Who is actually going to the reveal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I thought it was already decided that the car is ugly, the taillights belong on a Camaro, and the engine is down on horsepower with tech nobody wants and doomed to explode...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

I'll be there

Janet
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Some of you people are amazing..... and I don't mean that in a good way. Just because you don't want to share in a unique experience, why put down, question those that do? Though you probably save a lot of money on vacations since all you have to do is sit at your computer and look at pictures of whatever place you want to see. Do you go to sporting events? Probably not, just watch on TV, why spend all that money to see it in person. Like rcallen454 predicted there would be someone turn this into a negative.

To "maybe" help you understand, this is a fund raiser for the NCM. And as such they have put together a package that otherwise most of us normal people couldn't experience. Initial reveal in a unique setting, Heritage museum (NOT open to the public), time with Corvette engineers, room and food; great package, great cause, great opportunity.

Oh well, Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited by tome; 12-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
Some of you people are amazing..... and I don't mean that in a good way. Just because you don't want to share in a unique experience, why put down, question those that do? Though you probably save a lot of money on vacations since all you have to do is sit at your computer and look at pictures of whatever place you want to see. Do you go to sporting events? Proabably not, just watch on TV, why spend all that money to see it in person. Like rcallen454 predicted there would be someone turn this into a negative.

To "maybe" help you understand, this is a fund raiser for the NCM. And as such they have put together a package that otherwise most of us normal people couldn't experience. Initial reveal in a unique setting, Heritage museum (NOT open to the public), time with Corvette engineers, room and food; great package, great cause, great opportunity.

Oh well, Merry Christmas to all!
I certainly wish all a great trip and would actually like to go. I just cannot due to prior commitments and probably wouldn't anyway because I will have years to see and thoroughly peruse the C7 before I will buy one.

BTW, I've been to the Indy 500 and lots of professional football games in person but would generally prefer watch them on TV.

An ALMS race, now, that is a different story.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I certainly wish all a great trip and would actually like to go. I just cannot due to prior commitments and probably wouldn't anyway because I will have years to see and thoroughly peruse the C7 before I will buy one.

BTW, I've been to the Indy 500 and lots of professional football games in person but would generally prefer watch them on TV.

An ALMS race, now, that is a different story.
I am glad you said this because I am a big race fan too but I have never had the desire to see a race in person.
You have been to Pebble and this is something I would love to physically attend..

I have a car loving 17 year old daughter so this trip to Detroit is more for her and I also want her to think I am still coooool !
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
I am glad you said this because I am a big race fan too but I have never had the desire to see a race in person.
You have been to Pebble and this is something I would love to physically attend..

I have a car loving 17 year old daughter so this trip to Detroit is more for her and I also want her to think I am still coooool !
Sounds like a great trip...I hope that cool thing works out for you!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the Detroit Auto Show to see the BMW 1M coupe be introduced.

Although I was disappointed in the car, I was not disappointed in the show.

It was easy to get into all cars that were opened. (some were locked)

The same year I went the New York Auto Show, and that was a disappointment.

Lots of non car people listening to radios with lots of kids. Very crowded, and long lines to get into cars that were open.

If you are not from the NYC area, go to the Detroit Show to see the C7.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

How cool will it be if they let the museum event attendees sit in the prototypes but keep the cars behind velvet ropes at the public auto show?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
How cool will it be if they let the museum event attendees sit in the prototypes but keep the cars behind velvet ropes at the public auto show?
I have thought about that and have my fingers crossed!!!

Last edited by tome; 12-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
I have thought about that can have my fingers crossed!!!
Take extra camera batteries!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Amazing some people have such a crap attitude.

For one, those people that paid the 1k not only get to be part of a cool event, but in the process donated to the Corvette Museum's needs. They get to be part of a pretty big event for the price that some people drop on junk they have laying in the garage unused for 10 years....exercise equipment that sat collecting dust, or god knows what else.

I tried to buy a ticket but missed it by 10 minutes apparently, because they were sold out. I was surprised people jumped on that so quickly, but....oh well. There's always the Museum bash in April! I'll be there!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
Dude...cmon now, ALMS is in Baltimore and VIR next season...you're not even far! I go to multiple ALMS races each year. Hearing those Corvettes in person, going in the paddock and seeing them right there, hearing them idle...man, it's worth it.

Many people also go to the races and just sit in one spot...that's a mistake. You need to go to different spots of the track for different vantage points...hear the cars under acceleration and decel. If these things don't excite you...then cars just aren't in your blood like they are mine.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Tom, it's a wonderful experience and you (and others that have the good fortune and opportunity) to enjoy this. I hope you can share with those of us who can't go your insights.

Not all of us are negative about this exciting event.

Thanks for bringing This topic to a thread on the forum.

After reading your response I almost had a dream of going and then remembered family obligations that really don't offer me the same freedoms...

But dam glad some of our forum friends can go !,,

Live the dream!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by RC000E
Dude...cmon now, ALMS is in Baltimore and VIR next season...you're not even far! I go to multiple ALMS races each year. Hearing those Corvettes in person, going in the paddock and seeing them right there, hearing them idle...man, it's worth it.

Many people also go to the races and just sit in one spot...that's a mistake. You need to go to different spots of the track for different vantage points...hear the cars under acceleration and decel. If these things don't excite you...then cars just aren't in your blood like they are mine.
I went the couple of years the Grand Prix race was in downtown Phoenix. Imagine seeing the most high tech vehicles in racing running all out on streets you routinely drive on. Surreal experience, especially for a car guy
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Tom, it's a wonderful experience and you (and others that have the good fortune and opportunity) to enjoy this. I hope you can share with those of us who can't go your insights. Not all of us are negative about this exciting event.

Thanks for bringing This topic to a thread on the forum.

After reading your response I almost had a dream of going and then remembered family obligations that really don't offer me the same freedoms... But dam glad some of our forum friends can go !,,

Live the dream!
THANKS!!!!! Will do my best to share on the 13th. I have limited smart phone skills so it may have to wait until I get back to the room. If I ever do......
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

When the C6 and the C6 Z06 were unveiled in Detroit, they were also unveiled in Los Angeles at the very same time, so we had our own big party. This year that is not happening, so we had no choice but attend the big Shindig in Detroit where it is a mite chillier.

My tech skills are sorely lacking, but I'm sure there will be several people there that are quite adept at posting the pics & info.

Janet
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Not sure if you can still do this but there are doors along the waterfront where you can simply walk in during the setup days before the actual event. I did this for years for Autorama and the Auto Show on my lunch hour. Just wear some sort of photo id tag, Ford, GM, for sure, but other non-automotive ids should work. Also, consider wearing a suit and tie and look like you are part of an exhibitor's staff...worked for me, should work for anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is actually going to the reveal?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

The Jan 13 special unveil is NOT at the Auto Show, it is at an undisclosed location, so trying to bluff your way in during set up won't work.

Janet
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Not sure if you can still do this but there are doors along the waterfront where you can simply walk in during the setup days before the actual event. I did this for years for Autorama and the Auto Show on my lunch hour. Just wear some sort of photo id tag, Ford, GM, for sure, but other non-automotive ids should work. Also, consider wearing a suit and tie and look like you are part of an exhibitor's staff...worked for me, should work for anyone.
And make pre-arrangements with a bail bondsman just in case there is a slight glitch in thiis plan
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I mean, what can you say?Can you imagine going through life looking at stuff that way?
Looking at stuff that way with an extra $1000 in my pocket.

Quick Reply: Who is actually going to the reveal?