Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will the Back seat:
Turn ON Potential Customers
23.71%
Turn OFF Potential Customers
76.29%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I agree ..there is something special and tight with the 2 seat layout.

The 6th gen camaro will meet the 2 plus 2 consumer need....

Emergency rear seats are best left to camaro....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
The couple people who are in favor of a back seat... or even those neutral about it... just don't get it. Brings to mind the saying: "If I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand".

It's like politics. If you try to be everything to everybody, then nothing good happens. It WOULD destroy the essence of the Corvette to a large percentage of enthusiasts.

Just because the Corvette has changed over the years is a weak analogy. The CORE of it's essence is a 2-seat sports car. It is AMERICA's 2-seat sports car (the Viper is a Johnny come lately with none of the Heritage of the Vette).

Thankfully even GM is not that stupid, so I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
Oh yeah, the 'purity' argument...I wonder how that is working for Ferrari with the FF? You think people aren't going to buy a Ferrari now that they offer a 4 seat, AWD vehicle because of purity?

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The couple people who are in favor of a back seat... or even those neutral about it... just don't get it. Brings to mind the saying: "If I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand".

It's like politics. If you try to be everything to everybody, then nothing good happens. It WOULD destroy the essence of the Corvette to a large percentage of enthusiasts.

Just because the Corvette has changed over the years is a weak analogy. The CORE of it's essence is a 2-seat sports car. It is AMERICA's 2-seat sports car (the Viper is a Johnny come lately with none of the Heritage of the Vette).

Thankfully even GM is not that stupid, so I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
Agree completely! It would add way to much length and weight. Wouldn't even be worth calling it a Corvette anymore.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Oh yeah, the 'purity' analogy...I wonder how that is working for Ferrari with the FF? You think people aren't going to buy a Ferrari now that they offer a 4 seat, AWD vehicle because of purity?
You just won't get it. Even if you don't understand why 80% of the forum in this poll voted against it, GM will.

GM would understand the economics of alienating 80% of their Corvette customer base.

The Corvette is a niche car. It is not supposed to replace your mini van.

To further demonstrate your faulty reasoning, in your Ferrari example you confused a manufacturer with an individual model. That completely nullifies what you must have thought was logical.

I'm going to type this slowly for you:

Ferrari = Chevrolet = Manufacturer.

Ferrari has several models of car. Chevrolet has many.

Corvette = model of car. There is no car company called Corvette.

Those who want a niche car buy this model. Those who don't buy another model.

Because Ferrari makes a 4 seater model is not ruining their brand because they are a M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R.

Last edited by TWS Racing; 12-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Hellooo Justin,
I think you misunderstand me Justin about this 2+2 thing.. I hope the C7 just works, that's all. Ultimately it doesn't matter about the seats and I just want it to excel , but because of the way you react to this 2+2 stuff I will just go nuts with maniacal laughter if this sucker has an extra seat !

And I will name those seats the " Justin seats " ! The kids will love that !
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Here is a thought with a question. If they build both a 2 seater and a 2+2 C7 at BG, could they both go down the same line? Or would a second line with its specific tooling be necessary? Costs associated with these strategies would be more complex?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gm said "nothing will be the same" and "changing it so it can change you"(or something like that). You never know. A lot of things are different apparently. What would they of changed that's so drastic that we can point out already? Enough to make quotes about the change of the car. Must be something more than different taillights.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Here is a thought with a question. If they build both a 2 seater and a 2+2 C7 at BG, could they both go down the same line? Or would a second line with its specific tooling be necessary? Costs associated with these strategies would be more complex?
You're right...Ford can do it. Chevy can't
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

You just won't get it. Even if you don't understand why 80% of the forum in this poll voted against it, GM will.

GM would understand the economics of alienating 80% of their Corvette customer base.

The Corvette is a niche car. It is not supposed to replace your mini van.

To further demonstrate your faulty reasoning, in your Ferrari example you confused a manufacturer with an individual model. That completely nullifies what you must have thought was logical.

I'm going to type this slowly for you:

Ferrari = Chevrolet = Manufacturer.

Ferrari has several models of car. Chevrolet has many.

Corvette = model of car. There is no car company called Corvette.

Those who want a niche car buy this model. Those who don't buy another model.

Because Ferrari makes a 4 seater model is not ruining their brand because they are a M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R.
Let me type this slowly...base (narrow) Corvette...Z51...GS....Z06(and Z07)...ZR1. Add another model to that. It would be as easy to do as it is for Ferrari (FF) or Porsche (Panamera). Both major sellers for their brand.

80% of the 100 guys who might have answered that poll MIGHT represent .05% of existing Corvette owners. It probably represents .005% of P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L Corvette owners.

BTW, it sure as heck wouldn't be replacing anyone's mini van. Maybe a Panamera...

Niche car's can have their niche expanded without destroying their essence. It is just a matter of getting beyond close-minded 'purity' thinking. It's all about expanding the audience and sales.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

I hope they don't do 2+2. Cuz then I'd reallly want one. Along with some ford guys on the local forum. A LOT of people really like Corvettes. But a lot of people buy camaros or mustangs instead cuz the back seat. I can see it either way. It's a personal preference thing imo
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
I hope they don't do 2+2. Cuz then I'd reallly want one. Along with some ford guys on the local forum. A LOT of people really like Corvettes. But a lot of people buy camaros or mustangs instead cuz the back seat. I can see it either way. It's a personal preference thing imo
That's the point, give them a choice. That doesn't mean you have to STOP making a Corvette two-seater.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

I suspect we are still far apart as to our thinking.

Corvette is still a model of car. Even if there are different trim levels or variants or sub models or whatever we want to label it. And the soul of that model is a 2-seat sports car.

If you look at the niche concept... It is something many businesses struggle with. Call it growing pains or whatever. Once an "exclusive" brand starts to expand, it may win some new buyers but lose the original cachet and therefore lose former customers who would have bought another one, but now won't because the product has become something else.

If Chevy wants to make something "like" a Corvette with a rear seat, but NOT call it a Corvette, and it's creation would have no impact on the physical characteristics of the Corvette, then I could care less. In other words, you crazy guys who want a 4 seater can have it, but don't F&@% up "our" 2-seat sports car.

[But it would then compete in the market segment with the Camaro - 4 seat sporty car - so they would steal sales away from each other. I don't see it happening.]
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Price difference and looks though. Two different categories too
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I suspect we are still far apart as to our thinking.

Corvette is still a model of car. Even if there are different trim levels or variants or sub models or whatever we want to label it. And the soul of that model is a 2-seat sports car.

If you look at the niche concept... It is something many businesses struggle with. Call it growing pains or whatever. Once an "exclusive" brand starts to expand, it may win some new buyers but lose the original cachet and therefore lose former customers who would have bought another one, but now won't because the product has become something else.

If Chevy wants to make something "like" a Corvette with a rear seat, but NOT call it a Corvette, and it's creation would have no impact on the physical characteristics of the Corvette, then I could care less. In other words, you crazy guys who want a 4 seater can have it, but don't F&@% up "our" 2-seat sports car.

[But it would then compete in the market segment with the Camaro - 4 seat sporty car - so they would steal sales away from each other. I don't see it happening.]
So let me ask you this. If Cadillac goes through with their plans to make a high-po two-seat sports car, do you think that is a great idea or not? Would it compete with the Corvette? Would it mess with the Cadillac niche?

I have never said Corvette should not have a two-seater.

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
Price difference and looks though. Two different categories too
Maybe Chevy can build a Cor-maro for you and Blue Ox.

Just teasing.

I still maintain from a marketing standpoint and exclusivity standpoint, there needs to be that sharp divide.

A "Cor-maro" would dilute that divide.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

So let me ask you this. If Cadillac goes through with their plans to make a high-po two-seat sports car, do you think that is a great idea or not? Would it compete with the Corvette? Would it mess with the Cadillac niche?

I have never said Corvette should not have a two-seater.
Caddy already did, the XLR. I don't know if it impacted Corvette sales. I don't think it was very successful but I really don't pay attention to Cadillac much.

Again, Cadillac is a brand, a manufacturer. We can't seem to establish there is a difference between a single model and an entire mfg of cars...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
Hellooo Justin,
I think you misunderstand me Justin about this 2+2 thing.. I hope the C7 just works, that's all. Ultimately it doesn't matter about the seats and I just want it to excel , but because of the way you react to this 2+2 stuff I will just go nuts with maniacal laughter if this sucker has an extra seat !

And I will name those seats the " Justin seats " ! The kids will love that !
I'm ot worried at all about ever getting to hear your maniacal laughter about rear seats, as it's not gong to happen for the Corvette. Chevrolet already has it's 2+2 hotrod. The Camaro. Which will be getting smaller and losing weight with the next generation. There is zero reason for GM to turn it's back on the one true two seater sports car that it has had for 60 years.

And ox, as others are saying, you are comparing manufacturers, to models of cars. Not a good comparison at all. It would be like the Miata becoming a 2+2. Or the S2000. Not going to happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just move the gas tank to a tub under the seats..helps to move the center of gravity down low near the road.

The rear seat and belts belts /hardware on my camaro can't weigh more that 30lbs. I stripped out the Camaro, put it on a diet. I was very disapointed in all the work it took to strip the thing down, and I don't think I saved 60lbs..30 was the front pax seat. That Leather covered foam pad of a seat you could toss around like a card board box. If they have a delete option that move the battries back to the rear seat area, put a few storage boxes like the C3 I think it would be a win win.

All the guys on the C7 forum are Vette guys; thus this is like a FOX poll. "No seat" wins by a long shot...but then you put a 2+2 option on the market and let the customers Vote; you will sell a lot more to guys that could buy a M3, 911, Camaro, CTS-V, so on Vote.. 2+2 Vette.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 12-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

A Corvette is a 2 seat sports car and there should be no other option. Corvette does not need a bloated shape a la Panamerica.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Oh yeah, the 'purity' argument...I wonder how that is working for Ferrari with the FF? You think people aren't going to buy a Ferrari now that they offer a 4 seat, AWD vehicle because of purity?
But isn't the FF a separate model? They didn't add rear seats to an existing model of car, they made a new car to fill that role.

Many people always seem to compare the Corvette to other companies entire lines. It is just one car. A V8 rwd vehicle with more than 2 seats already exists elsewhere in GM's lineup. If you don't like the Camaro or CTS-V, find a car that you do like that meets your needs of 2+2, don't change the 2 seat sports car into this. As others have said, to get the space, you would have to lengthen the car, meaning even if there was a seat delete option, those cars would have weight and length compromises necessary for the extra seats. I just don't think with the front engine rwd layout we know is being used for the C7 they could offer a 2+2 option without compromising the 2 seat versions.

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?