Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C7 Convertible pics @ Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest

Looks good to me!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
socci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video on msnbc sold me, thing looks great.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Speedy Gonzales
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kobra8
looks like there won't be any convertibles
maybe

Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
kobra8
3rd Gear

now that looks great!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Aggie_Vette
7th Gear

Default C7 by Chevy...rear end by Pontiac

Like a lot of you, I watched the unveiling Sunday. I love the tech, the upgrades to the interior, infotainment system, engine, etc. There is a lot to be excited about. I love the front and side looks. The hard edge or knife edge is neither great nor horrible. I can live with that. What I absolutely can not stand is the Pontiac looking rear end.

Before you label me a "hater" just remember that my opinion is just as valid as your opinion. Call it feedback or criticism, but I am on my second Vette and considering whether I want it to make it three, so I want GM to hear this customer's feedback.

Gauging by the comments throughout the threads, this is not simply a matter of some like it and some don't as with the other elements of the C7 design. There are some truly strong feelings of disappointment and disgust with the look of the back of the Vette and some pretty pointed comments.

Yes there are likers who claim the haters will "get used to it" and it will "grow on you". Most of the time on most design features, that turns out to be true. But I think this particular aspect will not follow that traditional path. I am betting GM changes the back some (or maybe a lot) for 2015 or 2016.

I know people reference the Camaro in comparison, but the only real commonality with the Camaro is the gaudiness of it. One is square and planar and one is hexagon and angled. I don't care for the look of the Camaro rear end either.

No, what really grinds me about the tail of the Corvette is that it looks like they put the out-of-work Pontiac team on it. Gaudy in the Pontiac tradition. The fat trim around the tail lights, the fire hawk style of it in general. Seriously, if Pontiac was still around and the Firebird was too, you know that the tail would a lot like what we see on the C7.

Pontiac's brand positioning was clear: cheap and gaudy and some of the ugliest cars on the road over the past 20+ years. Chevy was always positioned upstream. Yes, I know it isn't BMW or Mercedes kind of upstream. But the Vette is the flag ship of GM's top line, so for them to cheapen it by incorporating elements only worthy of the Pontiac name is just a big let down to Corvette fans and enthusiasts. It "cheapens" it in a way that simply was not necessary.

It's like a sick joke where somebody tricked the execs into thinking "this is what the next generation wants" but I don't remember this level of strong dislike and haters for any lone feature of the C6. This is different. That's why there is a flurry of activity of people photoshopping better looking rear ends.

The experiment is now running. I give them 2 years and the tail looks different from the factory, perhaps to coincide with the rollout of the Z06 and ZR1.

Last edited by Aggie_Vette; 01-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Aggie_Vette
7th Gear

Posting some example photos of what I mean by the Pontiac style. Gaudy body panels look and oversized logos up high in the center just like on the C7. Obviously this older generation firebird didn't use today's square taillike look. I picked it because of the bloated look it the design had.

Notice the similar look from a distance of the oversized Firebird symbol and the C7 oversized crossed flags are shaped similar (low in center sharp sweeping lines up on the sides. The crossed flags have been more horizontal (wider vs. taller) in the past.

I am not suggesting anyone would mix up the two cars side by side. I'm just saying the C7 is borrowing too much from the Pontiac mindset in the tail.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSon
I really want to see what the convertible looks like.
Me too. The wife already wants to trade in her 06 Vert for a C7 vert.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggie_Vette
Posting some example photos of what I mean by the Pontiac style. Gaudy body panels look and oversized logos up high in the center just like on the C7. Obviously this older generation firebird didn't use today's square taillike look. I picked it because of the bloated look it the design had.

Notice the similar look from a distance of the oversized Firebird symbol and the C7 oversized crossed flags are shaped similar (low in center sharp sweeping lines up on the sides. The crossed flags have been more horizontal (wider vs. taller) in the past.

I am not suggesting anyone would mix up the two cars side by side. I'm just saying the C7 is borrowing too much from the Pontiac mindset in the tail.
How much for the Firebird Trans-AM?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Aggie_Vette
7th Gear

Hmmmm.....$3.50....but you have to be seen driving it away. Fortunately for you, people are distracted with the Lance Armstrong interview and Manti Te'o scandal right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Rasidel
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasidel
How much would this car cost (i.e. how much could it be sold for) if it was made by any European brand, looking like this???? I'd guess in the mid 100's, easily. We don't know the official price yet but I think it's safe to say that this is going to be some serious bang for the buck!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Rasidel
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle
Hehehe.........I know both those guys
you smooth operator you.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 AM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by ElliottsVette
looks great to me, corvette with an Italian design, lots of performance upgrades, interior is awesome, count me in to buy one!
Unbelievable... A corvette with an italian design... Did you realy say that? maybe our military should copy italian tanks too!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by Aggie_Vette
Like a lot of you, I watched the unveiling Sunday. I love the tech, the upgrades to the interior, infotainment system, engine, etc. There is a lot to be excited about. I love the front and side looks. The hard edge or knife edge is neither great nor horrible. I can live with that. What I absolutely can not stand is the Pontiac looking rear end.

Before you label me a "hater" just remember that my opinion is just as valid as your opinion. Call it feedback or criticism, but I am on my second Vette and considering whether I want it to make it three, so I want GM to hear this customer's feedback.

Gauging by the comments throughout the threads, this is not simply a matter of some like it and some don't as with the other elements of the C7 design. There are some truly strong feelings of disappointment and disgust with the look of the back of the Vette and some pretty pointed comments.

Yes there are likers who claim the haters will "get used to it" and it will "grow on you". Most of the time on most design features, that turns out to be true. But I think this particular aspect will not follow that traditional path. I am betting GM changes the back some (or maybe a lot) for 2015 or 2016.

I know people reference the Camaro in comparison, but the only real commonality with the Camaro is the gaudiness of it. One is square and planar and one is hexagon and angled. I don't care for the look of the Camaro rear end either.

No, what really grinds me about the tail of the Corvette is that it looks like they put the out-of-work Pontiac team on it. Gaudy in the Pontiac tradition. The fat trim around the tail lights, the fire hawk style of it in general. Seriously, if Pontiac was still around and the Firebird was too, you know that the tail would a lot like what we see on the C7.

Pontiac's brand positioning was clear: cheap and gaudy and some of the ugliest cars on the road over the past 20+ years. Chevy was always positioned upstream. Yes, I know it isn't BMW or Mercedes kind of upstream. But the Vette is the flag ship of GM's top line, so for them to cheapen it by incorporating elements only worthy of the Pontiac name is just a big let down to Corvette fans and enthusiasts. It "cheapens" it in a way that simply was not necessary.

It's like a sick joke where somebody tricked the execs into thinking "this is what the next generation wants" but I don't remember this level of strong dislike and haters for any lone feature of the C6. This is different. That's why there is a flurry of activity of people photoshopping better looking rear ends.

The experiment is now running. I give them 2 years and the tail looks different from the factory, perhaps to coincide with the rollout of the Z06 and ZR1.
well put... But I'd like to say that all the attention on the mangled rear end is detracting from the unplesent lines on the hood. every time I see it I want to pull out an ironing board.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

I currently drive a 2013 camaro, and want to buy this new corvette in about a year and a half. I want a navy blue one. I love this new vette. I like it much better than the C6, and I like the C6. The C6 is a very fun car to drive. I test drove one, and I loved it. It was a 2LT coupe, and it was a beast.I'm 59 years old.

Last edited by Xfactors; 01-18-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Here's a video from Fox News on the new C7.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2099690111001/
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 AM
VetteSpeed-427
Advanced

I personally love the design of the C7 …… but have some reserves on the rear ….. however several GT and sport cars come with 4 (or 2) round taillights today, I think that it’s not a so bad idea to have something new and different on a corvette. I believe that the C7 rear end will look better in 2014 and even better in 2015 ….. some designs just need time.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM
SamBouez
Cruising

Do we have any good pictures of the rear end on a black or cyber gray metallic C7? I believe a lot of discontent people here might change their minds once they see how the rear looks on these two colors, simply because it will cover up for the taillight "teardrops" and mismatched colored panel. For example, if you compare the below video with the photos of the red C7, the aesthetic difference is most noticeable.

Originally Posted by BNR34RB26DETT
Here is a close look at the C7 plus trans, motor, and chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sdSFetQr0o
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badc5GoStrong
This rendition is much better. I like this rear end.
I don't.
And besides that, the rear vents of the Stingray are there for a reason!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
bonesbr549
Instructor

Well my feelings are mixed. When I wanted the first of the video I loved it coming at me, but the butt is just that butt ugly, but not a deal breaker. For me the sad part is color choices. But I miss my DSOM. Oh well, it was out of my price bracket anyway, but maybe some folks will jump and the c6's will become a possibility.

Quick Reply: C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13