Sponsored by:

Generation 3 Active Handling on the C7...7:21 truly possible...discuss

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Generation 3 Active Handling on the C7...7:21 truly possible...discuss

No real information seems to be floating about. Anyone have any possibly viable info on what Cadillac or Holden or Voxel or anyone is doing? How may we see the next generation of active handling evolve?

There is clearly speculation that the time of 7:21 at Nurbur is impossible, but there are some factors that haven't been discussed.

1. If a DCT does exist, even as a limited TOP end option to come, this will cut a dramatic amount of time from a lap at Nurbur, given the same car. Put a DCT in the ZR1 as it sits now, and you might very well be looking at 10 seconds. The fastest datalogged shifts I've ever had are .5 seconds start to finish...shift 40 times and that's 20 seconds of coasting vs accelerating. It's no mystery DCT drops times...

2. Some have commented on narrower tires on the C7 mules. The possibility of a very advanced active handling system/traction control system could be the cause for this. The Corvette racing team uses a very quick reacting traction control system in the race car...could we be seeing development coming from that direction?

3. Increased downforce is clearly apparent on this new car...and at the Nurbur downforce=quickness, as there are many high speed turns that reward good aero. This could further allow quicker sector times despite a power disadvantage vs the current ZR1.

Point is, there are a lot of unknowns still, and there are factors involved that often aren't discussed. The one issue I see people commonly ignoring, is our (Corvette's) involvement/investment in ALMS. Additionally, the C7R will debut in year of the new GrandAm/ALMS merger (ISCAR). The current GT class is far more in touch with the street car counterpart than the GT1/GTS classes of old, and may potentially even be more in touch when the new classes are defined in ISCAR (per an insider I spoke with at SEMA representing GrandAm).

To say that Corvette/GM doesn't want to win there would be a major oversight. GM recently came big on the scene in the Grand Am DP classes, and won with the "Corvette", and of course we swept the championship in ALMS.

I think the racing side has a LOT to do with the design we're seeing here. Corvette jumped in ALMS with the C5, and immediately with C6 we saw aero and cooling improvements, basically by Corvette Racing's request. No more flip lights, bigger front air dam for better cooling, better aero overall.

Now with C7, we're seeing even more...better torsional rigidity, much more functional design (i.e. a car designed by engineers in many ways), more aggressive stock body aero, more ducts for cooling, etc. Are we looking at a C7 that is similar to the F117 Stealth in that the engineers designed what worked FIRST, then told the aerospace and flight guys to "make it fly"? Was this car designed around certain core aerodynamic/function based principles then handed to designers to "make it look good"?

Point is, don't underestimate the powers of a Corvette Racing team that is winning/defending championships, that is also highly invested in what is proving to become one of the biggest manufacturer battle grounds in racing. Those of you who enjoy the ZR1, Z06 and base Corvette performance which has become ridiculous can thank Corvette Racing 100%.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The Z06+Z07 run of 7:22.68 is probably a better point of comparison than the ZR1.

Don't need DCT if the Aisin 8-speed auto is anything like the IS-F unit.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

7.41 on the 4100 lb ZL1 camaro....

I would suggest with 3000 lbs...the new LT1 powered corvette with new technolgy tires, brakes, Improved Active handling and an update on PTM5 as well as added ratios in the transmission...GM should be able in the track pack version of the c7 to cut some serious times..

Remember the 2009 CTS V sedan ran 7.58 with a similiar technology to the ZL1 and then the 2012 ZL1 was able to cut the time to 7.41...

No reason not to expect...the corvette c7 to cut the time down a little further...ie....7.21....

Power to weight on 3000 lbs 500hp equal 6 pounds per hp...(give or take a few ponies)
ZL1 power to weight....4200 lbs 600 hp equal 7 pounds...(give or take a few lbs or ponies)

New brakes...new active handling PTM5...new tire technology...new torque curves...new transmissions....anything is possible..
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I use the term "DCT" loosely in that, I think we're talking about anything with improved shift quickness vs a live box.

I actually drove an IS-F prototype (on a racetrack) before that car went into production, before I drove the LFA prototype a time later. Wasn't a fan of either of those cars trannies to be honest, but both impressive cars regardless. The LFA tranny actually made me a little angry at the time...lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
7.41 on the 4100 lb ZL1 camaro....

I would suggest with 3000 lbs...the new LT1 powered corvette with new technolgy tires, brakes, Improved Active handling and an update on PTM5 as well as added ratios in the transmission...GM should be able in the track pack version of the c7 to cut some serious times..

Remember the 2009 CTS V sedan ran 7.58 with a similiar technology to the ZL1 and then the 2012 ZL1 was able to cut the time to 7.41...

No reason not to expect...the corvette c7 to cut the time down a little further...ie....7.21....

Power to weight on 3000 lbs 500hp equal 6 pounds per hp...(give or take a few ponies)
ZL1 power to weight....4200 lbs 600 hp equal 7 pounds...(give or take a few lbs or ponies)

New brakes...new active handling PTM5...new tire technology...new torque curves...new transmissions....anything is possible..
Agreed...all truth there. My question is, will we see an evolution of the PTM/handling systems that have been kept secret. Fact is, everything performance wise always trickles down from the Vette to the camaro...so what do they have up the sleeve for this C7?

Good little video for those that want to see a PTM demonstration in a ZR1 with Milner driving for those who want to see...

Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Does anybody know for a fact that Active Handling was used on the laps that the C6's turned at the 'Ring? I found personally that it slowed me down and I never used it unless it was VERY slippery. I would hope that the C7 would have better handling by virtue of better chassis tuning, not electronic controls.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Does anybody know for a fact that Active Handling was used on the laps that the C6's turned at the 'Ring?
GM drivers are trained and expected to drive all-out without the Stabilitrak system engaged. However, the doesn't apply to the PTM-equipped cars. The last 2 runs that were done by Mero in the Z07 and ZR1 were done with PTM. In fact he was constantly switching the modes between 4 and 5 while driving. Bear in mind that those modes DO NOT have the Stabilitrak engaged. Just the torque management of the PTM.

jas
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Does anybody know for a fact that Active Handling was used on the laps that the C6's turned at the 'Ring? I found personally that it slowed me down and I never used it unless it was VERY slippery. I would hope that the C7 would have better handling by virtue of better chassis tuning, not electronic controls.
The ZR1 system differs from the Z06 base active handling system greatly. The base active handling system will slow you down when you reach a certain level of capability, the ZR1's system is a whole different animal.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

With the C6 Z's performing as well as they do, and beating everything on the track, GM smells blood and is out for the kill with the C7. There is no doubt in my mind that the C7 will be the best vette yet. Its gonna look really bad for the competition.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

It's gonna be funny to listen to Clarkson and friends try to pick it apart because they want so badly to hate it. They push on the bumpers, pick on the interior...but it's a beast and they know it.

I agree, with the position the C6 is in, as an outgoing platform spanking everything in it's wake...the C7 is going to be like nails in a coffin. Goofy looking back end or not...lot's of people are going to be looking at those taillights a hell of a lot. I just can't WAIT to see the C7R...damn I'm aching!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:16 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Ckarkson has already admitted that, at some point, the ZR1 was his favorite car, which stunned me that he could admit to liking ANYTHING American.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Ckarkson has already admitted that, at some point, the ZR1 was his favorite car, which stunned me that he could admit to liking ANYTHING American.
You have to take what he says on the show with a big grain (or bag) of salt. He actually owns a ZR1.

jas
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

I had never Clarkson utter one positive word about the US in any regard, food, culture, language, and especially cars. He hates us, so the fact that he actually bought one says volumes.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

He also said the car started to disintegrate 3 days later. Whether he still owns it or not remains to be seen. I know he got his GT40 and was all jacked cause it was junk. Can't really call that car a Ford though...definitely can't call it american either...
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that with todays technology anything is possible.

C7 should also have the next generation magnetic shocks.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was just a number written, not gonna happen. Close maybe, but 5 seconds behind the z07, IF they even offer cup tires on the base car(not sure why there is such an assumption they will when they could just as easily choose between supercar g2, pilot sport, or super sport tires) would be my guess.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Oh, about that Milner PTM film, Milner is a factory driver for GM and he's demonstrating a system that GM sells after spending millions developing. If I were in his shoes, I would not embarrass my employer by beating the system. Not saying that he did, just what would be going through my mind if I were in that situation.

In the previous posting, I omitted the word "Heard" between "never" and "Clarkson." Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Generation 3 Active Handling on the C7...7:21 truly possible...discuss

Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I don't think it was just a number written by any means. The person who put that there did it for a reason....either to create a whirlwind of speculation, to leak what someone may know, to do something...that's not there for nothing...I just don't believe it. Until I hear from the person responsible for that very pages contents, I don't believe it was for nothing. I'm not saying it means it happened or will happen, but it wasn't a random number.

Look at it for what it is. The page shows a track map display that collects data and shows a lap time in excess of 7 minutes...no track, of any relevance, in the world has that time for one lap. If it were a random number, it'd be 1:xx.xx or 2:xx.xx which is more typical of most road courses....not 7 plus minutes...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Oh, about that Milner PTM film, Milner is a factory driver for GM and he's demonstrating a system that GM sells after spending millions developing. If I were in his shoes, I would not embarrass my employer by beating the system. Not saying that he did, just what would be going through my mind if I were in that situation.
Don't look for conspiracy where there is none. Tommy couldn't beat the PTM. Neither can Justin Bell. Neither can Jim Mero. Neither can any of the other professional drivers that have tried it.

Yes, it really is just that good. Try it for yourself if you don't believe it (I've been using it for the last 3 years).

jas
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

People should equate the PTM system to "fly by wire" in aircraft. A person simply can't react and adjust the throttle in the way a computer can. It enhances ability. It think this is a big reason why you see this Viper vs ZR1 differential in the Leguna controversy. If you look at sector speeds and times, this system coupled with Cup tires...just damn near unbeatable from a production perspective.

Quick Reply: Generation 3 Active Handling on the C7...7:21 truly possible...discuss