Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 marketing material.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Understand that the performance will also be like Porsche, not Dodge.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Marketing's function is to get me to buy a product tomorrow.
PR's function is to keep me happy with the product I purchased yesterday, so Marketing has a chance to get me to buy a new product tomorrow.
That is the lamest thing you have written!!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Speaking as a former corporate marketing director, the statement that PR is a part of marketing is correct. The statement that PR's function is to keep you happy with the product you purchased yesterday is incorrect. You are confusing two terms with "relations" in their title. "Customer Relations" is the function that works with existing customers to listen to their complaints, keep them happy, act as a liaison for their interests, etc. "Public Relations" is tasked with spreading news and awareness out to the general marketplace. Part of that may be involved with making sure that existing customers hear about news items and events of interest, but it is more concerned with larger-scale influencers and channels than individual customers.

"Marketing" is a catch-all that involves all these aspects and many more.

Bingo!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
GoldenRod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never expected a car company to provide me with anything except a vehicle I wanted that lived up to expectations. The quality of the product makes me a repeat-buyer, not ****-kissery at the hands of their PR/CR/Marketing department. I want support when I need it, and welcomed silence when I don't.

I think when most people purchase a product, they tend to check the little box that says, in a nutshell, "Don't send me any of your useless propaganda."

That being said, looks like a cool brochure from Porsche. The Boxster is much improved over its early humble performance. I would enjoy having one.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That is the lamest thing you have written!!
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diffe...relations.html

Difference between Marketing and Public Relations
Most people consider 'marketing' and 'public relations' to be the same. This is because the fine line separating these two terms is not very clear. While both are complementary forms of product/service promotion, there are a few differences between marketing and public relations.

But if we are asked the precise difference, we will be at a loss for words. This happens because these two terms have been used too often in each others place. It doesn't help that both these departments are almost always clubbed in most companies. Also, these two activities are interconnected. Maintaining good relations with the public is a very important part of marketing.

According to the American Marketing Association, marketing can be defined as "the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large". Thus, it is a combination of all the activities that help to increase the sale of products, that includes a combination of one or more things among direct marketing, advertising, branding, public relations and other promotional activities.

Public relations (PR), on the other hand, is managing the flow of information between the company and the people, thus maintaining favorable relations between the two. Through PR, the company can keep a tab on the pulse of the market and know the public opinion of its products. It is also considered an investment for the future as a good PR campaign remains strongly embedded in the minds of the people for a longer time.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diffe...relations.html

Difference between Marketing and Public Relations
Most people consider 'marketing' and 'public relations' to be the same. This is because the fine line separating these two terms is not very clear. While both are complementary forms of product/service promotion, there are a few differences between marketing and public relations.

But if we are asked the precise difference, we will be at a loss for words. This happens because these two terms have been used too often in each others place. It doesn't help that both these departments are almost always clubbed in most companies. Also, these two activities are interconnected. Maintaining good relations with the public is a very important part of marketing.

According to the American Marketing Association, marketing can be defined as "the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large". Thus, it is a combination of all the activities that help to increase the sale of products, that includes a combination of one or more things among direct marketing, advertising, branding, public relations and other promotional activities.

Public relations (PR), on the other hand, is managing the flow of information between the company and the people, thus maintaining favorable relations between the two. Through PR, the company can keep a tab on the pulse of the market and know the public opinion of its products. It is also considered an investment for the future as a good PR campaign remains strongly embedded in the minds of the people for a longer time.
Ask the GM guys working the Detroit Auto show if the show is PR or not.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Ask the GM guys working the Detroit Auto show if the show is PR or not.
My Z06's powertrain warranty runs out on July 28, 2013. If my LS7 swallows a valve on August 1, 2013 with under 30,000 miles on the clock, there is nothing that GM's marketing dept can do to get me to buy a 2014 C7. They can talk themselves blue in the face telling me how great the "new and improved" C7 Corvette is and they can display the "new and improved" C7 at every auto show and mall in the country, and they will not get my ear.

Now, on the other hand, if the public relations dept steps in and instructs the service dept to replace the engine under a "goodwill warranty" to keep me a happy camper, then the marketing department has a chance of getting my ear towards me purchasing a "new and improved" C7.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

My Z06's powertrain warranty runs out on July 28, 2013. If my LS7 swallows a valve on August 1, 2013 with under 30,000 miles on the clock, there is nothing that GM's marketing dept can do to get me to buy a 2014 C7. They can talk themselves blue in the face telling me how great the "new and improved" C7 Corvette is and they can display the "new and improved" C7 at every auto show and mall in the country, and they will not get my ear.

Now, on the other hand, if the public relations dept steps in and instructs the service dept to replace the engine under a "goodwill warranty" to keep me a happy camper, then the marketing department has a chance of getting my ear towards me purchasing a "new and improved" C7.
You are talking about Customer relations, which is different than PUBLIC relations. PR is a trade show/events/etc. promotional arm of MARKETING.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow,
I'm learning alot! I always thought Marketing and Public relations were the majors students took in College after they failed out of Science, Pre-med, and Engineering!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Wow,
I'm learning alot! I always thought Marketing and Public relations were the majors students took in College after they failed out of Science, Pre-med, and Engineering!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

You are talking about Customer relations, which is different than PUBLIC relations. PR is a trade show/events/etc. promotional arm of MARKETING.
You are correct that customer relations would be more involved vs public relations in the example I used. But, I don't believe there is a fine line drawn between customer relations and public relations.

Marketing vs Public Relations

The primary function of marketing is product awareness and promotions, while the primary function of public relations involves public perception of the company and brand. One can say that, at times, the inferences gained from a PR campaign form the foundation for the marketing strategies.
1)In marketing, the products are promoted. In public relations, the company is promoted. A PR person promotes the name and image of the entire company while a marketer usually looks at how to promote one product or a product line.
2)Marketing involves selling the goods. Public relations involves selling the brand. A marketing activity is directed at making the products/services seem more appealing to people. PR activities involve making the company more appealing to people.
3)Marketers are trying to see how and at what price goods/services can be sold. PR persons try to gauge public perception and reactions to the product and its marketing strategies. A PR person senses the market for public reaction of previous marketing attempts and impact of the strategies on the public. A marketer can use this valuable information to reposition the product, or stick to the current plan, as required.
4)Marketing is trying to achieve profits. PR is trying to achieve positive reputation. The aim of marketing is to sell the products and achieve profits. PR is like an investment that a company makes for maintaining a positive image in the market, which the company will be able to cash in on in the future as well.
5)Marketing is a wider term which includes all the promotional activities that help boost sales, including public relations. Public relations activity is considered to be a part of the entire marketing strategy of a company.
6)Marketing is an older, more traditional concept of selling. PR is a relatively new concept which sells goods by creating a positive impression of the product among the people. The public relations concept is a new way to look at positive product positioning.
7)Marketing is quite a short-term activity. PR is a long-term activity that bears fruit over a longer period of time. The benefits of a PR program accrue and can be used over an extended period of time.

So, customer relations affect public relations as I, as a unhappy customer with a blown engine, will tell the public(anyone who is willing to listen) about my unhappy experiences with the company, which makes it harder for the company's marketing dept to get them(the public) to forget about what I said about the company and concentrate on the product they are selling.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

That's $15 worth of brochures and shipping. Only a car that has an incredible amount of fluff built in to the price can afford to send out five hundred of those for every sale they actually get.

As far as the purchasing experience, what do I care? I'd like the car to be cleaned and someone to hand me the keys and shake my hand after having given me the most value for my hard earned dollar. Preferably with next to zero miles. I don't need a Starbucks coffee nor a long drawn out description of every feature. And then I need a close and available service department preferably with a loaner car available. I'd rather buy my own coffee and save $15K on the price of the car purchase.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a car that looks like that, Porsche would have been much better off dumping the money spent on the marketing material into the design department. As obviously the designers did not have the resources to make a decent looking car.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
That's $15 worth of brochures and shipping. Only a car that has an incredible amount of fluff built in to the price can afford to send out five hundred of those for every sale they actually get.

As far as the purchasing experience, what do I care? I'd like the car to be cleaned and someone to hand me the keys and shake my hand after having given me the most value for my hard earned dollar. Preferably with next to zero miles. I don't need a Starbucks coffee nor a long drawn out description of every feature. And then I need a close and available service department preferably with a loaner car available. I'd rather buy my own coffee and save $15K on the price of the car purchase.
There is an auto mall in my town that is one of the largest in the country, with at least 2 dozen brands. Three years ago a new Chevy dealer moved in and had to build an entire new building that looked like every other Chevy dealer. I bought my last (of 10) Vettes from them.
Although it was a new building, it still looked cheesy. Desks on the show room floor, not nicely decorated...you know what a Chevy dealer looks like. Quite a difference in contrast to all (except Ford) of the other dealerships. The Caddy dealer is just beautiful inside and out. Same with Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus, Land Rover, Lotus, etc. When I took delivery of my $75K 2010 GS convertible, they handed me the keys, programed my iphone for bluetooth, and said goodbye. A friend of mine was at the same dealer asking a salesman how to remove the targa roof panel on a Z06, and the salesman said he would ask the sales manager. When i picked up my new Porsche Boxster S, they went over everything inside and out, programmed many of the electronics, then the salesman and I went on a drive where many features were pointed out and all of my questions were answered. My point is that I want to see the prospective Corvette buyer, especially the ones that are first time buyers and considering other brands, treated, in every way, like someone interested in a Porsche or Jag or Caddy or Mercedes or BMW. The Vette is no longer a 1970's sports car!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

GM used to have an arm that did nothing but events and shows called GM Rworks,

CaryKen is right on - CRM - Customer Relationship Management is the name for the post sale effort. Those are the guys who should be doling out the goodies and the way cool gifts to owners.

Once upon a time we all got Corvette Quarterly but that died with McCann Erickson getting the boot. My C5 came with a nice video tape about the car. I kinda expected a DVD with the C6, but by 2008 GM was looking at finding ways to cut every corner.

BMW has a very nice magazine that owners get. GM should bring back CQ.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
........ I want the Vette experience to be like Porsche, not Dodge. (I have bought 10 Vettes, so I know of what I speak).
Bought 10 vettes? Well, there you go. You've answered your own question. So tell me again why GM should change the way they do business.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a Mercedes 190E new in 1991. Mercedes STILL sends me a birthday card every year.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 marketing material.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

My C6 came with a DVD that showed general stuff like how to remove/store the targa top and how to put down the convertible top.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by amtronic1
I bought a Mercedes 190E new in 1991. Mercedes STILL sends me a birthday card every year.
You must be special. '94 C280, '97 C36, '01 E55 and Nada for my bdays (that's not North American Dealer Association either).
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Bought 10 vettes? Well, there you go. You've answered your own question. So tell me again why GM should change the way they do business.
Maybe because my last and current car is a Porsche?

Quick Reply: C7 marketing material.