Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more thing about the C7 rear...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Default One more thing about the C7 rear...

After reading through several of the countless threads on the C7 rear I have to make this observation.

The real issue isn't if the Corvette is going to have the Camaro rear, the issue that everyone should have asked when the Camaro was released should have been... why the hell would GM ever put a four tail light style signature on anything other than a Corvette?

I've heard so much whining about "square tail lamps" "square tail lights" "slanted lights" "angled lights" etc...it doesn't matter. The C4 had square tail lamps on it too. I've always shaken my head at GM when they put the four tail lamp design on something other than a Vette when they did it with the Camaro. Regardless, it is still distinctive Corvette. It just has to share "the look" now with another GM car.

The bottom line is, you might just have to embrace the suck and live with it. 30% of the people complaining on here about the rear of the C7 from the Jalopnik photos are probably gonna end up buying one anyway.

The car is gonna be gorgeous.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Very Valid comments

I too have wondered why GM placed Corvette style lighting on other GM models, such as the Camaro. The four light arrangement historically has always been saved for the Corvette.
Thanks for you thoughts Adrian.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
The four light arrangement historically has always been saved for the Corvette.
Seriously? The 1958 Biscayne had 'em, as did the 1960 through '65 Biscaynes, so I guess the Vette must have stolen the arrangement in '61.

Not to mention the 1970 Camaro, only 9 years after the first ever four light Vette appeared.

We're making way too much of this. The azz-end resemblance will be familial at best -- the C7 rear will look much less like the current Camaro's than did the 1970 Vette vs. the 1970 Camaro.

I'm getting excited about the C7, and I believe the marketplace will see the rear styling to be a big improvement on the big-butt C5's and the nearly-as-big tuchused C6's.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Luna
After reading through several of the countless threads on the C7 rear I have to make this observation.

The real issue isn't if the Corvette is going to have the Camaro rear, the issue that everyone should have asked when the Camaro was released should have been... why the hell would GM ever put a four tail light style signature on anything other than a Corvette?

I've heard so much whining about "square tail lamps" "square tail lights" "slanted lights" "angled lights" etc...it doesn't matter. The C4 had square tail lamps on it too. I've always shaken my head at GM when they put the four tail lamp design on something other than a Vette when they did it with the Camaro. Regardless, it is still distinctive Corvette. It just has to share "the look" now with another GM car.

The bottom line is, you might just have to embrace the suck and live with it. 30% of the people complaining on here about the rear of the C7 from the Jalopnik photos are probably gonna end up buying one anyway.
The car is gonna be gorgeous.
I can PROMISE you that if it looks like the renderings I WON'T be in that 30% and I don't have to live with it, I would never buy one with a rear looking like that!! It isn't just the squarish-taillights, it's the whole masked-bandit look of them. IMO, that is the dumbest-looking thing I have ever seen on a vehicle!! The front and sides looks pretty good and I would probably end up buying one if the rear looked good too but the if that's what we have to live with, I'll just laugh everytime I see one.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Seriously? The 1958 Biscayne had 'em, as did the 1960 through '65 Biscaynes, so I guess the Vette must have stolen the arrangement in '61.
Don't forget the Impala, Bel Air, and El Camino had them in 1960 as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

It's simple: to reduce costs. Porsche did the same thing with the first two iterations of the Boxster which shared the front ends with the 911. Of course the 981 Boxster is distinctive and to many looks better than the 991 which is morphing into more of a touring car.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I would prefer four round taillghts as well, but could be OK with some other configuration provided it is attractive. What I've seen so far, however, is not. We'll have to wait until 1/13 to know for sure. My dealer will accept deposits on the C7 beginning on Jan. 1st and I plan to do so. After the 13th it may be applied to another C6...
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
zorasdream
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I would prefer four round taillghts as well, but could be OK with some other configuration provided it is attractive. What I've seen so far, however, is not. We'll have to wait until 1/13 to know for sure. My dealer will accept deposits on the C7 beginning on Jan. 1st and I plan to do so. After the 13th it may be applied to another C6...

Perfectly said . I'm in the same boat Rear does not look attractive and I think many potential customers will not buy because of rear alone. But Keeks said that the corvette team said " we'll have to get used to it the way we got used to non pop headlights " I will never get used to that ugly rear.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Ugh! Ever seen 70's Camaros??

Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Cobalt anyone ??
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

And don't forget that every Corvair coupe, convertible, sedan and wagon from 1960 to '69 had four separate round taillights.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
And don't forget that every Corvair coupe, convertible, sedan and wagon from 1960 to '69 had four separate round taillights.

I still get angry how Ralph Nader killed the Corvair. It like the Volt was ahead of its time.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Ralph Nader is a buffoon.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Ralph Nader is a buffoon.
Is now, was then, and gets way too much cred.

Back on topic -- what the heck was the poster going on about "reduced costs" smoking? The parts will not be remotely interchangeable and not a penny was "saved" in the design of the C7 tail lights.

Oh, and N2O -- that '70 Camaro was, and is, considered a classic -- arguably a more beautifully integrated design that the C3 (not that many on this Forum will buy that argument )
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

This is all a part of GM's plan. They designed the Camaro knowing what they were doing with the C7.

The C7 isn't about us. It isn't about those of us Corvette enthusiasts. It's about everyone else. It's about younger potential buyers. It's about expanding the brand name and improving Chevy's image outside of its current following.

The C7 styling has everything to do with luring in new demographics. If you drive around a college campus, chances are you'll see a new Camaro. [Unless it's a professor,] you probably won't see a C6 Corvette.

That's how I'm interpretting it all, anyway. And that's all fine with me, as a Corvette "purist." Because regardless of what the C7 looks like, once you get behind the wheel, I am confident in saying that it will be an epic experience.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
This is all a part of GM's plan. They designed the Camaro knowing what they were doing with the C7.......................The C7 styling has everything to do with luring in new demographics. If you drive around a college campus, chances are you'll see a new Camaro. [Unless it's a professor,] you probably won't see a C6 Corvette.
You're naive if you believe the reason you see more Camaros than C6s on college campuses is because of the tail lights
It might have something to do with the fact that they produced more Camaros in 2010 alone than total Corvettes from 2005-2011 and the fact that you can pick up a new Camaro for 1/2 the price of a Corvette...

Get notified of new replies

To One more thing about the C7 rear...

Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
C5Vert04
Advanced

Cant say im a huge fan of the C7 azz end renderings but Im gonna wait till I see the car in person. I wasnt a huge fan of the C5 when it came out after owning 2 C4's but it grew on me and I enventually bought one. Personally the C6Z is the best looking vette ever. I was in love with it at first sight and bought one that I will keep a long time. If the C7 has the same effect, square taillights or not, one will get parked next to my C6Z. As for GMs idea of going after younger demographics, how many 25 year olds are going to be able to afford a $70k car? Thats what its gonna cost for a coupe after options and taxes. I dont think many. GM needs to listen to current owners if they want the C7 to be a sales success, we are the true fan base. The younger rice rocket and pony car fans usually dont buy new vettes and wont because of the cost. How many 25 yr olds do you see driving new 911's, Viper's, GTR's GT500's or ZL1's? Not the wisest marketing move for GM to try and cater to that market for C7 in my opinion. The base C7 will be a true high end sports car, not a teenage pony car. Just my 2 cents, not knocking the pony cars or younger owners, just stating opinion. Whew, feel better now.....
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Spy Shot of C7 Corvette.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dblerman
You're naive if you believe the reason you see more Camaros than C6s on college campuses is because of the tail lights
It might have something to do with the fact that they produced more Camaros in 2010 alone than total Corvettes from 2005-2011 and the fact that you can pick up a new Camaro for 1/2 the price of a Corvette...
That wasn't the point. Someone buying a new Camaro could spend a similar amount of money on a used C5 (maybe even an early C6) if they wanted to. Most don't. There's a gap in the demographic of Vette and Camaro owners.

Quick Reply: One more thing about the C7 rear...