C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM: We changed it so that it would change you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
A similar line fooled a lot of people and worked for Obama.
ninja edit !
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by mo-shy
younger buyer looking for sport car has modern sport car sound, not sound like Truck
Problem is their idea of a sports car sound is a Honda with a fart can. The other problem is internal GM sound limits. The dual mode exhaust is step in the right direction. A big V8 with Supertrapps is what a sports car should sound like... or maybe sidepipes.

If they want a high pitched scream they should get a rotary and put a stright pipe on it. 3 or 4 rotor only makes it moreso.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
What do they say when you tell them (1) how much a fresh set of tires costs and (2) how long they last?

People who talk to me are always encouraged by the price of the car, impressed by the fuel economy, and talked out of it by the cost of the tires. I try to explain the value of great tires, the amortized cost and how much fun it buys, but people who buy their tires at Costco just can't seem to get past the pricetag as anything but outrageous.

And that's why I have more fun than they do

.Jinx
The Michelin A/S tires on my Corvette are getting better mileage than my boss gets on his Lexus IS250. And any vehicle with serious performance tires is going to be close to the same price, and will wear quickly. A set of tires for an Acura TL is going to run from $800 to $1300 plus tax, depending on which tire. The factory tires on my old TL only lasted 30k miles, I expect I will get that on my Michelins.

If you are willing to go with non-run flats you can get a set of Continentals for $950 plus tax on a Corvette Coupe.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Racer X
Problem is their idea of a sports car sound is a Honda with a fart can. The other problem is internal GM sound limits. The dual mode exhaust is step in the right direction. A big V8 with Supertrapps is what a sports car should sound like... or maybe sidepipes.

If they want a high pitched scream they should get a rotary and put a stright pipe on it. 3 or 4 rotor only makes it moreso.
Funny but I do believe you'd get a good deal of disagreement from those driving the likes of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati just to name a few.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Funny but I do believe you'd get a good deal of disagreement from those driving the likes of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati just to name a few.
Which Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati? Have you heard them lately? The good sounding ones were long ago. I don't think the young ones would even know what they sound like. But even those sounded better with side pipes.

The sound of an open header Big Block Chevy is quite sweet.

My guess is that the Ferrari guys hated the beautifull sound of the GT40 with the 427 with snake pipes ate them for lunch.

Again the younger buyers have not likely experienced the sounds the great old sports cars.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Which Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati? Have you heard them lately? The good sounding ones were long ago. I don't think the young ones would even know what they sound like. But even those sounded better with side pipes.

My guess is that the Ferrari guys hated the beautifull sound of the GT40 with the 427 with snake pipes ate them for lunch.

Again the younger buyers have not likely experienced the sounds the great old sports cars.
To you may be, to most of the motoring public not so.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Tagline is dumb. There are too many things in life to worry about, this tagline isn't one of them. The majority of the crap that comes out of a marketing department is nonsense. It has _nothing_ to do with how much I will enjoy the C7.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll tell you what they're thinking. Middle age dude with potbelly and going bald in crisis. Add gold chain and corvette and what do you get?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If that tag line was supposed to get me excited about the next generation Corvette...it failed.
Yea, me neither. But, we're old.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Tagline is dumb. There are too many things in life to worry about, this tagline isn't one of them. The majority of the crap that comes out of a marketing department is nonsense. It has _nothing_ to do with how much I will enjoy the C7.
the only two great tag lines Chevy has done in the last thirty years were "The heartbeat of America" and "Like a Rock." The rest were as forgettable as the new one.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Yea, me neither. But, we're old.
Now if the C7 will put hair back on the top of my head, and remove it from my nose and ears, remove the wrinkles and age spots, and add back in the heart muscle I'll lost due to multiple heart attacts, and remove the damage done by cancer, I'll buy a C7 and tip the salesman $50,000. That's change I can believe in.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

Maybe by speaking about change they feel they will attract a younger/broader audience.

BTW, what do you think is going to be so transformational?
Or how about, The new Corvette,Moving an American icon "FORWARD"
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an adequate line, and I understand why the Corvette folks are investing it. However, personally, I would not tell consumers what to think.

Who's more entertaining at a party? A guy who tells truly funny jokes? Or a guy who says, "I'm funny. Don't forget that I'm humorous."

The key should be to dramatize the change. To bring it to life.

For Corvette, I would put the emphasis on building community. Reach out to Corvette fans and performance car enthusiasts of all skills. Enable people to do more of what they enjoy, both online and in the real world. Eliminate traditional advertising activity in favor of creating memorable experiences and _earning_ word-of-mouth publicity.

Also... Because the ownership experience includes shopping for the right vehicle, buying, servicing, aftermarket and other things over which the Corvette product team has limited control... Chevrolet needs to co-create with its dealership network to build a truly great Corvette brand. That's a tough call, but I believe that it's essential.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree, I think the best sounding car ever is the Aston Vanquish S

I don't care for any open header engine, and I prefer the sound of a small block Chevy. IMHO tied for second best sounding engine.

No clue.

Very possibly correct. They certainly seem to like a tinny fart can over a real robust engine sound.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

...I know they said the only 2 small parts were retained from the C6 and this C7 is a virtually- entirely new design... but...

...from the spy shots and general shape of the car, it still looks like the C6 in general lines and form. No major redesign or style change. The spy pic overall form could easily be mistaken for a C6 so how much did they really change the design? I know they also said that the mules "may be" a combo of C6 and C7 body panels so there is hope.

Don't get me wrong, I have very high hopes for the C7. It's just that there does not seem to be that big a transformation...so far. Not like the difference between say a Ferrari Enzo and a 599. Both unmistakeably Ferrari but very much different and unique looks.

We shall see soon...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
The tagline is probably to get young car enthusiasts/non-Vette fans interested in the C7.
They are so late to this market it's now measured in historical proportions.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unsprung
It's an adequate line, and I understand why the Corvette folks are investing it. However, personally, I would not tell consumers what to think.

Who's more entertaining at a party? A guy who tells truly funny jokes? Or a guy who says, "I'm funny. Don't forget that I'm humorous."

The key should be to dramatize the change. To bring it to life.

For Corvette, I would put the emphasis on building community. Reach out to Corvette fans and performance car enthusiasts of all skills. Enable people to do more of what they enjoy, both online and in the real world. Eliminate traditional advertising activity in favor of creating memorable experiences and _earning_ word-of-mouth publicity.

Also... Because the ownership experience includes shopping for the right vehicle, buying, servicing, aftermarket and other things over which the Corvette product team has limited control... Chevrolet needs to co-create with its dealership network to build a truly great Corvette brand. That's a tough call, but I believe that it's essential.

Get notified of new replies

To GM: We changed it so that it would change you?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 AM
C6-Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I am changing as we speak
"Transformational advancements" i guess the C7 will be able to transform into a giant robot
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
...I know they said the only 2 small parts were retained from the C6 and this C7 is a virtually- entirely new design... but...

...from the spy shots and general shape of the car, it still looks like the C6 in general lines and form. No major redesign or style change. The spy pic overall form could easily be mistaken for a C6 so how much did they really change the design?
Then I will assume that you simply cannot stand what Porsche has done with the 911 series then, correct?
Not only does the brand new generation 911 look an awful lot like the previous one, but it doesn't look all that much different from the one of twenty+ years ago either LOL.
Yet a new Corvette sort of resembles the (awesome looking) one from the year before and everyone about it LOL.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If that tag line was supposed to get me excited about the next generation Corvette...it failed.
Agreed. In fact, it did the exact opposite. My initial thought about what the slogan really means "We know its not what you wanted, but we hope you like it anyway".

Quick Reply: GM: We changed it so that it would change you?