaust system? How would it sound? lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

and where would the average person get helium to put in their tires. I am in the helium business and i dont know if you know it there is a very serious helium shortage going on and it is super expensive to buy right now. It wouldn't be a problem for me because i have it at my disposal but for everybody else?. I don't see this happening for the corvette tires.
Damn thats why the ballons cost so much now. Damn shortages. lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I think it is also possible that they could use some mixture of the aluminum, magnesium, steel, NanoSteel, and other materials.
Basically the same stuff they have at Area 51 that they found at the Roswell crash.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1RedVettFor2
Not sure if helium really would help much....lol. The car still weighs the same in the direction parellel to the earth.
Less weight on the tires = less rolling resistance = better fuel economy.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by S'vette
What would happen if there is a leak and the helium somehow gets into the exhaust system? How would it sound? lol.
Like Alvin the chipmunk trying to make V8 sounds.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Less weight on the tires = less rolling resistance = better fuel economy.
Nah...helium won't even help football kickers!
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...y-farther.html
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
diablojota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
I do not know their volume of sales forecast for the C7 but if it's only 15,000 cars or so they are going to use a combination of oursourced to specification and in house to make parts for final assembly. You can't afford much tooling on 15,000 or less cars forecasts.

When I heard the $131 million I thought that either they were outsourcing a ton or that they weren't making many fundamental changes.

Don't know which. Tooling can be very expensive. Way more than the $131mm I would think.
My guess is that there aren't many drastic changes to the frame design (more compact/smaller), but fundamentally similar. Plus they have already taken all the sunk and R&D costs and put them into the more expensive Z06 and ZR1. Therefore making aluminum frames available for all Corvettes wouldn't contribute much more to costs at this point and would allow for increases in economies of scale and scope as they expand the model lines.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I think BlueOx's prediction of multiple metals is on target. It might be predominantly aluminum but I bet the targa top frame and the firewall/dashboard crossmember are magnesium. I was hoping for high-strength steel A pillars to reduce their girth but it doesn't look like that happened. (A pillars are ridiculously thick these days; I can't wait for the study that shows the blind spots they create cause accidents...)

.Jinx
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4xxk-C7-ZR7
If this the case, will they show a crash test? ( I have only seen one of the C5 and I don't think it did too well. )
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in a "crash test". But I've seen quite a few pics of wrecked C5's and read the details of the crash and I have to say the car fairs very well for some of the things I've seen happen to them.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette

Like a ricer with a fart can?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd bet a dollar it will.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

First, it was joke. I don't think a smiley was necessary; especially with the titanium Aluminum Helium alloy. As Helium is a noble gas, I would guess that would be difficult to practically impossible. Putting helium in the rails would service no practical purpose as the mass of the car would almost unchanged, so the dynamics would be unchanged. The car "weighing" less would have no value.

I realize there is a shortage, although it is hard to tell by most people on the street as they still sell helium balloons. Helium would be highly impractical as the helium would migrate through the rubber of the tire. I doubt the mylar would adhere well to the rubber over time, and helium still migrate, just at a slower pace.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
First, it was joke. I don't think a smiley was necessary; especially with the titanium Aluminum Helium alloy. As Helium is a noble gas, I would guess that would be difficult to practically impossible. Putting helium in the rails would service no practical purpose as the mass of the car would almost unchanged, so the dynamics would be unchanged. The car "weighing" less would have no value.

I realize there is a shortage, although it is hard to tell by most people on the street as they still sell helium balloons. Helium would be highly impractical as the helium would migrate through the rubber of the tire. I doubt the mylar would adhere well to the rubber over time, and helium still migrate, just at a slower pace.
I think all the drug lords are buying up the helium, its the new craze, again.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GM invested in NanoSteel. My guess is that they're going to use it for the frame at some point in the C7 generation. It's FAR lighter than standard steel, it's way cheaper than aluminum and carbon fiber and it's nearly on par as far as weight goes with aluminum except that it's stronger.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
GM invested in NanoSteel. My guess is that they're going to use it for the frame at some point in the C7 generation. It's FAR lighter than standard steel, it's way cheaper than aluminum and carbon fiber and it's nearly on par as far as weight goes with aluminum except that it's stronger.
The other really important point is that it can still be formed by existing steel-forming equipment.

There is no doubt they will use it but the only real question is where and how much. With NanoSteel, GM's new aluminum welding technique, magnesium, and other materials/approaches, I can see a very light C7 generation.

I can only hope they bring those materials/approaches to the next-gen Camaro also!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I think BlueOx's prediction of multiple metals is on target. It might be predominantly aluminum but I bet the targa top frame and the firewall/dashboard crossmember are magnesium. I was hoping for high-strength steel A pillars to reduce their girth but it doesn't look like that happened. (A pillars are ridiculously thick these days; I can't wait for the study that shows the blind spots they create cause accidents...)

.Jinx
As multiple materials are already being used on the C6, how can multilple materials being used on the C7 be a prediction? I would say it is a natural progression.

My C6 has an aluminum frame, carbon fiber fenders, wheelhouses and floorboards(combined with balsa wood). It also has a magnesium engine cradle and roof frame(also used in C6 convertible top frame, C5's wheels and C3/C4's valve covers, and at least one 1953 Corvette left Flint with a magnesium hood). Titanium valves and connecting rods are found in my engine(was also used in the C5's exhaust).

Nothing new in using those materials in a Corvette, so using them in a future Corvette is not breaking new ground.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 frame be all-aluminum?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
As multiple materials are already being used on the C6, how can multilple materials being used on the C7 be a prediction?
It's the future, it's a prediction. And I took his comment:

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The fact that GM can now more effectively weld aluminum to aluminum will help this happen in the C7 and lots of other GM vehicles... I think it is also possible that they could use some mixture of the aluminum, magnesium, steel, NanoSteel, and other materials.
to be about the frame, since that was the topic, not fenders and floorboards, but this wouldn't be Corvette Forum if we weren't all a little too pedantic, would it?

.Jinx
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Pedantic Palace, indeed!!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Your blue devil avatar is clever, but it creeps me the hell out.

Quick Reply: Will C7 frame be all-aluminum?