Sponsored by:

A valet or track "keys" for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A valet or track "keys" for C7?

Would you like to have control of who gets a chance to push your car to its limits? I have always liked the idea of a “valet key” to keep less than honest parking lot attendants from abusing my car. GPS and RPM limits would do a lot towards peace of mind when you're having dinner and your back is turned

Also there are those mechanics at your local Chevrolet dealer who cannot afford one but relish the opportunity to test ride your car just to see what it can do. For limiting them a “track key” somewhere along the line of what another company is doing with their car that unlocks a high-performance tune would be just the ticket.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Shurshot; 01-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have suggested that Corvette have a 'multi-tune' capability in the fob and a 'valet' setting would be a great idea too.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
...along the line of what another company is doing with their car...
The C4 ZR-1 had a valet key.

I think it's a gimmick, but if you would allow a valet to drive your car I suppose every bit helps. With the fly-by-wire throttle it would be easy to implement an effective system.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Geof180
Pro

and then you go and get the car's computer modded so as to bypass that whole feature altogether...

the "key" is always "on" just like in my ZR-1...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd rather they extend the track day data recorder to a nanny mode, where recording can't be disabled and the fact that it's recording is indicated on the display. Give me a one-button summary of the recording session so I can tell at a glance what shenanigans may have been attempted.

If professional servicefolk know the car is watching them, they probably won't screw around. And then there's no "we need valet mode disabled to diagnose your car" excuses.

.Jinx
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO every high performance car should have this option since it adds no weight and is a simple matter of some basic programming that can be accessed through the infotainment system with a key code. In other words no added hardware at all, just programming. Considering the data recorder we already know to be built in C7 could also record in valet mode that might be an interesting log....
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crabman
IMO every high performance car should have this option since it adds no weight and is a simple matter of some basic programming that can be accessed through the infotainment system with a key code. In other words no added hardware at all, just programming. Considering the data recorder we already know to be built in C7 could also record in valet mode that might be an interesting log....
I agree, and from the 1st time it showed up in the C-4 ZR–1, I thought the valet key was a great idea.

Nowadays with all the computer programming just a touch away anything can be set up with a password and the right application.

For that matter there's no reason why GPS technology available through features like OnStar cannot be programmed to come on and send information to a cell phone when “unauthorized use” is detected.

Then we can have a new reality TV show called “valet bait”.

Last edited by Shurshot; 01-07-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The good thing is one could have a high boost tune... low boost tune...

pump gas tune...
race gas tune...

There could be many applications for this! I would love to have it like the GTR... Cancel. up up... etc etc
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
I'd rather they extend the track day data recorder to a nanny mode, where recording can't be disabled and the fact that it's recording is indicated on the display. Give me a one-button summary of the recording session so I can tell at a glance what shenanigans may have been attempted.

If professional servicefolk know the car is watching them, they probably won't screw around. And then there's no "we need valet mode disabled to diagnose your car" excuses.

.Jinx
I'd much rather prevent the behavior than record it for posterity. Both prevention and recording would great!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'd much rather prevent the behavior than record it for posterity. Both prevention and recording would great!
I agree,

We have all wanted to catch the person who keyed our car but better it had never happened.

Eventually most of what we are looking for will find its way into most new high end cars, if for no other reason just for an additional theft deterrent.

But it would also be nice if you let your son use your car to go to the prom (or go with someone else's son) that as long as you hold the final authority they will not be out racing and asking for trouble.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Thats what I'm talking about. On my old daily driver I could limit the speed to whatever I wanted, stereo volume, etc. This was done in the infotainment system and required a key code which you could set to whatever you wanted.

Clearly you want to prevent the activity first but I always thought it would be amusing to see if my kids had TRIED to crank the stereo higher, were bouncing it off my set speed limit and so on. The same would apply to the valet scenario but I didn't have that capability. With C7 there isn't any reason I can see that you could not have it with the existing hardware and some simple programming.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by HighlanderX
The good thing is one could have a high boost tune... low boost tune...

pump gas tune...
race gas tune...

There could be many applications for this! I would love to have it like the GTR... Cancel. up up... etc etc
This is what my Haltech computer has and I love it.

As for valet mode I leave the vette at home for dinner/ movie. Im not impressing no one by parking it somewhere and spazzing out about it. When we get back the car is ready to go hunting
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I don't want the valet getting rear-ended when he pulls out because the 25mph cutoff took him and street traffic by surprise.

I don't want to negotiate with dealer service personnel over whether this particular service visit does or does not need a drive that exceeds 25mph.

And I don't want to get into tuning just how much or little horsepower, speed, longitudinal or lateral acceleration, or other parameters are sufficient.

But y'all are welcome to concoct whatever no-fun mode floats your boats.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't want the valet getting rear-ended when he pulls out because the 25mph cutoff took him and street traffic by surprise.

I don't want to negotiate with dealer service personnel over whether this particular service visit does or does not need a drive that exceeds 25mph.

And I don't want to get into tuning just how much or little horsepower, speed, longitudinal or lateral acceleration, or other parameters are sufficient.

But y'all are welcome to concoct whatever no-fun mode floats your boats.
I don't want the valet to slide my Corvette out into the on coming lane of traffic because he has no idea what he's doing.

I'd discuss anything necessary with the service manager rather than have an idiot drive my car all over hell.

I won't be having to get into tuning at all.

Get notified of new replies

To A valet or track "keys" for C7?

Quick Reply: A valet or track "keys" for C7?