Sponsored by:

Roots or Turbo?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Absolutely, I was just playing.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My Mercedes only has a supercharger, no turbo charger. With 6.2L of engine(LT1), I doubt they need to complicate things(and increase the cost) by using both, when a supercharger by itself will do everything needed, at a reasonable cost.
I even think the clutch might even be a wash. They have to lower the compression no matter what for FI. The clutch would eliminate all paristic losses, but, the compression would then be the inefficiency. If the supercharger was running low pressure AND FLOW the parisitic losses would be minimal and it would be simpler. The ZR1 supercharger still puffs up the torque even though it starts off with only 2lbs of boost so how all that could work out is beyond me.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default There is No Compensating for a Supercharger, ROL!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Not to mention the horror list:
*Boost-Creep, when a waste-gate fails an a lean condition ensues the whole motor can go kaput
*hoses that leak
*pipes that come off
*exhaust manifolds that crack
*If the engine goes kaput and stuff exits through the exhaust manifold the turbo goes too
*Upon turbo failure small parts can end up in the shared oil supply and foreign objects are pumped in the engine

Or the day to day annoyances:
let the car idle until the oil temp stabilizes before moving
drive car slowly at first
driver car slowly before stopping
let the car idle before shut off

And all of these risks when a Rotrex can achieve the efficiency of an average turbine.
GM beefed the heck out of the ZR1 even with probably the tallest first gear ever!

And you noted that a centrifugal is out of the question in a Chevy, since, it sticks out!

Superchargers tear up drive trains more, obviously!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

That and I'm sure Chevy will always go with a positive displacement blower. Corvette owners hate downshifting, they want to race at lights from idle.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
I even think the clutch might even be a wash. They have to lower the compression no matter what for FI. The clutch would eliminate all paristic losses, but, the compression would then be the inefficiency. If the supercharger was running low pressure AND FLOW the parisitic losses would be minimal and it would be simpler. The ZR1 supercharger still puffs up the torque even though it starts off with only 2lbs of boost so how all that could work out is beyond me.

On my Mercedes, the exact identical car with NA has a 10.4:1 CR and is rated 23/30 MPG. With the Roots style blower(and clutch) is has a 8.8:1 CR and is rated 21/29. But it does not have DI.

On the C7, with the DI, I don't believe they will have to lower the compression ratio to go with the supercharger, so I doubt if the efficiency would be that much lower(if any) vs a NA of the same horsepower. Plenty of people(includding Callaway) installing roots style superchargers on high comprerssion(10.7:1 & 11:1) LS3/7's and not seeing reductions in gas mileage. With the benefits of the cooling effect of having DI, I can't see why a 11.5:1 CR LT1 can't easily handle a supercharger, and maintain most of the great gas mileage(ie; efficiency).

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Interesting!

On my Mercedes, the exact identical car with NA has a 10.4:1 CR and is rated 23/30 MPG. With the Roots style blower(and clutch) is has a 8.8:1 CR and is rated 21/29. But it does not have DI.

On the C7, with the DI, I don't believe they will have to lower the compression ratio to go with the supercharger, so I doubt if the efficiency would be that much lower(if any) vs a NA of the same horsepower. Plenty of people(includding Callaway) installing roots style superchargers on high comprerssion(10.7:1 & 11:1) LS3/7's and not seeing reductions in gas mileage. With the benefits of the cooling effect of having DI, I can't see why a 11.5:1 CR LT1 can't easily handle a supercharger, and maintain most of the great gas mileage(ie; efficiency).
Interesting, and good point about your Mercedes. I guess it is activated by throttle position? It must run air around the supercharger, sounds good for MPG.

I was thinking that a complete bypass would be easier with a turbo. Using both the wastegates and the smaller bypass setup they already have on the ZR1 they could easily control the boost down to nothing. I've done it on my car blowing off a hose. It just ran super rich. I can't even imagine trying to bypass a supercharger that much.

DI and 9.8CR:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...turesandspecs/

Let the aftermarket setups get the crap run out of them, and be tested for MPG like a production car. And what happens when the car gets older and picks up carbon increasing the compression? Knock!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-13-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I think I got ~3 mpg gain with 90hp gain on one of my cars with a high flow cat, proper header, tune, and 3 inch exhaust. It would not pass any laws OEM cars have to pass. It's soo much easier in aftermarket for sure.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Yes, But, 0-60?

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I think I got ~3 mpg gain with 90hp gain on one of my cars with a high flow cat, proper header, tune, and 3 inch exhaust. It would not pass any laws OEM cars have to pass. It's soo much easier in aftermarket for sure.
The Vette is done in this regard unless they figure out how to get the power down. The 8-SPD auto is one way, but, more power and gearing won't do it as it is going down now!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default MPG, not 0-60!

The SC clutch TECH works like CYL DEAC and is for MPG. Would it work on a 600HP application? And is that why GM, and Ford haven't already adopted it, and or does it dog the car? Although, CYL and SC DEAC would probably have to go together somehow?

Some high HP SC aftermarket guys do use full boost control bypassing like turbo guys use wastegate boost control on the street.

If GM doesn't do something different (power/gear ratios(MPSC): MAX'd out!) the traction limited vette will not get significantly quicker off the line, and below 100MPH (but, two quicker auto shifts)!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-13-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roots or Turbo?