Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

seriously though, HOLY **** is it an ignorant bunch... the "Camaro" people.. and there are a LOT of them!!! OPEN YOUR FKING MINDS
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Smiley1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front view is absolutely stunning but the rear is extremely disappointing. I was holding off on buying an R8 or an AM until I get to see the new corvette. I've alway been a vette lover and have alway gave it shot before purchasing an new cars. Had a c5 and C6. All were great for its time but when I saw the c7.....I was very disappointed. Vettes have alway been in a class of its own but when they decide to redesign the rear to have a similar look to the Camaro its kind of like "lets change the escalade to be similar to a yukon".
Why would I want to buy a car that copied a cheaper cars looks. Shouldn't be the other way around? Like" Holy cow the Vette looks like the aventador but only 1/4 of the price" now its holly cow it looks like a camaro but double the price. SOOOO DISAPPOINTED. Hope its not too late to change it.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first reaction: "Meh, I'll keep my C5."

but.....

After reading F22's post, If form indeed followed function (integral cooler vents, hood vent, etc), I can learn to like it. Not a fan of the 18/19 wheel combo still, but I think that was a style choice easily rectified. I did and do like the air inlets right behind the doors. Wonder if the General finally put coilovers on from the factory?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smiley1
The front view is absolutely stunning but the rear is extremely disappointing. I was holding off on buying an R8 or an AM until I get to see the new corvette. I've alway been a vette lover and have alway gave it shot before purchasing an new cars. Had a c5 and C6. All were great for its time but when I saw the c7.....I was very disappointed. Vettes have alway been in a class of its own but when they decide to redesign the rear to have a similar look to the Camaro its kind of like "lets change the escalade to be similar to a yukon".
Why would I want to buy a car that copied a cheaper cars looks. Shouldn't be the other way around? Like" Holy cow the Vette looks like the aventador but only 1/4 of the price" now its holly cow it looks like a camaro but double the price. SOOOO DISAPPOINTED. Hope its not too late to change it.
have you actually seen one in person?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Love the new technology! Not sure about the design. I like the car from the front end to the "B" Pillar. From that point back it doesn't resemble any corvette I've ever seen. Weilborn said the car was more "International" and I'd agree with that, if he means it looks like a GTR or some of the European offerings. But I think he and GM are missing the mark. I believe Europeans and the rest of the world would buy a new Corvette because for it's performance and it's American design that stays true to the Corvette brand identity. This car unfortunately doesn't stay true to the brand identity from what I can see. Would like to see it in person though.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by hklvette
My first reaction: "Meh, I'll keep my C5."

but.....

After reading F22's post, If form indeed followed function (integral cooler vents, hood vent, etc), I can learn to like it. Not a fan of the 18/19 wheel combo still, but I think that was a style choice easily rectified. I did and do like the air inlets right behind the doors. Wonder if the General finally put coilovers on from the factory?
curious, why are you not a fan of the 18/19 wheel combo?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08Indy
Love the new technology! Not sure about the design. I like the car from the front end to the "B" Pillar. From that point back it doesn't resemble any corvette I've ever seen. Weilborn said the car was more "International" and I'd agree with that, if he means it looks like a GTR or some of the European offerings. But I think he and GM are missing the mark. I believe Europeans and the rest of the world would buy a new Corvette because for it's performance and it's American design that stays true to the Corvette brand identity. This car unfortunately doesn't stay true to the brand identity from what I can see. Would like to see it in person though.
you don't think this looks like a new-generation Corvette?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
WRXtoVette
Intermediate

Default Ugly

FUGLY. Highly dissapointed in Chevrolet. All I kept thinking was please don't use the Camaro tail lights while waiting for this unvail. Stupid GM. Round tailights=Corvette. Will never like it. Happy I own a more traditional looking Corvette. Keeping the C-5.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by WRXtoVette
FUGLY. Highly dissapointed in Chevrolet. All I kept thinking was please don't use the Camaro tail lights while waiting for this unvail. Stupid GM. Round tailights=Corvette. Will never like it. Happy I own a more traditional looking Corvette. Keeping the C-5.
hey sorry to break it to ya but the C5 does not have round taillights. it has OVAL taillights. sorry. (time to sell it?)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

while we are on topic, do these look round to you?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
Hate it, everything about it is wrong, "nothing will be the same" effing right its not, I don't like corvettes so I can say...Hey cool Ferrari mated with chevrolet and produced the C7. its true that you can polish a turd, just get some meguiars and give it a rub down. I hate to say it but chevy dropped the ball. What was wrong with making the C6 even more badarse? I own a C6 and will own nothing less. Whoever approved this p.o.s should be put in the stalks and have crap flung at him. You dont mix camaro with corvette, and really viper?! what the f?! are they not our vehicular enemy? I understand that they were trying to get a broader fan base, but really? thats the best GM could do? I'm sorry but you people dropped the ball, i feel like its the transition from the C3 to the C4. If i pulled up to a C7 at a stop light I would roll my window up and shun the C7.
Hope you can afford one soon because talk is cheap until a C7 blow your doors with style.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
silver97
Instructor

Unsure about the tail lights but the side rear windows like they were taken off a MUSTANG? Otherwise I like everything else. The rear hatch is reminiscent of the C2 kinda. The side rear windows gotta go!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley1

Smiley1, have you seen the new issue of Corvette magazine? The one with the yellow ZR1 on the cover? The article is about the Corvette ZR1 in Europe and how tough it is to find dealership support, especially in England, but one gent got rid of his Audi R8 and went for a much-more-difficult to own ZR1

http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/7...-arthurs-court

Nothing much had changed when Lynch bought his ZR1 from Bauer Millett. He admits that the circumstances were far less than ideal for buying a new Corvette, especially a ZR1 which carried a sticker price close to $200,000 in the UK. Before closing the deal, Lynch says he asked himself, Am I mad? But he was eager to get back into a Corvette.

“I change my cars quite often,” Lynch explains. “I’ve had Ferraris, Bentleys, TVRs, Mercedes, Audis and Porsches. I’ve also had a number of Corvettes, including a C5 convertible, a C6 and a Z06, and have loved them all. My last car was an Audi R8 V10 Spyder which was a brilliant, superbly built and very fast car, but ultimately boring. It left me a bit cold.

"To put it another way, Lynch doesn’t miss his Audi R8. “I wanted a loud color and a loud car,” he says. “The ZR1 gives me a big grin every time I walk up to it."

We all know the Corvette is never going to have the absolute high-end interiors you'd expect out of an Aston Martin, Bugatti or some other exotic. We all know that a Corvette always has been and always will be a 'bang-for-the-buck car.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad, enough about the tailights. I think everyone gets that now.

The tailights of the blue car looked pretty good, IMO. Need to see it in the flesh, 2d pictures don't represent to well to the actual car.

Has anyone noticed the weight of the car????????? 3300 Lbs. Where is the "superlight vette" everyone said would be just fine with only "450" HP. **** this thing is heavier than my Z06, with only 45 more HP.

The magnetic suspension and new tires will be the biggest improvement.

Overall I like it, not in love, like I was with the C5Z06. But it will turn heads on the street.

Cant wait for car and driver to line it up with a 13 Z06 and see how she do.

I have been looking at porsche, but I am going to drive a C7 and a porsche back to back before dropping a big load of cash.

So the big wait is over, now on to waiting for the 1st instrumented test and lighting lap results................ the wait never ends, eh.

************ Let me be the 1st to say, I want to see the C7R from Pratt and Miller, I think them guys will have the aero/body tweaks that will take it from pretty good to friggn awesome. ****************************

Waiting on the C7R reveal.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well to be honest with you the C4 was one of the worst corvette designs. The squareish tailights didn't come around until a refresh of the car, as you see it here. Don't forget, they are calling this a "Stingray". What part of this car looks like a C2?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the car from the "B" pillar forward looks some what like a C3. From that point rearward it doesn't look like any Corvette I've seen. I believe the B pillar should be wider and the rear window should wrap around to the top of the rear fenders and the rear fenders themselves should be a bit softer without such a hard edge. The rear end is all wrong. It has very sharpe edges at the corners and the tailights should be round. If you've ever spent some time around a C2 you would know what I mean when I say it doesn't look at all like a Stringray. It doesn't even have any of it's styling cue's.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a scale of "MEH" to "YEAH!" I give it a solid "HMMPH". I'm happy for the people who dig it, but understanding of the people that don't. I hope I like it better on the street, because I'm not overwhelmed with joy by the pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Love that Silver One.

Will be very interested in the silver one with the red interior. They both look outstanding to me.

Originally Posted by Rasidel
I said it before and I'll say it again. This car is a work of art. It's the next-generation Vette, clearly. Bravo Chevy and GM, bravo.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a shop and we restore vintage Corvettes. We have a C2, a C3 and a C4 in our shop. The C3 doesn't have NONE of the styling cues of the C2, period. It looks nothing like the C2. The late C4 has none of the styling cues of the C3, though the early C4's shared the lower parking lamp design of the 81 and 82 C3's.

The C7 has NONE of the styling cues of the C6 and is the same break-away style of the C3 was to the C2.

The roofline of the C7 DOES have a similar cue to the C3. And it is a Corvette, period. There are late C3 haters, early C1 haters (don't like the bubble butt, but I sure like the 61's and 62's!!!), those who claim that the 63' is the only C2 to have (and the prices prove it) and then the early C4, vs late C4 (I own one, a 95') and the C5 haters (big ol' butt on that one, huh?) and the C6 fixed headlight haters (should've kept the flip doors, that's tradition damn it!) and now this.

Here's my take, I like ALL Corvettes. I like the 81-82's. I like the 64's. I like the C4's (especially the early C4 verts, they are gorgeous!). I like em all, because they're 'Vettes and I like this one too, thank you.

Last edited by F22; 01-14-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Hey, if any of the HATERS would read the details below the hi-res photos, they'd see how GM and Chevrolet busted butt to bring out something that didn't look like a rehash of anything else AND reworked just about every single detail in this car!

On Jalopnik, you'd be amazed at the response from the NON-Corvette crowd. You've got people WANTING a Corvette and that's amazing! Sometimes, you've got to throw tradition out the window, or things will just get stale (and ahem...old!).

I'l bet that despite the Camaro resemblance to the tail lights, this thing will look absolutely bad-*** sitting in traffic alongside anything else. If you can't look at this and imagine yourself being unhappy sitting in it, waiting for the light to turn green, then you've got problems.

Some of the details from Rasidel's linkee

While no single detail is repeated from previous generations, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray include the distinctive profile defined by a long dash-to-axle ratio and the greenhouse evoking the canopy of a fighter jet with dual-element taillamps. To this foundation, designers built a form vocabulary from two very different sources: aerospace and nature.

"For the new Corvette to be called a Stingray, it had to deliver an incredible, purposeful visual impact - just as the original did in 1963," said Tom Peters, exterior design director. "That visual impact is evident in fighter jets and the Stingray animal itself. Their beauty comes from their purpose, designed to cut through air or water as quickly and efficiently as possible. As with aircraft and living forms, every transition on every surface of the Corvette Stingray serves a purpose executed with beauty and proportion."

I own two 'vettes, a 74' Stingray and a 95' C4. What I like about the 95 C4', I saw in the C7. That's what the C5-C6 lacked, was that 'fighter pilot' feel to the cockpit.

The new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray interior blends fine materials and craftsmanship with advanced technologies that contribute to a more connected and more engaging driving experience, said Helen Emsley, interior design director.

"Every feature and detail in the interior is designed to enhance the driver's connection to the Corvette," Emsley said. "It starts with the fighter jet inspired wraparound cockpit; continues to build with the smaller steering wheel, more supportive seats, and high-definition, configurable screens, and is finished in gorgeous materials."

Hell yeah and thank you!

"The new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray interior blends fine materials and craftsmanship with advanced technologies that contribute to a more connected and more engaging driving experience, said Helen Emsley, interior design director."

"All-new, dual-element taillamps represent the greatest departure from tradition and are among the car's most dramatic elements. The three-dimensional, sculpted lenses house innovative indirect LED lighting. The state-of-the-art lighting uses hidden LED lamps that cast their light up from the bottom of the housing into a reverse reflector, creating an even glow (you're not going to see the overly bright LED's blaring at you sitting behind this 'Vette, unlike many new cars). LED lamps are also used for the white backup lamps. The taillamps integrate functional aircraft-style air outlets for the available differential and transmission coolers. (diff coolers! Only real race cars come with differential coolers and now you can buy a production Corvette with one? Wow...)

"From the front or rear, the signature lighting brings the new Corvette to life," said Peters. "It looks beautiful, sinister and more than a little intimidating. It gives the Corvette a nighttime appearance unlike anything else on the street."

When it comes to aerodynamics, the new Stingray is in a league of its own. Advanced computer-aided modeling programs were employed to predict and track airflow over, under and through the new Corvette's body. Engineers and designers also relied on data gleaned from the Corvette Racing program - the most successful program ever in the American Le Mans Series and the 2012 GT class champion - to help balance front and rear grip for high-speed stability.

And look at what they've done for the chassis!!! It ain't no overwarmed C6. Hell no!

"The technologically advanced foundation is an all-new aluminum frame structure that is 57 percent stiffer and 99 pounds (45 kg) lighter. The greater torsional rigidity reduces unwanted noise and improves ride and handling.

Compared to the previous generation, which used continuous hydroformed main frame rails with a constant 2mm wall thickness, the new Corvette's frame features main rails composed of five customized aluminum segments, including aluminum extrusions at each end, a center main rail section and hollow-cast nodes at the suspension interface points. Each segment is tuned - varying in thickness from 2mm to 11mm - tailoring the gauge, shape and strength properties to optimize the requirements for each frame section with minimal weight.

The frame is assembled at an all-new welding shop at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant using a unique laser welding process in which a computer-controlled beam of high energy joins the components with exceptional precision and tolerances of about 0.001-inch.

Supporting the frame's greater strength and lower weight are complementing chassis elements, including hollow-cast aluminum front and rear cradles that are approximately 25-percent lighter and 20-percent stiffer than the solid cradles used on the previous structure.

Then this:

The new Corvette Stingray's chassis and suspension are designed to take advantage of the lighter, stiffer structure. The reduced structural flex allowed engineers to more precisely tune the suspension and steering for a more nimble and responsive driving experience.

"An important goal for the seventh-generation Corvette was to create a more intimate and connected driving experience, said Mike Bailey, chassis vehicle system engineer. "Whether on the open road or on the track, we wanted drivers to feel comfortable and confident behind the wheel."

While the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray retains the racing-proven short/long-arm suspension design, front and rear, the components are all-new. Improvements to the suspension include hollow lower control arms which save approximately nine pounds (4 kg) per vehicle and new aluminum rear toe links which save 2.4 pounds (1.1 kg) over previous steel links.

The Corvette Stingray rides on new 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels, while models with the Z51 Performance Package roll on 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear forged aluminum wheels. New Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat tires developed specifically for the seventh-generation Corvette deliver comparable levels of grip than the wider tires of previous models.

As a result, the track-oriented Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package is capable of 1g in cornering acceleration - comparable to the 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. Significantly, that is achieved with narrower and lighter wheels and tires. The reduced "footprint" reduces rolling resistance, steering effort and road noise, contributing to a more nimble feel, more immediate steering response and greater touring comfort and efficiency.

I think they hit it out of the ball park!!! Get over the taillights and love what they've given you. Chevrolet put this under the Xmas tree and now I see a bunch of ingrates. They worked hard and there's been GM Designers on this thread and damn right, they should be proud and we should too!
I know GM has done a good job putting new technology into the C7.

But if this many of people, particularly Corvette enthusiasts(the potential buyers of C7) hate those Camaro taillights, I think GM has some work to do.
Who cares about what "NON-CORVETTE" people or non-car enthusiasts think of the Camaro taillights, they probably wont buy a C7 anyway.

What do you mean by "Sometimes, you've got to throw tradition out the window" ??? That only applies if people are complaining about the Vette's taillights.

Just stick to old saying.. DON'T FIX IT IF THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT

They didn't need to fix the taillights and put Camaro lights instead

Quick Reply: C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13