Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Dilemma - Ordering a new Vette

Howdy, newbie here. I'm wanting a new Vette, found this forum and am quite impressed with the content and participation of many posters, so I joined, and here goes;

I'm finally in a position financially to drop the cash on a new Vette. I was set on ordering a base model 1LT with some options, or perhaps a 2LT 2013 C6 in crystal red tintcoat, 6 speed manual, chrome wheels, spoiler, and call it good at around $53,000 MSRP.

In veiwing several informative posts by Ken Fichtner, I've learned that the cutoff date for a guaranteed build on sold orders by GM on a 2013 C6 was late October 2012. I wanted to wait untill after the presidential election was decided before placing an order, because if the occupant of the White house gets re-elected, I will hold off and sit on my cash and see what is left of our America, then decide. (Sorry to get political, but this is a deal breaker with me)

So, we now understand that GM has a C7 coming out next year, but won't even build the first one untill June/July 2013, which likey means a late summer 2013 delivery, then a month or two of play with it, and right into storage. Not that this time frame is a necessarily a deal breaker, however there ARE some potential deal breakers as I type this - namely the unknowns like body styling, colors, pricing, and dare I even bring up possible Camaro style tail lights!

This quandry is no bitch mind you, rather a nice problem to have, if you will. I'm just wondering how many other of you gents are sitting on the same fence, waiting to see what the voters decide, coupled with what GM gives us with the new C7.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait for C7. Don't buy a car that's phasing out. Every time you see a new one, you kick yourself why you didn't buy the new one (that happened to me) and yours will depreciate value very fast when the new one come out. If you can wait another year, then wait, if not then (I don't know what to tell you) :-)
Good luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the Big Reveal in January the price of C6s will start heading down fast. You can take advantage of that if you're just patient for two more months.

The depreciation on a one year old Corvette can be painful to the owner, and if it's one year old and a different model as well it could really sting.

You might like the C6 more than the C7, but then again maybe not.

JMHO.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Im in the same situation and it is a good predicament indeed.
This year my company gave out huge raises, and I'm in a position to buy comfortably. But I'm waiting for the c7. At the very least if you wait you will get a much better deal as there will be huge depreciation between Jan-Production on used. Just look at the deals on new base coupes right now and the c7 has not been revealed yet.

About the election, don't worry buddy. Between the polls and prediction models it looks like we are taking the white house back as far as I can tell. Yep, you heard it on CF first.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Blaacky
6th Gear

I have to second these thoughts as well. I currently own a 2002 Z06 with 6000 miles on it and am looking to get something faster. Recently I've been looking for a super low mile ZR1 maybe a year or two old. I found a 2009 with 800 miles on it, black on black with the 3LZ package on it for $89,000. It was sold within three days before I found the ad. It's kind of difficult to find a similar car in black so I too am in this predicament. I have to admit I even considered the new viper as it releases in November and will deliver around December or January. However, being a vette owner for several years SRT is a joke to deal with and I won't be part of it. For the last couple years I've waited for the C7 to make its appearance and quite honestly it's taken so long. we now know it's coming, seen some spy shots of it and have a fair amount of information along with a release date. but is going with a ZR one a better option? Considering the new C7 may not even launch with a ZR1version. I read the possibility of a V-6 twin turbo, no thanks. Not to mention if you factor in the depreciation of the C6 ZR1 you could get more bang for the buck. But that's only if the ZR one depreciates along with the rest of its generation. I think the ZR1 might depreciate as much as its lesser of the generation. Bottom line is I'm confused as hell too, lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Keep in mind that the C7's will probably be sold at MSRP at best. So figure you will hold on to the C7 for a few years......guess wha,t you will take a bigger depreciation hit as the large dealers will begin to discount the C7's after the initial 1st year wave. So your choice buy the C6 now at very good prices, buy the C7 at max prices next year, or wait until 2015, 2016 when C7 prices come down from MSRP.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Maybe you shouldn't buy a GM product because you and your candidates of choice didn't support saving US auto manufacturing and specifically GM. And you still don't since you still support Mitt. Thank God for Bush II and Obama soon after salvaging the US auto industry not to mention preventing the Great Recession from turning in to a true Depression.

Lastly, you would have to be some kind of idiot to deny yourself happiness and success because you don't like the president. I have customers that say "I won't buy unless this ****** is out. Oh by the way I've had my best year ever and I have a stack of contracts waiting on me to buy more equipment, but I refuse because of Obama. It's Obama's fault." Yah whatever dude. Quit making money and living your life because you are mad at Obama. Maybe you should punch yourself in the face while you are at it to express your dislike of the president?

Here is a news flash for ya: I'm waiting on buying a $450K home because if Mitt does what he says he is going to do (5 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthy plus 2 trillion in additional miitary spending) while remaining revenue neutral as he claims, the only way he could possibly pay for such spending is by reducing or getting rid of child deductions and home mortgage deductions. Leaving me high and dry w/ a house that will quickly lose value w/ the tax advantages of home ownership reduced.

The reality is that I am firmly in a middle class profession (trucking) but I personally earn commisions that put me in the 96 percentile of US income earners. But I recognize that if my customers have less $, that I will make less as well. After my second record year in a row no less. So I don't want Mitt's little pittance of a $2K Federal income tax break while he gets a 10 million dollar tax break and I lose deductions and my customers go broke.

You should buy Japanese or German imo. Too bad China doesn't build a sports car yet eh?

Alright, I'm done ranting...

On a non-politial note. I'd suggest buying a used C6 as the depreciation will be minimized and you can wait to see how the C7 turns out over the next couple of years. If you live in a snow climate, well you could also just wait until next season and decide then based on C7 reports and dropping C6 prices.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Aww, how cute was that rant?

Is somebody working on their Poly-Sci major? That's nice.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 200 MPH
This quandry is no bitch mind you, rather a nice problem to have, if you will. I'm just wondering how many other of you gents are sitting on the same fence, waiting to see what the voters decide, coupled with what GM gives us with the new C7.
If Romney and Obama are our only choices, than who ends up winning it is not going to have that significant of an impact on your wallet. That much I can almost assure you.

Other than that, I'm in a fairly similar situation. I've been looking forward to the C7 for years, but as little tidbits of info have been released, I've become a bit skeptical. No DCT (apparently), LT1 sounds like it may be underwhelming... So I may end up just looking for one of the remaining C6's on dealer lots and get one of those on the cheap.

I think we should know what we want to do by January 13th, 2013... As you noted, it's already too late to special order, so at this point, you might as well just wait until then and see what happens. That day should make it pretty clear what the best choice is, I think.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I think we should know what we want to do by January 13th, 2013... As you noted, it's already too late to special order, so at this point, you might as well just wait until then and see what happens. That day should make it pretty clear what the best choice is, I think.
Exact situation that I am in. If I don't like the C7 when we know for sure what it is, I plan on getting an in-stock C6 GS from one of the forum dealers.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

There is an old conventional wisdom that decries buying any GM product in its first model year. The 2005 C6 was a better car than the C5 it replaced but still had a few bugs.

I'd really consider a new C6 - its the peak of the generation. You'll be able to get a 427 3LT for what you're seeing for that 2LT now. The manaul trans may be hard to find, but the deals will be good.

Keep it for three years and then swap it on a C7 with all the kinks worked out.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
383LPE
Drifting

sounds like a troll from a lib basement op res outfit denying himself happiness and success because he cant use tax loophole's.... idiot

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Maybe you shouldn't buy a GM product because you and your candidates of choice didn't support saving US auto manufacturing and specifically GM. And you still don't since you still support Mitt. Thank God for Bush II and Obama soon after salvaging the US auto industry not to mention preventing the Great Recession from turning in to a true Depression.

Lastly, you would have to be some kind of idiot to deny yourself happiness and success because you don't like the president. I have customers that say "I won't buy unless this ****** is out. Oh by the way I've had my best year ever and I have a stack of contracts waiting on me to buy more equipment, but I refuse because of Obama. It's Obama's fault." Yah whatever dude. Quit making money and living your life because you are mad at Obama. Maybe you should punch yourself in the face while you are at it to express your dislike of the president?

Here is a news flash for ya: I'm waiting on buying a $450K home because if Mitt does what he says he is going to do (5 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthy plus 2 trillion in additional miitary spending) while remaining revenue neutral as he claims, the only way he could possibly pay for such spending is by reducing or getting rid of child deductions and home mortgage deductions. Leaving me high and dry w/ a house that will quickly lose value w/ the tax advantages of home ownership reduced.

The reality is that I am firmly in a middle class profession (trucking) but I personally earn commisions that put me in the 96 percentile of US income earners. But I recognize that if my customers have less $, that I will make less as well. After my second record year in a row no less. So I don't want Mitt's little pittance of a $2K Federal income tax break while he gets a 10 million dollar tax break and I lose deductions and my customers go broke.

You should buy Japanese or German imo. Too bad China doesn't build a sports car yet eh?

Alright, I'm done ranting...

On a non-politial note. I'd suggest buying a used C6 as the depreciation will be minimized and you can wait to see how the C7 turns out over the next couple of years. If you live in a snow climate, well you could also just wait until next season and decide then based on C7 reports and dropping C6 prices.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 383LPE
sounds like a troll from a lib basement op res outfit denying himself happiness and success because he cant use tax loophole's.... idiot
Sorry but I'm not fluent in gibberish. Come again?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
There is an old conventional wisdom that decries buying any GM product in its first model year. The 2005 C6 was a better car than the C5 it replaced but still had a few bugs.

I'd really consider a new C6 - its the peak of the generation. You'll be able to get a 427 3LT for what you're seeing for that 2LT now. The manaul trans may be hard to find, but the deals will be good.

Keep it for three years and then swap it on a C7 with all the kinks worked out.
I concur with this plan of action.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
MickeyD
Racer

Geez guys, buy your Vette and buy your house! Quit living your life by who is or who may be President. They don't make the economy, we do. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Maybe you shouldn't buy a GM product because you and your candidates of choice didn't support saving US auto manufacturing and specifically GM.
With taxpayer dollars. But nice try.

Thanks for your input. Be sure to cast your vote Weds Nov 7th
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd wait and see the C7. If you don't like it C6's will still be on the lots.

Get notified of new replies

To Dilemma - Ordering a new Vette

Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

With taxpayer dollars. But nice try.

Thanks for your input. Be sure to cast your vote Weds Nov 7th
I had a long post all typed up w/ quotes and statistics but then I realized that many members here are trying to stay focused on what we are all here to really learn about, the C7! So I'm veering this back to cars and apologize for contributing to us getting way off point.

So instead, I will just thank you for supporting a good American company and their products thru the purchasing of a brand new Vette. This support is a major factor in me shopping for GM products and maybe it is for you as well.

Good Luck w/ whatever you get but I'm a newest greatest thing kind of guy and am waiting until we know more about the C7 before deciding anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

because if the occupant of the White house gets re-elected, I will hold off and sit on my cash and see what is left of our America...
you're not alone with that.

Originally Posted by guy in a cult

Lastly, you would have to be some kind of idiot to deny yourself happiness and success because you don't like the president.

You are funny !

keep watchig CNN and MSNBC; we need the laughs.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

I understand the political representation is going to be skewed a certain direction on a Corvette forum, which is why everyone is giving S_PSD so much crap, but this right here is pretty much on point. As I was getting at in my last post, it's so inexplicably foolish to deny yourself something you want because of who's in office. For so, so many reasons...

Quick Reply: Dilemma - Ordering a new Vette