Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Can We Compete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM
White_06_A6_C6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show me a factory car with street tires and 650+hp... then hand me the keys to a bolt on narrow body C6 w/ an A6 and good tires. Guess which one i'm betting on.

Roll racing is for people who cannot put it down from a dead stop or who are too afraid to try, since the dawn of the automobile the stoplight has been the measure of street performance. The fact current trends push that 0mph to 60mph to account for obscene power, lack of tire, absence of drive talent, or any combo of the forementioned doesn't change the fact that if you put a 500hp car against a 1000hp car on the street, the safer bet is on the 500hp for a good ol' fashioned 1/4 race.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Racing on the streets = dumb.

Put aside safety and the law for a second, and street racing is still just a pissing contest.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I'll play the "ninth model year" card instead.

In a few months we'll find out what the motoring press thinks about the car; this time next year the C7 General Discussion forum will have been transformed from speculative brow-knitting to actual customer experience. It's too early to say that GM hasn't gotten it right. In fact, most of GM's product moves post-bankruptcy have been very well-regarded. Will C7 be perfect? Of course not; you're going to find something you don't like if you're so inclined. But the deck is stacked against a bet that the car is DOOMED.
Sure, but I was referring to the C6. I love my C6 for the most part, best Vette I have ever owned. Outside of the forum though it takes a lot of heat.

Are you assuming that they've ignored those items? Or are you just rehashing old complaints about the old car? The presence of a carbon fiber dash element does not obviate attention to other details.
Again, talking about the C6, which should have been obvious. I have no idea what they are doing with the C7 in that regard, I hope it is going to be something better.

Would a steering wheel shared with $50K+ Cadillacs not satisfy you two? If not, then I think you're on the fringe, especially if you think that's going to hold the car back from anything but unrealistically-starry-eyed expectations.
No actually it wouldn't. How about making a Corvette specific steering wheel, especially for a car that costs as much as a tricked out Z06 or a ZR-1? Oh yeah, that's unrealistic. That's just the kind of crap that gets the Corvette the bad rap that it gets.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by White_06_A6_C6
Show me a factory car with street tires and 650+hp... then hand me the keys to a bolt on narrow body C6 w/ an A6 and good tires. Guess which one i'm betting on.

Roll racing is for people who cannot put it down from a dead stop or who are too afraid to try, since the dawn of the automobile the stoplight has been the measure of street performance. The fact current trends push that 0mph to 60mph to account for obscene power, lack of tire, absence of drive talent, or any combo of the forementioned doesn't change the fact that if you put a 500hp car against a 1000hp car on the street, the safer bet is on the 500hp for a good ol' fashioned 1/4 race.
Yeah ok. Oh boy . . .
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Sure, but I was referring to the C6.
So you mean in this post:

Originally Posted by JLinNY
If this is the way they go about obtainig "street cred", then I would rather they not get it. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind want this on their dash????

Oh wait, it looks cool right? I can think of better things. How about adding enviromental controls that don't look like they came from 1990? How about seats that don't wrinkle after a few thousand miles? How about a CORVETTE specific steering wheel?
you're ONLY talking about the C6. So you're either beating a dead horse still criticizing what they did a decade ago or being really unrealistic about making changes to the old car. Gotcha. Moving on then.

No actually it wouldn't. How about making a Corvette specific steering wheel, especially for a car that costs as much as a tricked out Z06 or a ZR-1? Oh yeah, that's unrealistic. That's just the kind of crap that gets the Corvette the bad rap that it gets.
Yes, that's unrealistic, in that you cannot pretend that those cars are not small volume variants of a $50K car built to a performance value proposition. I hope C7 does get a unique steering wheel just so we can hear you complain about bang for the buck.

.Jinx
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

Put aside safety and the law for a second, and street racing is still just a pissing contest.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

Yep, and it's never going to go away fully. Whether it's stoplight to stop light or HWY roll ons.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Yep, and it's never going to go away fully. Whether it's stoplight to stop light or HWY roll ons.
Agreed.

Yesterday, I had some moron in a BMW bugging me as we took an onramp to a busy freeway. He wanted to prove something?

He sure did. See moron comment above.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CandyVette
I am in a position where I can upgrade or wait. I think I will wait to see what the C7 offers. The car I am talking about belongs to no one. It is a demo model that my friend is driving because her BF works at a dealership. I checked it out today--lighted door sills, speedo to 220 mph, loud as hell exhaust. And I have a 2011 Corvette. I should not be coveting. I don't even like Mustangs. But 650 hp is a lot more than 436 hp. I don't like any other girl having more hp than me, even if it is temporary. Dammit. When will January 13 ever make it here?
Ever heard of a ZR1?

Seriously, there's no magic - the 'stang is simply running a modified engine. You too can modify your engine!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
The C7 is already confirmed to have more advanced technology, we just don't know the extent to which that will be true. If in doubt, I would wait. I have never taken a single step in your shoes, however. By the way, I think the supercharging is more like $10,000.00.
Out here I can get an A&A s/c kit installed out the door for $6600.00. I am considering that if the C7 looks as bad (at least the rear) as the renderings seem to indicate...............

Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by gs_M6
With the lack of good information on this forum, it's no wonder so many of the senior members here are some of the most ignorant members on the forum. Just comparing numbers is lower than magazine racing.
That comment is just as inane as if I were to hypothetically say that most junior members are ignorant. Both comments are equally stupid. The difference is that yours actually got made................
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Just because "zero" (read - "it's never going to go away fully") can't be obtained doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to reduce the number of occurrences.

Last edited by Notch; 12-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

So you mean in this post:

you're ONLY talking about the C6. So you're either beating a dead horse still criticizing what they did a decade ago or being really unrealistic about making changes to the old car. Gotcha. Moving on then.

Yes, that's unrealistic, in that you cannot pretend that those cars are not small volume variants of a $50K car built to a performance value proposition. I hope C7 does get a unique steering wheel just so we can hear you complain about bang for the buck.

.Jinx
Tell me any other car in GM's inventory that the Corvette is a derivative of, or that is a derivative of the Corvette.

Answer: None.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Callaway

Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No kidding. On my way home today a Fifth Gen Camaro kept trying to get me to run...

The 405 Freeway.
With construction and lots of traffic.
And rough road.

Just stupid. Must have been a dumb 16 year old. (We can only hope)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by You_Vette_Your_Ass
Tell me any other car in GM's inventory that the Corvette is a derivative of, or that is a derivative of the Corvette.

Answer: None.
Not sure I understand your point.

Quick Reply: How Can We Compete?