Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It keeps looking better and better!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It keeps looking better and better!

I'm still waiting on the Z06 - ZR1 model, but every time I look at all the pics and different colors on the base model C7 I'm liking it more and more. There are still some things I really don't like about the car, but what car is PERFACT? This is only based on the design features that we have seen in the pics and nothing about the performance end.

Also I haven't seen the car it person, so I'm sure there might be a few other things the aftermarket guys will be able to come up with some improvements, they always do.

DESIGN features that I would change - not in any specific order:

The center console with the 2 odd shaped compartments doesn't work
The rear end defuser section comes up the back end to high
The tail pipe shape - if round is out, change them
The round gas tank cover - makes no sense on an anguilar design I think it's the same on that's on my CTS-V, which is also anguilar
The Stingray - it's coming off - sorry it's just STUPID - no corealation to the design at all
The rear spoiler fit is in question as well - wish it was molded in
The skinny tires don't cut it - or is that the corealation to the Stingray

Not sure if I missed this one in the threads, but is there an option to have the roof the same color as the body, not Carbon?

That's about it until I actually see the car

What have I missed?

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 02-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,480 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

After all the talk on the tail lights, rear fascia, etc., to me the one thing that really jumped out as odd was the round gas lid cover.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I truly admire and apreciate all the effort that has gone into the C7. But, IMHO, it's a travesty 'that' rear end is mated to an otherwise spectacular Corvette redesign. To me it's what one would expect from the now defunct Pontiac Design Studios for a new Screaming Chicken Trans Am.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I agree with Joe. The car is near perfect. Great job GM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
After all the talk on the tail lights, rear fascia, etc., to me the one thing that really jumped out as odd was the round gas lid cover.
For some reason they can't hide the fueling location. Lost this concept after the C4.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
For some reason they can't hide the fueling location. Lost this concept after the C4.
Safety and space utilization issue. Would look better integrated if square(ish), however.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Yes the there is an option for the removable roof panel to be painted body color or clear coated carbon fiber I believe. Maybe someone else can chime in to verify.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
I'm still waiting on the Z06 - ZR1 model, but every time I look at all the pics and different colors on the base model C7 I'm liking it more and more. There are still some things I really don't like about the car, but what car is PERFACT? This is only based on the design features that we have seen in the pics and nothing about the performance end.

Also I haven't seen the car it person, so I'm sure there might be a few other things the aftermarket guys will be able to come up with some improvements, they always do.

DESIGN features that I would change - not in any specific order:

The center console with the 2 odd shaped compartments doesn't work organic looking and probably useful. No problem, mate!
The rear end defuser section comes up the back end to high
The tail pipe shape - if round is out, change them
The round gas tank cover - makes no sense on an anguilar design I think it's the same on that's on my CTS-V, which is also anguilar
The Stingray - it's coming off - sorry it's just STUPID - no corealation to the design at all
The rear spoiler fit is in question as well - wish it was molded in
The skinny tires don't cut it - or is that the corealation to the Stingray form follows function. Sticky and efficient which is a proper 21st century solution

Not sure if I missed this one in the threads, but is there an option to have the roof the same color as the body, not Carbon? YES, thank goodness. Carbon and smoked would look awesome, BTW, if they simply darkened the top of the B-pillar and extended the C-pillar body color through the A-pillar. See new Aston for pix of how nice this can look. The C7 treatment looks like the arches of a bridge which they stopped building halfway across the river

That's about it until I actually see the car

What have I missed?
Glad to see you coming around. I am in roughly the same place as you, except as noted. And, I still wish they had been ruthlessly single-minded about weight reduction. The thing is competitive in its class, but I would bet they could have done better. If "All Corvettes are Red, Part II" appears, I bet we'll read about a lot of heated discussions as this thing grew from its target weight. And, if I could bet over/under at 3050 lbs as their original target, I'd bet "under."
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Body colored roof panel is standard. Options are the visible carbon-fiber w/body-color surrounds or the transparent roof. Visible carbon-fiber is not available on the 1LT.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

The aftermarket needs to get on fixing the tails & rear ASAP
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I truly admire and apreciate all the effort that has gone into the C7. But, IMHO, it's a travesty 'that' rear end is mated to an otherwise spectacular Corvette redesign. To me it's what one would expect from the now defunct Pontiac Design Studios for a new Screaming Chicken Trans Am.
it amazes me, some of the things people say, that is so silly.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

This is a stunning car. Exotic in design and in promised functionality.

Just look at the overwhelming reaction:

2014 Corvette Stingray steals crowd’s heart at Chicago Auto Show

It's everybody's right to say, "I like the C7" or "I don't like it," but - make no mistake - the introduction of this car has been a success.

Corvette people inside General Motors are not wringing their hands with worry and wondering if they should hurriedly redesign the tail or the body vents.

The C7 has captured the public's imagination, not just among Corvette fans, but among car fans in general. And in many countries.

Let's hope that the momentum continues.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unsprung
This is a stunning car. Exotic in design and in promised functionality.

Just look at the overwhelming reaction:

2014 Corvette Stingray steals crowd’s heart at Chicago Auto Show

It's everybody's right to say, "I like the C7" or "I don't like it," but - make no mistake - the introduction of this car has been a success.

Corvette people inside General Motors are not wringing their hands with worry and wondering if they should hurriedly redesign the tail or the body vents.

The C7 has captured the public's imagination, not just among Corvette fans, but among car fans in general. And in many countries.

Let's hope that the momentum continues.
Your last sentence is key. A lotta time for it to dissipate. Good first steps. History buffs will note that in 1953 the very first Vette was met with great excitement at GM Motorama, but the actual execution and delivery was an embarrassing flop. Similarly, the C3 stunned folks with its looks, but year one had numerous and serious quality issues. Finally, the C4 had some major issues in the real world, despite the on-paper brilliance that had all the mags salivating. So, the pessimists among us can call on that.

Of course, despite the flaws, the C3 and the C4 had so much good in them that even their first-year problems did not keep them from selling a lot of '68's and '84's, and both generations had long and generally successful runs. So, there's something for the optimists to lean on...

My biggest pessimism issue is whether the pricing, while probably commensurate with value, will adversely impact the number of potential buyers. Given the deep discounts it takes to sell a limited number of C6's today, I think there are legitimate reasons for this concern.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z

Glad to see you coming around. I am in roughly the same place as you, except as noted. And, I still wish they had been ruthlessly single-minded about weight reduction. The thing is competitive in its class, but I would bet they could have done better. If "All Corvettes are Red, Part II" appears, I bet we'll read about a lot of heated discussions as this thing grew from its target weight. And, if I could bet over/under at 3050 lbs as their original target, I'd bet "under."
Let's wait for the Z version of the C7.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Couldn't of made the car any better I love
It
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
-

GM SHOULD (key word) take note of what the buyers are saying about the base model and put their egos and union BS aside and improve what could be a true stand alone super car in the "Z" models

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 02-11-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes, please and hurry.

Get notified of new replies

To It keeps looking better and better!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
-

GM SHOULD (key word) take note of what the buyers are saying about the base model and put their egos and union BS aside and improve what could be a true stand alone super car in the "Z" models
In case they are reading:

550 hp - NA (minimum 550)
optional auto trans
325 rear Pilot Super Sports
Atomic Orange (new color)

All by 2015 please
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torch Z

My biggest pessimism issue is whether the pricing, while probably commensurate with value, will adversely impact the number of potential buyers. Given the deep discounts it takes to sell a limited number of C6's today, I think there are legitimate reasons for this concern.
Correct pricing is essential for Corvette, isn't it. After all: this car isn't the best exotic; it's the best accessible exotic for the money.

Versus the C6... I believe that the C7 has enough innovation and incremental value to drive foot traffic and retail sales.

That said, the US economy is not out of the woods, yet. It's probably a good idea for GM to be looking abroad at potential Corvette revenue in China, as well as Russia and the Middle East.

Our friends in Canada buy a fair number of Corvettes each year, but the rest of the world... not so much. The C7 might just help to boost ex-US numbers. (I leave the European Union out of the equation for the moment, because their car market is now marching in reverse)

We know that GM is making a big push for Chevrolet as a global brand with distribution in numerous countries. If GM wants the ability to optimize US Corvette pricing relative to US demand, it might be useful to have a counterbalance via Corvette sales in foreign markets. This wouldn't be a game-changer, but it could be that little bit that helps.

One more thing... there's an elephant in the room on this issue of pricing and... this elephant is called the Chevrolet dealership experience. Wow, it sure is broken. That experience.

If and when Chevrolet and its independent dealers realize that car shopping and the purchase experience are part of car ownership... then they will be able to unlock value that is currently not on the table. And price for it, accordingly.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Problem is, I can't help but think some automaker out there (probably in China ) is coming up with the next 240Z. This car was perfect for the time, and sold in astonishing quantities in the US:
1970 16,215
1971 33,684
1972 52,628
1973 45,588

You can be sure that some of those were stolen from the Vette, as there was finally an adept mid-sized sports car that was not an overpriced Porsche or a fragile British/French/Italian maintenance nightmare.

In a few years, we'll know if "let's wait for the Z version..." was the right decision, or if the C7 was designed to compete against what "is," instead of what "will be."

Quick Reply: It keeps looking better and better!