C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, now that I've seen the C&D pictures ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Default So, now that I've seen the C&D pictures ...

I'm assuming the latest Car and Driver renderings are pretty much right on. They probably are, especially since they are also very close to the Jalopnik pictures.

I keep looking at these pictures and always come away with the same feeling ... meh. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking car and another evolutionary step in the development of the Corvette. Somehow I just expected more. It really doesn't "blow me away" at all. It looks like they sharpened the C6, added some creases, and changed the roof line a bit. Again, a nice looking car, but not one that screams "buy me now!"

I haven't seen any renderings of the new interior, which is supposed to be a huge upgrade. The new transmissions and engine improvements will all add to the C7, but the basic style seems just a bit underwhelming to me right now.

Perhaps when I get to actually see, and sit in, the real car I'll be more impressed. For now, however, I can't help but feeling that I wish they had done a little more with the re-design.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The more I look at the c&d renderings the more I like it. I like the side profile. I think I'll love it in person. I'm worried bout liking the huge back glass and the taillights
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
The more I look at the c&d renderings the more I like it. I like the side profile. I think I'll love it in person. I'm worried bout liking the huge back glass and the taillights
I don't disagree that it's a nice looking car. I was just hoping for something that was well beyond nice ... something that would make people really lust for it. Sales are weak, and the design team had to hit a home run with the C7. The C7 has to bring new buyers into the market, not just buyers who want to upgrade from an older version of the car. I'm not so sure this design will do that. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with that. I was hoping for much much more. I'm awaiting zr1 specs too
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Stan, from what I am seeing it is going to be an "edgier" design - not aimed at folks in the age range you and I (and many other Corvette owners) are. I am sure they are trying to walk a fine line between appealing to younger folks while not alienating the 60 year olds.

My attitude all along is that I don't like what I'm seeing, but I suspect that with a little time I'll be okay with it when I see it in the flesh. But I do not think it's going to be love at first sight for me. I'd rather see an Aston Martin inspired design than an Italia 458 inspired design. But I think we are going to get the later.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

OK,no hood scoops that the actual car does have and they are visible in that video thing.I don't think this is as close as some would think,personally.If it is,I like my c6 better. And the crossed flags logo is wrong.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
OK,no hood scoops that the actual car does have and they are visible in that video thing.I don't think this is as close as some would think,personally.If it is,I like my c6 better. And the crossed flags logo is wrong.
That's not the latest C&D cover.
Their new one is pretty much the Jalopnik car...in red.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

link?? This?? Still don't like it.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 11-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

First premise that the recent car and driver properly depicts c7 corvette is incorrect.

Wait till January 13th release to decide
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM
JPJR
Pro

Originally Posted by StanNH
I'm assuming the latest Car and Driver renderings are pretty much right on. They probably are, especially since they are also very close to the Jalopnik pictures.

I keep looking at these pictures and always come away with the same feeling ... meh. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking car and another evolutionary step in the development of the Corvette. Somehow I just expected more. It really doesn't "blow me away" at all. It looks like they sharpened the C6, added some creases, and changed the roof line a bit. Again, a nice looking car, but not one that screams "buy me now!"

I haven't seen any renderings of the new interior, which is supposed to be a huge upgrade. The new transmissions and engine improvements will all add to the C7, but the basic style seems just a bit underwhelming to me right now.

Perhaps when I get to actually see, and sit in, the real car I'll be more impressed. For now, however, I can't help but feeling that I wish they had done a little more with the re-design.
Totally,

Is resentment one of the 7 stages of depression, or whatever?
I'm feeling it now.

I resent Chevy for not changing anything on the design, after the uproar over the Jalopnik car.
Come on, the rear is hideous!
I think it was Keeks that mentioned a GM engineer said something like this..."They got over the exposed headlights on the C6, they'll get over the taillights on this one".

I resent all the annoying teaser videos that barely show anything.
OK, we got the new gauge cluster in the last one, with a C6 image in the middle of it, but that's only because we dissected it piece by piece, and posted screenshots.
We all know what it's going to look like, show us a clear, in focus picture of something!

I resent that my hopes are now crushed for a design that makes me say, "I WANT THAT".

I resent that I am having to look at this car and tell myself, "OK, it' s not that bad, it'll grow on me, it'll be better in person.
I've seen these basically identical pictures since last November, and it has not grown on me at all.

I resent that Chevy has made me consider a Porsche, because I'm all about made in the USA.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

It looks like they sharpened the C6, added some creases, and changed the roof line a bit.
Absolutely thinking the same. Imagine the C7 vert? It is looking like it will be so C6 like, the uninformed will probably not realize the difference.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by JPJR
OK, we got the new gauge cluster in the last one, with a C6 image in the middle of it, but that's only because we dissected it piece by piece, and posted screenshots.
In this digital INTERNET age, I am 100% certain that GM new and designed the clips for being dissected to get the slightest detail. The dissection actually creates more engagement with the video. People will think they have gotten some detail because GM "slipped up" in the editing. There is nothing in the videos that GM did not intend for us to see. They have purposefully hidden brief "easter eggs" for us to find when we are fully engaged with the video.

The clips are working as designed.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the front and the sides! Is it enough to make we want to buy one...no. That being said, the rear is just ridiculous!! I don't know who they are trying to appeal to but it looks like they all fired up a crack-pipe one night and then started working on the rear when they were all stoned out of their gourds!!! Hopefully the real C7 rear doesn't look so weird!!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
In this digital INTERNET age, I am 100% certain that GM new and designed the clips for being dissected to get the slightest detail. The dissection actually creates more engagement with the video. People will think they have gotten some detail because GM "slipped up" in the editing. There is nothing in the videos that GM did not intend for us to see. They have purposefully hidden brief "easter eggs" for us to find when we are fully engaged with the video.

The clips are working as designed.
Bullseye
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Stan, from what I am seeing it is going to be an "edgier" design - not aimed at folks in the age range you and I (and many other Corvette owners) are. I am sure they are trying to walk a fine line between appealing to younger folks while not alienating the 60 year olds.

My attitude all along is that I don't like what I'm seeing, but I suspect that with a little time I'll be okay with it when I see it in the flesh. But I do not think it's going to be love at first sight for me. I'd rather see an Aston Martin inspired design than an Italia 458 inspired design. But I think we are going to get the later.
Originally Posted by JPJR
Totally,

Is resentment one of the 7 stages of depression, or whatever?
I'm feeling it now.

I resent Chevy for not changing anything on the design, after the uproar over the Jalopnik car.
Come on, the rear is hideous!
I think it was Keeks that mentioned a GM engineer said something like this..."They got over the exposed headlights on the C6, they'll get over the taillights on this one".

We all know what it's going to look like, show us a clear, in focus picture of something!

I resent that my hopes are now crushed for a design that makes me say, "I WANT THAT".

I resent that I am having to look at this car and tell myself, "OK, it' s not that bad, it'll grow on me, it'll be better in person.
I've seen these basically identical pictures since last November, and it has not grown on me at all.

I resent that Chevy has made me consider a Porsche, because I'm all about made in the USA.
I agree with all the above - except for considering a Porsche!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

The more I see the C&D pics, the more I see what they got wrong. And its a lot!! front fenders, are wrong, hood is wrong, back hatch is wrong... There's no way you can judge the C7 based on this or any of the renderings, they may get major aspects close to what it will be, but there's a lot of details the're way off on and those little details make a big difference when interpreting the over-all scope of a design.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
The more I see the C&D pics, the more I see what they got wrong. And its a lot!! front fenders, are wrong, hood is wrong, back hatch is wrong... There's no way you can judge the C7 based on this or any of the renderings, they may get major aspects close to what it will be, but there's a lot of details the're way off on and those little details make a big difference when interpreting the over-all scope of a design.

This is correct. All these little details and dimensional inaccuracies start to add up and make for a different car.

Get notified of new replies

To So, now that I've seen the C&D pictures ...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
RICHARDS 97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ye of little faith! The magazine will publish anything for sales.
Corvettes have always been the best looking cars on the road and I do not think GM will let us down. Patience Grasshopper! j/k
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARDS 97
Oh ye of little faith! The magazine will publish anything for sales.
Corvettes have always been the best looking cars on the road and I do not think GM will let us down. Patience Grasshopper! j/k
Your positive outlook has no value in this thread. Please keep your negativity and disappointment at the forefront of any discussions, and do not consider that the actual production car may have a different presence than the computer generated estimates portray.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM
JPJR
Pro

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Your positive outlook has no value in this thread. Please keep your negativity and disappointment at the forefront of any discussions, and do not consider that the actual production car may have a different presence than the computer generated estimates portray.

Yeah, this is the "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" thread!

Quick Reply: So, now that I've seen the C&D pictures ...