Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 versus the competition

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A much more useful comparison would be HP vs. physical dimensions vs. weight.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Hmmmm ... Looks like this one is heavily biased toward emissions and fuel economy. I'm sure it was a huge challenge to add all the new tech and hardware and still get a power bump over the LS3. Here are the stats that jump out at me.

14 HP more than the LS3, not even close to the LS7 as many had speculated.

A gain of 1 MPG????? WTF???

Heavier than the LS3

Lower redline limit than LS7

Very ugly valve covers. This one looks harder to mod and dress up. I'm sure some enterprising companies will figure out how to unfugly that thing. This motor fell out of the Fugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

The guys at FAST must still be partying. They are going to sell a ton of intakes for this motor!

I will be keeping my Z06
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lighter car, 7 speeds, new engine management system, SAME MPG come on!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
So keekes was right with this one being the LT1

Ok GM so now what is this one
The lower photo shows a PD supercharged engine with a dry sump. Notice no dip stick or oil filler cap on the valve cover. Also notice what appears to be a belt driven oil pump(or maybe the innercooler coolant pump).

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually still dont believe keeks.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
"similar sized" -- I don't see overall engine dimensions above, are these engines really about the same size?
I think by "size" he meant the engines' displacement, not exterior dimensions.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

The thing I noticed about the two keeks cad drawings above is that one has a dipstcik and the other does not. So the larger photo is a dry sump version of the engine.

I cannot tell if it is turbo charged or supercharge although there is some writing on the center cover. There is also an extra tube accross the front of the engine. It is small. I think you can see the scavenge pump on the bottom driver side of the engine.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
The thing I noticed about the two keeks cad drawings above is that one has a dipstcik and the other does not. So the larger photo is a dry sump version of the engine.

I cannot tell if it is turbo charged or supercharge although there is some writing on the center cover. There is also an extra tube accross the front of the engine. It is small. I think you can see the scavenge pump on the bottom driver side of the engine.
Look at the top cover(red). Notice it is bolted in place so that access can be made to the innercooler bricks within. Also notice the location of the air intake/throttle body. It is located to one side as there is a belt driven pully located next to it that drives the supercharger's rotors.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

Really? That's a silly way to compare engines; why would anyone do that?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The Vette will be lighter then all of those and with the exception of the 518 hp (was that it) car thus will beat them all,or should anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

It seems to be a difficult process to find weight and dimensions of engines
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by JWell
I thought I would put together a comparison of the LT1 versus some similarly sized V8s from around the world.

GM LT1 - 6.2L, 16v, pushrod, 103.25 mm x 92 mm, 11.5:1 compression, DI, VVT, DOD, 450+ hp, 450 lb-ft
Ford Boss - 6.2L, 16v, OHC, 102 mm x 95 mm, 9.8:1 compression, VCT, 411 hp, 434 lb-ft
Dodge 392 Hemi - 6.4L, 16v, pushrod, 103.9 mm x 94.6 mm, 10.9:1 compression, VCT, DOD, 470 hp, 470 lb-ft
AMG 6.3 - 6.3L, 32v, DOHC, 102.2 mm x 94.6 mm, 11.3:1 compression, VCT, 518 hp, 465 lb-ft
"similar sized" -- I don't see overall engine dimensions above, are these engines really about the same size?

Originally Posted by robvuk

Not sure if you guys are serious here, just kidding around, or trying to pull someone's chain, but - WTF are you guys saying??? HP/liter - hello? Is that not both a common and relevant measure of comparison?

I know Jinx is familiar with that concept, don't know robvuk well enough to have a clue what he meant.
What am I missing here, other than possibly some intentional word play?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-26-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
So keekes was right with this one being the LT1

Ok GM so now what is this one
LT5
Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No one ever said it was going to be easy! Anything worth doing...
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Not sure if you guys are serious here, just kidding around, or trying to pull someone's chain, but - WTF are you guys saying??? HP/liter - hello? Is that not both a common and relevant measure of comparison?

I know Jinx is familiar with that concept, don't know robvuk well enough to have a clue what he meant.

Read this recent post I made on another thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...post1582159513

I get that horsepower/liter can be relevant in some contexts, especially to engineers interested in specific combustion efficiency separate from what it takes (and costs and weighs and requires space for) beyond the actual volume swept by the piston to achieve it. But all too often people focus on this metric to the exclusion of all else, generally with the specific misguided intent of slamming pushrod engines and the Chevrolet smallblock and the Corvette in particular. Practical matters of the engine as a whole and how it contributes to the vehicle that gives it purpose, both the power it delivers and what it requires, must not be ignored if one is trying to understand and compare the value of a powertrain or a sports car.

.Jinx
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

I assure you I'm not kidding. HP/Liter is totally insignificant in my opinion. If it meant anything to "efficiency", why is it that the small displacement engines with dohc, multi valves, turbos and high horsepower have mpg less than an equivalent engine with twice the displacement? Furthermore, what good is it if it weighs more and takes up more space in the engine compartment? So the only true measure of "performance" is weight, external dimensions and cost of the entire functioning mechanism. THAT to me is efficiency and superior engineering! Sure a small block with turbo's and whatever else bolted onto it with giant dohc heads and a heavy valve train, gets pretty bulky, complex, expensive and heavy.

Think about it this way. If you could have an engine that has 1000hp, takes up the space of a 15" cube and weighs 100 lbs. and got great mileage, would you care if it used pushrods or how many valves and cubic inches the internals are?

Last edited by robvuk; 10-26-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 versus the competition

Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree hp/L means nothing on the street. Hp/tq curves matter most to me, then engine physical size, then displacement.

Hp/tq is for the engineers to figure out and brag. They are given a set of initial goals. If say, the first prototype engines were indeed a 5.5 build, but they could not reach 470hp, then they pick a different engine build. In this case the 6.2 with a 6600rpm redline was obviously enough. Had it not been, we just as easily could have been looking at a 6.5L engine(or even a 377ci-ish engine!) but the goals were met. Had the goals not been achievable, we also could have been looking at some new dohc engine.

That being said, does anyone else think 60lbs over the ls3 sounds a bit extreme? I mean, how much does the direct injection system really weigh. I immediately thought 60+lbs was ridiculously high. While it's still not as top heavy as a dohc v8, its mass, part of the joy of swapping it into other cars, makes other engines look not nearly as bad as the LSx did. Bmw's v8 I remember reading awhile back was the lightest production dohc v8 at I believe 448lbs. Wether that's true or not I dunno, but I know of a couple other engines right around the LT1's weight, like Ford's 4.6 and 5.0.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Hp/tq is for the engineers to figure out and brag. They are given a set of initial goals. If say, the first prototype engines were indeed a 5.5 build, but they could not reach 470hp, then they pick a different engine build. In this case the 6.2 with a 6600rpm redline was obviously enough. Had it not been, we just as easily could have been looking at a 6.5L engine
At one point I had thought that there was a chance that the base car could get a 6.4L or 6.5L engine...and there is still a chance that a future model (Z06? ZR1?) Corvette C7 could include a higher displacement version of this LT1 as well.

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
That being said, does anyone else think 60lbs over the ls3 sounds a bit extreme? I mean, how much does the direct injection system really weigh. I immediately thought 60+lbs was ridiculously high.
Is that 60 pound increase actually confirmed?
I'd heard that it was roughly 40 pounds heavier but not a full 60.
And yes it does sound a bit high.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

If it meant anything to "efficiency", why is it that the small displacement engines with dohc, multi valves, turbos and high horsepower have mpg less than an equivalent engine with twice the displacement?
While we're decrying the misleading or at least incomplete picture that hp/liter paints, let's not do the same by comparing the MPG of cars with significantly different mass and aerodynamics and ascribe all efficiency to the engines.

A big reason for the Corvette smallblock's efficiency is the fact that it's in a very slippery and lightweight package. (Yes, some of that package is allowed by the engine architecture, but a lot of it isn't.)

We might draw some efficiency conclusions about engines in cars to which Corvette is very closely matched like 911 but it starts to get sketchy beyond that.

.Jinx

Quick Reply: LT1 versus the competition